Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

A deer story

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:46 PM

place aint really the same with Mex & Big Jake not chiming in from time to time. Maui is trotting around the globe enjoying Octoberfest and I sit here watching bad Chiefs football.

But I was able to participate in a  feel good experience this weekend.

First need to start with announcing that POOTs dad died a couple of weeks ago and now comes the complications of what happens to the estate of house &160 acres of good hunting in No Central Mo (Moberly area). But thats another story.

The father n law had a friend (Tom) . A Hell of a nice guy that lives down by Farmington. A Champion individual.! He & his son Colton had been Bow hunting the last few years up at the farm and wanted to know if they could still. Of course Yes and POOT & I would go up to help and just visit for the weekend. The weekend ended up being more work than anything else  but thats ok.

Sat evening about 6:30 Tom comes walking up to the house all spun out and big eyed saying how he had arrowed a nice Buck. We (POOT & I Tom /Colton ) packed up and prepared to help track, drag or whatever it took to recover the deer. We started tracking a decent enough blood trail that seemed to just keep on going and getting smaller. We heard some movement ahead of us that we presumed to be the wounded deer. We backed out & went back to the house to eat and let things relax a bit. After dinner about 9 ish we headed back out. and tracked and tracked and tracked till we ran out of energy and a blood trail, it was about 01:30. Very discouraged, fearing the worse we made the long journey home. The next morning we woke up with a renewed purpose and a hope that maybe we could find a dog that could help track. I texted a buddy & he put the Dog request on a hunting website that we frequent. Bingo! I got a call from a local guy that was willing to help. Well to make a even longer story short the dog picked up where we had last found blood and took us straight to the deer another 150 yrds away or so. Over all the tracking was over 600 yrds

I'm a sore bugger right now but feel good about the effort and the end result..cant say the same about our Chiefs

here's a pic. Tom with tracking dog & about a 135 class 10 point. A real nice buck .[attachment=27:tombuck.jpeg]

I think if you click on the pic it'll enlarge

• JeremyJar likes this

#2 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:55 PM

Nice deer, and story.

I grew up north of there, Kirksville area.  My Grandpa has a 300 acre farm east of there that we hunt.  Good timber with the Salt River running right through the middle of it.  Deer and Turkey galore.

There are some monster white tails even further north, Scotland and Clark counties.  Some of those areas are pretty thick, like where the road ends, if you know what I mean.  I'll venture in there, but when I hear the dueling banjos, I'm gone.  :D

#3 kcchief4lif

kcchief4lif

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:52 PM

Cool Deal OT!!

#4 MAUI

MAUI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,784 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:20 AM

Nice deer, nice story, nice dog. Should be back through in 2 weeks.

Hope the estate thing goes smoothly. That stuff can get messy.

#5 bigjake

bigjake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:16 AM

Cool story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users