Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Tourtiere (French-Canadian Meat Pie)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kccrow

kccrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:06 AM

Not sure if you guys tried or liked any of my previous recipes, but figured I'd share a bit of my French-Canadian heritage for you all to enjoy if you so choose.

Tourtiere

Filling:
1 lb. Ground Pork
1 lb. Ground Beef or Venison
1 lg. Onion (minced)
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
3 slices Bread (wet) or sub. 1 c. Mashed Potatoes
3/4 c. Water
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Ground Cloves
1/4 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
1/4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp. Salt

I figure you all have a favorite pie crust recipe so I won't put that here...

Mix meats, wet bread (or mashed potatoes), and seasonings then set aside or chill overnight until ready to cook. In a kettle, cook onion in olive oil until it begins to change color. Add meat mixture and water to kettle (water should just cover meat, if not add a bit more), bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer on medium/low for 20-30 minutes or until meat is cooked and most of the water is absorbed. Stir frequently to break up meat as it cooks. While meat is cooking, make a double pie crust. Allow meat to chill to room temperature. Fill pie crust with meat mixture. Put slits in top crust. Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes. During final five minutes of baking, brush with egg and water mixture if you desire a textured top crust. Allow to cool to room temperature. Serve with tomato chutney, catsup, or gravy. This is a 2 bottle of wine recipe, one to keep you happy while you do all this work, and one for dinner.

#2 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:01 PM

with Gravy please

#3 kccrow

kccrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:53 AM

with Gravy please

Yes sir. My grandma taught me every great gravy starts with a great roux. Great roux starts with butter and ends with the flour being cooked at least until it smells nutty. Darker sauces require a darker roux.

This dish would be great with a gravy that has a sauce espagnole base (a brown roux, beef/veal stock, seasonings, tomato paste), such as bourgiugnonne (add onions, red wine, cayenne) or chasseur (shallots and mushrooms, parsley, chives, terragon).

I made a meat pie last night, might make me some gravy for it now that you have me thinking hahaha. :)

#4 JamesNok

JamesNok

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationСамара

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:31 PM

Meat Pies Boy I sure could go for some, but Im still gonna be out here Boar Hoggin for Hydrocarbons. Thats drilling for oil & gas. Have a safe ride and eat a pie for me too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users