Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Venison Italian Sausage and Venison Breakfast Sausage

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 kccrow

kccrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:25 PM

Couple of old standards for me, been using for a long time. Feel free to adjust meat mixture per your tastes, but the more venison you use the more it'll taste like venison (overpower the seasoning flavors) and the dryer it'll get.

Venison Italian Sausage (4 lbs)

2 lbs - Venison
2 lbs - Pork Butt Roast
4 tsp - Fennel (cracked)
2 tsp - Ground Black Pepper
2 tsp - Ground White Pepper
3 tsp - Salt (or Pickling Salt or adjust for Kosher Salt)
1-1/2 tsp - Garlic Powder
1 cup - Water (cold)

Course grind Venison and Pork Butt Roast. Mix thoroughly. In a bowl, mix all other ingredients. Pour seasoning mix over meat, then mix in thoroughly. Grind again on fine setting. Package for freezing.

Notes: For hot variation, add 1-1/2 tsp of Red Pepper Flakes to seasoning mix.

Venison Breakfast Sausage (4 lbs)

2 lb - Venison
2 lb - Pork Butt Roast
4 tsp - Salt (or Pickling Salt or adjust for Kosher Salt)
2 tsp - Sage
1 tsp - Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp - Ground White Pepper
1 tsp - Garlic Powder
1/3 cup - Water

Course grind Venison and Pork Butt Roast. Mix thoroughly. In a bowl, mix all other ingredients. Pour seasoning mix over meat, then mix in thoroughly. Grind again on fine setting. Package for freezing.

Notes: Adjust sage and garlic per taste. This does not have a heavy sage taste, its close to a Jimmy Dean store bought.

#2 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:55 PM

interesting

#3 kccrow

kccrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:40 AM

interesting

If you like Italian sausage, that recipe is absolute tits. It will not disappoint. Got it from my, now deceased, Italian uncle.

The breakfast sausage is good too, if you like it a little sage-ier, give it a tablespoon instead of 2 tsp.

#4 MAUI

MAUI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 21 December 2015 - 04:27 AM

I'll be bookmarking this.., Might add a little vinegar.., Just a touch.,,

Thanks..,

#5 kccrow

kccrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:04 AM

I'll be bookmarking this.., Might add a little vinegar.., Just a touch.,,

Thanks..,

No problem man. I always like to share shit like this, and I haven't done so on here in a long ass time. Let me know how that chorizo turns out for you if you  make it too.

I rarely find the need to stuff this shit in casings (although natural casings are the way to go) because a patty on a burger bun is just as good as one in a casing on a hotdog bun to me, plus I use alot of this in things like spaghetti and stuffed manicotti.

#6 kccrow

kccrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:08 AM

It's so funny, now that I think about it. People spend so much money in the store on sausages and they are so fucking easy to make. I mean, pork butt roast is like $1.89 a pound by me, but Italian Sausage and breakfast sausage sell for like 3.89 a pound. It takes about 15 minutes to whip up a batch and the spices are minimal and cheap. Why spend all that money? When I don't have venison I just use all pork. I just get a little pickier on the fat content or I mix in a loin roast with the butt roast.

#7 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:40 AM

we don't have a grinder.........why? I'm not sure. Wonder if there is one at the farm?. I'm bookmarking this one too & yes I like my B-fast sausage sagey & we love Italian Sausage

#8 kccrow

kccrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:58 PM

we don't have a grinder.........why? I'm not sure. Wonder if there is one at the farm?. I'm bookmarking this one too & yes I like my B-fast sausage sagey & we love Italian Sausage

Not sure if you happen to have a Kitchen Aid mixer or not, but if you do, this is all I use: http://www.acehardwa...&pla=pla_951732

Good enough for doing small batches. Not so great if you want to whip up 30 pounds a crack though. I usually do about 6 pounds a session, keeps from overheating the mixer (they do get hot and can burn up).

Otherwise, you can get a decent little grinder for $100 or less for small batches to keep the mixer out of the equation.  If you get really serious, commercial ones run about $500 for a 1 HP.

#9 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:36 PM

yes we got one of those mixers..thanx Crow

#10 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 01:04 AM

and it seems a grinder as well for said Kitchen Aid. I was telling POOT about your recipes and she informed me that I had bought one for her years back. I'm sure my lack of remembering such info is from my over zealous spending trying to keep my wife happy..(breaking my arm while patting myself on the back LOL)

Anyhoo she told me she used it once trying to grind Brisket into hamburger in order to impress a certain renown BBQ Judge that shall go nameless..cough cough Arrowhead while spending the night and it bogged up on her..any hints on how to prevent such happenings? Maybe chilled meat?

#11 kccrow

kccrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:33 AM

and it seems a grinder as well for said Kitchen Aid. I was telling POOT about your recipes and she informed me that I had bought one for her years back. I'm sure my lack of remembering such info is from my over zealous spending trying to keep my wife happy..(breaking my arm while patting myself on the back LOL)

Anyhoo she told me she used it once trying to grind Brisket into hamburger in order to impress a certain renown BBQ Judge that shall go nameless..cough cough Arrowhead while spending the night and it bogged up on her..any hints on how to prevent such happenings? Maybe chilled meat?

Good deal, and good man! haha

Here's what I do, maybe it'll help...

I make sure to trim off all the "stringy fat," the sinew and silver skin that like to bind up in the back of the augur drive (and even kind of melt to it when the drive gets hot, plus that shit makes your meat taste awful anyhow). Try to just keep the nice whole fat on the meat. I use chilled meat and I make 1" cubes (or so). Warm meat tends to string out and tear rather than cut cleanly, which causes binding. Make sure to use the wooden pusher to keep the meat flowing through at a good pace. If the meat sits and spins in the back of the augur, it tends to spin the fat around the back of the augur more quickly and bind. After I coarse grind, I pull out the augur and clean out the fat from the back of the feed with a knife then reassemble before fine grinding. I recommend not doing more than 5-6 pounds between cleanings.

• MAUI and oldtimer like this

#12 bigjake

bigjake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:30 AM

sounds tasty!

#13 MAUI

MAUI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:20 PM

S'up Jake.., Merry Christmas..,

#14 arrowhead

arrowhead

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:52 PM

I'm late to the party. lol. I'm willing to give any of her cooking another try any time.

• oldtimer likes this

#15 kccrow

kccrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:24 PM

Any one of you try any of this yet? Curious if my recipes need some tweaking or if you guys liked them the way they are.

#16 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:49 PM

prolly wont til next year. all our Deer is  cut and packed..working on a move to our own 160 acres so house has to stay meticulously clean

#17 Goldbrick

Goldbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:10 AM

Any one of you try any of this yet? Curious if my recipes need some tweaking or if you guys liked them the way they are.

I'd give it a try if I had some venison.

I think some toasted fennel seed and some red pepper flakes would be good in the breakfast sausage.

#18 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:32 AM

I'd give it a try if I had some venison.

I think some toasted fennel seed and some red pepper flakes would be good in the breakfast sausage.

go kill an elk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users