Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

What do you think of those self-driving cars?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Sorass

Sorass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts
  • LocationWakarusa, Kansas

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:40 PM

The auto makers are drooling.  They can't get them on the market soon enough.

#2 eraser

eraser

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts
  • LocationPaducah

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

I want bumpers to knock them off the road without sustaining significant damage to my vehicle. I always go against the grain of conformism. Autonomy is not served by transportation by central authority.

• West likes this

#3 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,002 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:06 PM

I think they are great....They will put long haul truckers, cab drivers, UBER drivers, Bus Drivers, UPS Drivers, Fed Ex Drivers..out of a job while giving the central government more power, big companies more power and $$ all while putting more of my individual liberty at risk.

Let's see, take away their guns, then take away their cars...

Utopia here we come!!

Seriously, I have no interest in self driving cars...

w

#4 Sorass

Sorass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:44 PM

I think they are great....They will put long haul truckers, cab drivers, UBER drivers, Bus Drivers, UPS Drivers, Fed Ex Drivers..out of a job while giving the central government more power, big companies more power and $$ all while putting more of my individual liberty at risk.

Let's see, take away their guns, then take away their cars...

Utopia here we come!!

Seriously, I have no interest in self driving cars...

w

My problem is that computers fail constantly.  How would we like our son or daughter or spouse to be killed by a malfunctioning computer in someone else's vehicle? All I can say, is that those auto-manufacturers better have really good liability insurance.  How about a strong solar flare that makes all computers go out at once, with a hundred thousand people on the highways?  At least airline pilots can take over manually.  That would be hard to do if you are elderly and can't see or are sleeping in the back seat.  This is an idea that is complete insanity, and the auto manufacturers are racing toward this like they are starving and there is a huge cheesecake up ahead.  The first failure that kills somebody will happen within hours, and the entire industry will be ruined.  Who on earth thinks this is a good idea?

#5 Sorass

Sorass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:51 PM

I like the responses on this thread so far.  I hadn't considered at all the idea that this has anything to do with liberties or big government or utopia.  To me, my concern is that people will immediately start getting killed.  But maybe not.  Whoever heard of a computer having a glitch or failure?  What a preposterous idea.  Has no one on the boards of directors of these companies thought at all about this?  Do they think at all?  Or maybe they only think of the next quarterly statement?

Would some hackers from someplace enjoy killing more people at the push of a button than the sum total of all the terrorist attacks in the world by several orders of magnitude?  Just make every right turn command into an accelerator command.  Easy peasy.

#6 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,613 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:56 PM

My car has driven itself lots of times.
  • oldtimer likes this

#7 Sorass

Sorass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:57 PM

I know!  We could put Clinton's email server expert in charge of all those devices.

#8 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,002 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:07 PM

Your concerns are 100% valid Bil....

Hackers, Government Intrusion, Lack of Freedom, Bi Companies...Perfect- what could go wrong here?

I have yet to meet anyone outside of Google, that thinks this is a good idea.

Wait, Google and APPLE.....They are working on a project as well.

Just a note, I live 5 miles from Google HQ here in Silicon Valley....a day does not go by that I do not see a Google car.  I stay out of their way.

w

#9 MAUI

MAUI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:49 AM

My car has driven itself lots of times.

:lol:

Yep.., A good auto pilot and an experienced liver will get you home every time..,

• oldtimer and Semo like this

#10 Sorass

Sorass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:05 PM

I wonder if the cops can give a car a ticket instead of the driver.  Can they give it a DUI for using gasohol?

#11 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,002 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:02 PM

Go to Drudge...

UBER plans to roll out self driving cars soon.  Where?

States that do not have adequate LIABILITY LAWS.....

This whole thing creeps me out.

w

#12 azchief21

azchief21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:16 PM

I could not sit in a self driving car. I can barely be a passenger when my daughter drives. I don't even use cruise control.

#13 MAUI

MAUI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:35 PM

Go to Drudge...

UBER plans to roll out self driving cars soon.  Where?

States that do not have adequate LIABILITY LAWS.....

This whole thing creeps me out.

w

Reminds me of the Johnny Cab in Total Recall..,

• West likes this

#14 mullysalt

mullysalt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:00 PM

Every day there is some new story about autonomous cars and their development. Today it was Volvo and Uber partnering up to develop autonomous  XC 90s. Look out for those on the mean streets of Pittsburgh as Uber is partnered with Carnegie Mellon U.

Just a few miles down the road they are turning a portion of the former Willow Run Assembly Plant into an autonomous vehicle test track. There already is the MCity autonomous vehicle facility on the University of Michigan's North Campus.

Makes me want to go out and buy a manual. :)    

#15 Sorass

Sorass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:11 PM

We could go on a virtual family road trip and have the car take videos along the way and stream them to us.  Between cities, we can sit at home and watch cat videos on YouTube.

#16 Chiefsfan1963

Chiefsfan1963

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:03 AM

Until all cars are self driving it won't work. Like my guns I will not give up my trucks.

#17 Sorass

Sorass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:18 AM

Until all cars are self driving it won't work. Like my guns I will not give up my trucks.

Even if all cars are self-driving, it still won't work any more than computers never crash, malfunction, or get hacked.  Deaths on the roads will skyrocket.  You'd better keep your trucks...and your guns, if it makes you feel more secure.  Still, your trucks would likely still get crunched with you inside by some self-driving car with a computer glitch.

#18 Chiefsfan1963

Chiefsfan1963

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:36 AM

Still, your trucks would likely still get crunched with you inside by some self-driving car with a computer glitch.

I doubt it since my truck is primarily made of steal and these drive themself cars are made out of used Coors Light cans.

#19 Chiefs Convert

Chiefs Convert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:37 PM

Even if all cars are self-driving, it still won't work any more than computers never crash, malfunction, or get hacked.  Deaths on the roads will skyrocket.  You'd better keep your trucks...and your guns, if it makes you feel more secure.  Still, your trucks would likely still get crunched with you inside by some self-driving car with a computer glitch.

The brightest minds will have to come up with the code for autonomous vehicles. Their code must be infallible. There's no such thing as a computer glitch. Computers only do exactly what you tell them to.

#20 Sorass

Sorass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:45 PM

The brightest minds will have to come up with the code for autonomous vehicles. Their code must be infallible. There's no such thing as a computer glitch. Computers only do exactly what you tell them to.

Until the power fails...or a sensor...or a board, or the PRAM...or mechanical trauma...or maybe dirt or dust getting inside....or a bad silicon chip...or a solar flare.  Newsflash!  There is a thing called hardware.  There are long lines in the Apple Store or the Geek Squad, or the independent repair shops. Have you been there?  Do you think these things will not be connected to the internet for the police, repair shops, cab or Uber representatives, roadside assistance, marketers, the NSA?

What kind of world are you living in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users