Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Need your opinion

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:29 AM

Looking into investing in a 1911 45. It has to be on the cheap, as I'm not rich and the wife would make me sell one of my other toys to offset this one if price is too high. Colt is definitely out.

Looked into the SA Military Spec. the Para and the Taurus. None are over $700.

Any of you enthusiasts have an opinion to share?

#2 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:51 AM

I had an SA Mil Spec with the 4" barrel & I really liked it. Depending on what you want to do with it I would consider the 5" Barrel tho they are more forgiving to shoot. I did end up getting a Competition Trigger and had the pull lighted up and put on some Hogue grips. The trigger pull a bit much for me. 

Para Ordnance makes a good product

Taurus? Well we just bought POOT an PT740 in 40 cal. Talking to a couple of people then reading reviews I began to worry about it but I think the reviewers were just "Haters" hers to date has preformed flawlessly and IMO Taurus has come a long way quality wise.

IF I were to get another 1911 I'd save or look for a used SA Range Officer. Big Jake has one and it leaves nothing to be desired. That being said I too am in the arena of To buy something has to sell & it sucks.

Are you shopping on Gun Broker or Buds?

#3 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:16 PM

Thanks, OT.

I checked gun broker, but not bud's.

There is a local shop here that is always below anyone else's prices (low overhead).  He only deals in new, though.  When I decide, I will have him price a new one.  If I can find a pricier version with more bells and whistles on one of the auction sites, I'll consider that.

I have a Taurus M85 and love it.  Actually keep it in the glove box of my wife's car for her protection.  The reviews on their 1911 were not encouraging though.

What do you think of Rock Island Armory?

#4 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:26 PM

Rock Island is a good brand.

Checkout the 1911forum.com they have a separate forum for each brand..it might clue you in to  what the strengths and weakness's are of each...one thing to remember & I'm not sure if this goes for all 1911's or just the basic like the Mil spec, They are finicky  on hollow point rounds. they were designed for FMJ's back in the day. It seemed that my SA had to tweaked by polishing the in ramp from the clip to the chamber to feed Self Defense rounds consistently. Some say to buy  After Market clips but at $30-$40 each & you can get It to feed consistently by having  SA or any factory to a custom job but that can get pricey &  made me shy away from my 1911 for a more reliable Self defense weapon.

hope that helps

#5 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:33 PM

My Dad has a Llama 1911. It shoots great, very accurate. I had never heard of the brand. Evidently it is Spanish military standard sidearm.(?).

He only paid $300 used.

#6 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:37 AM

yea I have heard of it but know nothing about them.. check the forum

#7 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:32 AM

Thanx, OT.

#8 ATLchief

ATLchief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:59 PM

My Dad has a Llama 1911. It shoots great, very accurate. I had never heard of the brand. Evidently it is Spanish military standard sidearm.(?).

He only paid $300 used.

Think Llama went bankrupt back in the '90's.

My dad used to have a little Llama III-A.  It looked like a miniature 1911, chambered in .380.  Really cool little gun. Ended up trading it on a Walther PPK.

#9 bigjake

bigjake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:21 PM

I have an SA Range Officer. Very nice gun without a big price tag. SA's are good to go.

#10 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:12 AM

Think I will go with a Springer. Just have to decide on the model. The Mil-Spec is $619, RO is $759, and I found the Loaded model on Buds for $704. Great price on the Loaded.

Since I am not a competition shooter 😎, I don't really need the RO.

OT, I guess SA has addressed the feeding issue with hps that you were having. They polish the feed ramps now at the factory. That was a big relief as I plan on using it for home defense.

#11 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:52 AM

Think I will go with a Springer. Just have to decide on the model. The Mil-Spec is $619, RO is $759, and I found the Loaded model on Buds for $704. Great price on the Loaded.

Since I am not a competition shooter , I don't really need the RO.

OT, I guess SA has addressed the feeding issue with hps that you were having. They polish the feed ramps now at the factory. That was a big relief as I plan on using it for home defense.

I wish they had polished mine. if I were confident that was the case  from a Mil spec on up I'd have me another SA in a prison minute.... but Mex has an XP .. I likes them a bunch. Kinda wish POOT woulda bought one when we went  shopping the other day for her new CCW bu she's happy with her choice and she shoots well with it

#12 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:47 PM

Purchased the Loaded from Bud's this morning. I tell ya, I just about bit the bullet and bought a Colt. Could have got an XSE model for another $150.

Oh well. I am happy with my decision and can't wait for the call from my FFL.

I'll post some pics when I get it.

#13 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:00 PM

very nice. I'm sure you will be pleased

#14 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:05 PM

11535668_1447929492175142_56529956947145

59765_1447929498841808_49442154682865666

#15 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:33 PM

SAAAAAWEEET!

#16 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:27 PM

I like it.

#17 ATLchief

ATLchief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:28 PM

beautiful

• Semo likes this

#18 bigjake

bigjake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:57 PM

Nice! Congrats!
  • Semo likes this

#19 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:52 PM

Took her out to the range for the fourth time today. She runs great. Got a shade over 200 rounds through her now and I have to say this is the most bad ass pistol I have ever owned. I am not a stellar shot by any means, but I shot 2 inch groupings at 10 yds and 4 inch groupings at 25 yds today. Not bad for a white boy.

Next to Colt, Springfield has to be the best factory 1911 out there. I'm already saving up for an RO Champion. It will be my EDC once I am comfortable with it.
  • oldtimer likes this

#20 ATLchief

ATLchief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:13 PM

Took her out to the range for the fourth time today. She runs great. Got a shade over 200 rounds through her now and I have to say this is the most bad ass pistol I have ever owned. I am not a stellar shot by any means, but I shot 2 inch groupings at 10 yds and 4 inch groupings at 25 yds today. Not bad for a white boy.

Next to Colt, Springfield has to be the best factory 1911 out there. I'm already saving up for an RO Champion. It will be my EDC once I am comfortable with it.

Glad she's runnin' so well for you Semo.  Congratulations.

Now start saving your pennies for one of these...you're gonna need a lot of pennies:

wilson-combat-tactical-elite-3.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users