Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Windows XP & TaxSlayer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:24 PM

Just an FYI guys. If your still on Windows XP & use Tax Slayer to do your e-filing you can not do it now. Tax Slayer is now not compatible per the Rep on the phone.

After several years with TaxSlayer I had to try Turbo Tax and it was ok but more expensive. I got it done and the results were usual as not much changed in our lives but it sure got frustrating there for a little while.

I am sure over time this will become more of an issue as long as I have XP.

• aimeeml4, Richardmt and maryannbr2 like this

#2 kccrow

kccrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:25 AM

My lord bud, upgrade or go with Linux if you're comfortable with it.

Windows 8.1 has a "permanent" desktop mode that wasn't available with 8.0 and makes using it much less painful for those of us that don't want a desktop to function like a touch-screen tablet.

The latest versions of Ubuntu are exactly the same as the Apple OS (oh how coincidental on Apple's part). Of course, if you like certain windows programs or games, Linux isn't for you. Libre Office is pretty well identical to Microsoft Office. For a person that basically only cruises the internet and does other "business-like" operations on their computer, Linux is ideal.

#3 Chiefs Convert

Chiefs Convert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:51 AM

Yeah, unless it's an ATM, it shouldn't be running XP anymore.

#4 robgar

robgar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:25 PM

There are still a handfull of legitimate reasons for people to be running xp, .. there are some proprietary software tools that where never ported to anything newer, and well some of the engineering software that some people I know use is to say the least rather expensive. If you are one of the people tied to these solutions you will want to stay with at least some form of running xp, the rest of the world should move away from it. But well the alternatives from microsoft still suck pretty bad.. windows 7 is almost o.k.

#5 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:27 PM

Xp is better than anything microsoft has put out since.

#6 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:29 PM

I'm waiting for 10 to come out . I am told f I buy a new setup with 8 I can get 10 for free but dont want the hassle of trying to learn twice, They say 10 is much like XP so I'll hope for the best.

#7 kccrow

kccrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:26 PM

I'm waiting for 10 to come out . I am told f I buy a new setup with 8 I can get 10 for free but dont want the hassle of trying to learn twice, They say 10 is much like XP so I'll hope for the best.

Windows 8.1 isn't bad. The 8.0 sucks because you are locked to that Start Screen made mostly for touch. With 8.1 you can choose to start in desktop mode instead, which makes it function about exactly the same as Windows 7 less a few caveats. I think 10 will play similarly off the 8.1 experience. It looks as though the one primary difference will be that when you click the Windows Start Icon, it will have a Start Screen-like slideout window which would function more similarly to XP/Vista/7 instead of the 8.1 transition to a full blown Start Screen. Either way, the software is going to remain heavily geared in design for touch screens with the desktop mode function that 8.1 already currently employs.

In my opinion, the transition from 8.1 to 10 is going to be relatively painless, almost unnoticeable. For you, the big transition is going from XP to 8.1 (or 10), especially if you haven't already climbed the ladder to 7.

#8 Chiefs Convert

Chiefs Convert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:58 PM

I'm one of the few people that like the 8.x start screen. Did you know you can just start typing what you want and it'll show up in a search for you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users