Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Shooting

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 arrowhead

arrowhead

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:48 PM

been contemplating getting a ccw, so the wife and i went out to a friends place to do some shooting. neither one of us had ever fired a handgun before. he had 8 different types to choose from. .22 (2), .380, .45, .40, .357, .38, 9mm. s&w, glock, sig sauer, ruger. i hope i got those correct.

we must have fired off at least $100 worth of ammo. (he loads a lot of his own)

after all was said and done, i locked in on the glock .40 and the wife liked the .380.

after some research, it looks like the glock23 is the best for a ccw. i can get it in the .40.

now it's just a matter of taking the class.

anyway, i'm pointing down range.

#2 MAUI

MAUI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,873 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:01 PM

I like my S&W .357. A little bulky to carry in my shirt pocket tho.., But it can also chamber .38 cal.., At some point access to ammo is going to become important.., Just my opinion..,

But thanks for the warning.., I'll definitely call before I show up.., lol

• oldtimer likes this

#3 arrowhead

arrowhead

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:30 PM

I like my S&W .357. A little bulky to carry in my shirt pocket tho.., But it can also chamber .38 cal.., At some point access to ammo is going to become important.., Just my opinion..,

But thanks for the warning.., I'll definitely call before I show up.., lol

call cami annie oakley. lol i might start buying ammo before i get a gun. calling ahead is good.

i can always get a job at dhs to get ammo.

#4 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:15 PM

Glock is a good gun. A buddy of mine carries the 26.

I carry a shield 9. Small enough to easily conceal, but with plenty of stopping power. Also, sometimes carry a .38 with +p rounds.

I have been buying LOTS of ammo lately. .45, 9mm, .38, and .22lr

Congrats on taking the step. Smart move.

Save yourself a lecture and don't tell Bil. 😄

#5 arrowhead

arrowhead

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:42 PM

Glock is a good gun. A buddy of mine carries the 26.

I carry a shield 9. Small enough to easily conceal, but with plenty of stopping power. Also, sometimes carry a .38 with +p rounds.

I have been buying LOTS of ammo lately. .45, 9mm, .38, and .22lr

Congrats on taking the step. Smart move.

Save yourself a lecture and don't tell Bil.

i don't think bil ever comes in here.

#6 ATLchief

ATLchief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:28 PM

I've got a G23 and an S&W Shield (in .40).

That G23 will never let you down.  A friend of mine has had one since the late '90s, has put thousands of rounds (all types of ammo) through it, and never had so much as a failure to feed.

I haven't had mine for quite that long, but I've never had an issue with it.

By the way, the G19 is the 9mm version of the G23 (same frame).

#7 arrowhead

arrowhead

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:53 PM

I've got a G23 and an S&W Shield (in .40).

That G23 will never let you down.  A friend of mine has had one since the late '90s, has put thousands of rounds (all types of ammo) through it, and never had so much as a failure to feed.

I haven't had mine for quite that long, but I've never had an issue with it.

By the way, the G19 is the 9mm version of the G23 (same frame).

Thanks. I'll check it out.

#8 johnnyblack

johnnyblack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:47 AM

So...I'm curious, what ever came of this?

I have yet to shoot a .40 I liked...but never shot a .45 I didn't.

Then again, I carry a 3" ruger gp100, so go figure.

Hi Arrowhead.

#9 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:50 AM

Wow I forgot all about this..I wonder how it worked out as well. POOT changed from her S&W 642 in 38 Spcl after her "incident" and now carries a Taurus in a 40 cal. she likes it better and its slimmer. The Gun salesman thought it might be a bit "snappy" for her but then he dont know POOT LOL

#10 ATLchief

ATLchief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:08 PM

You hear the "snappy" adjective thrown around a lot when it comes to .40 S&W.

I own a couple of them, and I'll say that I find it to be pretty manageable.  One would be considered a "compact" size, the other a "full-size" semi-auto.  In both of them, I feel no ill-effects after a day at the range.

I did own a "sub-compact" semi-auto in .40.  Now, that was definitely "snappy."  Ended up getting rid of it, not due to the recoil, but I couldn't stand the trigger on the thing, so I traded it in on something else.

I'm very much a "to each his own" kind of guy when it comes to caliber preferences.

• oldtimer likes this

#11 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:09 AM

just cuz I'm into Ammo convenience I'll be looking into a 40 as well. I have a 357 and since it shoots 38's it was a convenient caliber..problem is I'm more of a wheel gun guy but I can be converted ..me & my 1911just did not mesh well..Lord knows why

#12 ATLchief

ATLchief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:07 PM

Seems like a good place to relay this story without starting a new post:

So I went by the LGS today to have some night sights put on a pistola of mine.

Holy shit.  You could not stir 'em with a stick in that place.

Keep in mind, this is on a Thursday morning at around 10:30.

The world's greatest gun salesman sure is driving the business.  Almost tempted to go by tomorrow just to see how big the crowd is after he cries for Anderson Cooper tonight at his "town hall" meeting.

#13 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:26 PM

Yep. 

Having never cared to have an AR, but considering that I might want one down the road, I am now looking into buying one before that asshole rids the country of them. 

I am also looking at high capacity pistols.  I am down to the CZ 75B, Beretta 92, or the Sig P226.

#14 ATLchief

ATLchief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:19 PM

Yep. 

Having never cared to have an AR, but considering that I might want one down the road, I am now looking into buying one before that asshole rids the country of them. 

I am also looking at high capacity pistols.  I am down to the CZ 75B, Beretta 92, or the Sig P226.

Been thinking the same thing about an AR-style rifle myself.

As far as the pistols go, that's gonna be a tough choice.  Don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

#15 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:53 PM

me 3..never much thought of a Black Rifle but now? why the heck why not?.. I like them AR Pistols and my boy has an AK Pistol...pretty cool stuff right there

#16 kccrow

kccrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:50 PM

Yep. 

Did you try an H&K USP in .40?  Curious what you think vs a Sig P229

#17 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:09 AM

Did you try an H&K USP in .40? Curious what you think vs a Sig P229

Have not tried one.

I know it is polymer framed. Probably would more accurately compare to the p320. Although, I think it is a DAO trigger.

I will probably go with the CZ chambered in 9mm. All steel, DA/SA, optional decocker, 16+1 capacity. And, $300 cheaper than a base p226.

#18 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:15 AM

just cuz I'm into Ammo convenience I'll be looking into a 40 as well. I have a 357 and since it shoots 38's it was a convenient caliber..problem is I'm more of a wheel gun guy but I can be converted ..me & my 1911just did not mesh well..Lord knows why

I am in love with my SA Loaded. Shoot the shit out of it. Thankfully, I have pretty much unlimited access to cheap .45acp.

#19 kccrow

kccrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:04 AM

Have not tried one.

I know it is polymer framed. Probably would more accurately compare to the p320. Although, I think it is a DAO trigger.

I will probably go with the CZ chambered in 9mm. All steel, DA/SA, optional decocker, 16+1 capacity. And, $300 cheaper than a base p226.

Thanks. Pretty much cannot go wrong with a CZ in 9mm for durability. Heard of peeps putting 10's of thousands of rounds through them without a failure. I was reading that they beefed up a few things in the CZ for the .40 cal, such as the slide and spring, but there is a bit of hammer slide on the primers from the pressure apparently. Either way, good solid gun.

#20 Evad

Evad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:38 PM

been contemplating getting a ccw, so the wife and i went out to a friends place to do some shooting. neither one of us had ever fired a handgun before. he had 8 different types to choose from. .22 (2), .380, .45, .40, .357, .38, 9mm. s&w, glock, sig sauer, ruger. i hope i got those correct.

we must have fired off at least $100 worth of ammo. (he loads a lot of his own)

after all was said and done, i locked in on the glock .40 and the wife liked the .380.

after some research, it looks like the glock23 is the best for a ccw. i can get it in the .40.

now it's just a matter of taking the class.

anyway, i'm pointing down range.

I did lots of research over this last year and four or five C&C guns kept popping up on the videos and recommendations, but the M&P Shield was a favorite on at least three that I looked at ..... so at Christmas time, i went to Cabelas (had lots of reward points) and touched about every one in the store .... ended up liking how the S&W felt and got it in the 9mm, no thumb safety version .... shot a hundred rounds down at the in-laws on Christmas day and it was delightful ....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users