Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Thank you

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:12 PM

I had to leave discussion last night to be with my sis. She ha Stage 4 breast cancer. Anyway several of you sent well wishes. I appreciate it. Any family who has struggled with this knows you are on tinder hooks 24 a day. She is breathing better and scheduled to go home tomorrow. Thanks again.

#2 azchief21

azchief21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:25 PM

I had to leave discussion last night to be with my sis. She ha Stage 4 breast cancer. Anyway several of you sent well wishes. I appreciate it. Any family who has struggled with this knows you are on tinder hooks 24 a day. She is breathing better and scheduled to go home tomorrow. Thanks again.

Thoughts are with you and your sister. Glad she scheduled for home!

#3 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:19 AM

Best to you, your sister, and the family.  Prayers sent in you behalf.

#4 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:27 AM

Prayers for your family.

#5 eraser

eraser

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts
  • LocationPaducah

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:10 AM

My wife's younger sister was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was 38. Her doctor advised her the lump she felt was not really a lump, and did not warrant a mammogram. A few months later, she went back to the same doctor. This time he found the lump, and ordered tests. It was a particularly aggressive form of breast cancer. She was operated on, and went through chemotherapy, and radiation. Her husband shaved his head on her behalf.

We celebrated on July 4th. It had been one year, and she was free from cancer. So, it was a really good celebration. A few months later, things changed. The cancer was back. Within a few years, she succumbed to the dreadful disease. She was not quite 40 years of age. She left three children. One was older. Two were in grade school. That spring, we moved back to Kentucky, and helped their family.

So, breast cancer has affected our family. I can go deeper, and maybe I will later. For now, it is private. Prayers are going out for Wilkie, his sister, and their family.

#6 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:41 AM

E, my sister is 61. Diagnosed with breast cancer 4 years ago. Breast cancer is so common. She cannot take chemo anymore. Did it all including M D Anderson. Tough to watch. She stopped breathing last night but EMT revived her.

Cancer is so mean. Maybe the worst there is because it has lingered so long.

Having said all this she has rallied again.

I should be back to my fighting weight in a couple of days. Missed the arguments.

#7 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:06 AM

E, my sister is 61. Diagnosed with breast cancer 4 years ago. Breast cancer is so common. She cannot take chemo anymore. Did it all including M D Anderson. Tough to watch. She stopped breathing last night but EMT revived her.

I should be back to my fighting weight in a couple of days. Missed the arguments.

she's too young to give up

it's hard but she's gotta keep battling

#8 MAUI

MAUI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:47 AM

God bless you Wilks.., My heart goes out to you folks..,

• oldtimer likes this

#9 eraser

eraser

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts
  • LocationPaducah

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:21 AM

Hold tight to faith, and pray. There are things in this world we will never understand. Perhaps it is not meant for us to know. We press on, and fight the fight. Know this, you are not alone. God bless.

#10 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:14 PM

God bless you Wilks.., My heart goes out to you folks..,

yea what Maui said

#11 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,277 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:13 PM

Lots of prayers and good wishes.

w

#12 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:58 PM

Best of luck to your sister and family

#13 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:36 AM

She is going to the KU game next Saturday.   She has rallied more than I could have imagined.   Although it seems like after an emergency like last week there would be a general decline,  she is determined to have the best quality of life she can.   I don't know if had gone through all the trials and turmoil she has undergone,  if I would have the same optimistic outlook on life.  

Again thanks for the well wishes.  I didn't expect to post about this at all but once in awhile real life invades my antiquated political leanings.

• MAUI, oldtimer, West and 3 others like this

#14 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:41 PM

Latch on to any good news that you can Wilks.

#15 eraser

eraser

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts
  • LocationPaducah

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:36 AM

I can now report my little bit of news. My wife's sister died of breast cancer, Because of her sudden loss, my wife's doctor was able to get my wife into a sister study. As a result of this research, she was given extra scrutiny, including genetic testing. Genetic testing only accounts for a small percentage of cases. The genetic tests were negative, but in the course of her most recent tests, an abnormality was discovered. A mammogram this year indicated a possible lump that had eluded us before. In addition, there were other signs that were not quite right. After a MRI, she was told to have a biopsy of her breast.

The biopsy occurred a week ago Friday. We didn't get the results until this week. Although the cells of the area were not cancer, they were abnormal. So, a decision is to be made. Even though she is out of the woods for now, it is possible the cell could change more, and be a problem. The biopsy was difficult for her. She is tall, and thin. At first, a hollow needle is inserted into the breast. The needle was inserted, but it was too short, so it had to be retracted, and another put in place. In order to know, she will have to go through more routine biopsies, or they could perform a double mastectomy as a precaution.

We are going to get informed, and pray. At least it was not a deadly form of cancer that had to be addressed immediately.

Wilkie, I pray you have some comfort in knowing others are praying for you, your sister, and her family. We got a few prayers answered, and for now we have a period to rejoice.

#16 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:53 AM

I have been told that breast cancer has become the most common form of cancer of all the varieties. It is so cruel. She has held on for four years. I noticed that she looked and acted better the last two months than the last 3 years. She finally told the family that she had gone off chemo. She had the lumpectomy, 2 years worth of visits to M D Anderson, and she now cannot walk at all and forgets so many things. She is my baby sister and I have looked after her a long time. Funny when you are older you always figure you will go first. Not going to happen this time. It seems like so many people I know have had breast cancer.

E my sympathies and well wishes go with you as well. Breast cancer is not a death sentence for some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users