Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Big Green Egg

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ATLchief

ATLchief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:31 AM

Well, the title says it all.  Those of you that enjoy cooking outside of your kitchen have surely heard of it.

I've been gazing longingly at them for several years.  Sort of like you would gaze upon the hot girl in high school that you never had a chance with.

Well, this weekend I finally banged the hot girl (metaphorically speaking). 

I turn 50 on the 20th of this month, and several of my relatives pitched in to purchase me a Large Big Green Egg (they go all the way up to XXLarge).

It was given to me yesterday.  I spent the rest of the day assembling it, and researching the cooking method.

Started off nice and easy today with some wings.  Cooked with indirect heat, pretty low and slow (350 for an hour).  Dusted them with an Asian-style rub that I like, and added just a bit of smoke before throwing them on.

The end result was very encouraging.  Juicy as hell with a nice crust from the rub.  My neighbor was losing his mind over them.

If anyone gives a shit, I'll be keeping you posted on my adventures with this fantastic grill/oven/smoker.

If you don't care, then sorry.  I'll still be keeping you posted anyway.

• Mugsy and aimeeml4 like this

#2 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:41 AM

Congrats.  They are nice.

#3 Chiefsfan1963

Chiefsfan1963

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:45 AM

Never used the egg. I personally have the Char-Griller Trio. Gas, charco and smoker in one. I have heard great things about the egg though.

#4 arrowhead

arrowhead

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:36 AM

http://biggreenegg.c...petition-teams/

#5 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:21 AM

I've been a fan of Akorn's.  Gives you what a BGE brings to the table at a fraction of the cost.

#6 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:42 AM

The Weber kettle grill is hard to beat.  I have used one for years.

#7 ATLchief

ATLchief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:30 PM

The Weber kettle grill is hard to beat.  I have used one for years.

Love mine, and have used one for years.  Also have a Weber gas grill.  My first Weber gas grill lasted me 14 years.  Definitely got my money's worth out of it.

#8 Goldbrick

Goldbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:02 AM

I have 2 Weber kettle grills and use them a lot during the summer.  The small one I mainly use to grill burgers, brats, steaks, etc.  The larger one I use to "roast" larger cuts of meat, like a pork loin, or whole chickens.  I also recently got a smoker.

I christened the smoker tonight by making sliders for dinner with smoked pork belly, a sweet onion BBQ sauce, and pickled vegetables (red onion, radishes, and jalapenos).  I don't want to brag, but they were fantastic.

#9 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:33 AM

I have 2 Weber kettle grills and use them a lot during the summer. The small one I mainly use to grill burgers, brats, steaks, etc. The larger one I use to "roast" larger cuts of meat, like a pork loin, or whole chickens. I also recently got a smoker.

I christened the smoker tonight by making sliders for dinner with smoked pork belly, a sweet onion BBQ sauce, and pickled vegetables (red onion, radishes, and jalapenos). I don't want to brag, but they were fantastic.

Sounds awesome.

The Weber kettle grill is one of the greatest products to ever hit the market. Use mine all year long.

#10 MAUI

MAUI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:33 PM

I got a cold smoker attachment for my charcoal grill for Christmas.., Smoked a ham and some salmon Christmas Day and came out nice.., Yesterday I smoked some venison strap and a slab of Mahi Mahi.., Love smoked fish.., Even makes Marlin taste good.., The venison I teryaki'd and made into little snack bags.., Goes really well with golf and cold beer.., Problem is, that was the end of my venison and now I need to refill my freezer..,

#11 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,768 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:43 PM

I got a cold smoker attachment for my charcoal grill for Christmas.., Smoked a ham and some salmon Christmas Day and came out nice.., Yesterday I smoked some venison strap and a slab of Mahi Mahi.., Love smoked fish.., Even makes Marlin taste good.., The venison I teryaki'd and made into little snack bags.., Goes really well with golf and cold beer.., Problem is, that was the end of my venison and now I need to refill my freezer..,

Poor thing has to go out and kill something :P

• MAUI and KC Warpaint like this

#12 KC Warpaint

KC Warpaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:19 AM

i have been researching the Trager grills that they do infomercials for, not cheap but i dropped a hint or two to my sons since my birthday is in april

#13 MAUI

MAUI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:38 AM

Poor thing has to go out and kill something :P

I guess I better get after it.., :lol:

• oldtimer likes this

#14 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:17 AM

i have been researching the Trager grills that they do infomercials for, not cheap but i dropped a hint or two to my sons since my birthday is in april

I would suggest going a different direction. Build quality and material quality has gone down with them.

Inlaw has a Green Mountain Grill with the wifi (the ultimate lazy shit) and seems to like it quite well.

#15 KC Warpaint

KC Warpaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

I would suggest going a different direction. Build quality and material quality has gone down with them.

Inlaw has a Green Mountain Grill with the wifi (the ultimate lazy shit) and seems to like it quite well.

have not heard much bad about trager, unless you have a link that i cannot find

#16 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,768 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:28 AM

#17 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:43 AM

have not heard much bad about trager, unless you have a link that i cannot find

Sure, just tell me how to link to first and second hand experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users