Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Tucker Carlson: 'It is Spying' to monitor Your Political Opponents and Violate Their Privacy Rights.

Ouch!

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:00 PM

Interesting... I had not heard of that.

Maybe OC can loan us the login credentials...

no way dude. Our liberal agenda needs to be private. We will let you in on it when we are ready.

#62 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,658 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:36 PM

I remember the story vaguely....good memory Maui.

w

#63 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:50 PM

That's pretty funny... the Society of Cincinnatus wanting to install GW as king. Wasn't it GW's respect for Cincinnatus (citizen, soldier, politician, then citizen again) that encouraged him to retire after just two terms, when he could have easily been king until he died... like FDR? The biggest lies are the best, I guess.

The difference with the press then, or at any other time, as opposed to now, is there has never been such absolute lopsided support for one side. I mean, look at how they called Trump a misogynist... pretty much for the last four months of the campaign... and continuing today... because of the recording that was released where he's talking about an encounter with a woman... and said he grabbed her pussy.

How horrible!!!

Wasn't too long ago that bill clinton directed a TEENAGE intern to insert a cigar into her vag, while he watched and snickered... and the press told us time and again how the American people don't care about sex... they just want clinton to be left alone to run the country... yada yada yada.

clinton was 100x worse misogynistically than trump, but when you look at how each of the two were treated by 90% of the press, it's pretty easy to see the imbalance, which was the point of my post.

the press sucks worse today than ever.

Responding to both jet and mex here... I was only speaking of the historical perspective. The press today is totally different especially given the consolidation of ownership of papers and with so many folding all together. Readership has declined dramatically.

Even with tv sources we are seeing more fragmented viewership than ever before. Ratings for all of the news sources have been tanking for years and continue to do so.

Online news has shown that you don't need a large viewership or a large amount of readers to be profitable. Rather you can have a smaller fan source as long as you take sides and build a passionate fan base.

There is no longer profitability in presenting both sides.

This is what makes ESPN's decision to politicize sports so weird. They are taking the liberal angle yet statistics show again and again the majority of rabid sports fans are conservative. To some extent this depends on the sport but in 3 of the 4 most popular sports it is overwhelmingly so (exception to some extent is NBA fans).

Clay Travis has a theory that the ESPN CEO wants to run for president as a democrat and has presented some compelling evidence on that.
  • jetlord likes this

#64 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:14 PM

Good post, Xen.  In the case of ESPN, one would think that maybe the executives and producers live in a New York echo chamber and don't really know the mood of the average Americans.  Also, consider who owns ESPN and it's not surprising that they try to propagandize liberal politics into sports broadcasting.  Most of us can filter out what we really want from them.

#65 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:14 PM

Good post, Xen.  In the case of ESPN, one would think that maybe the executives and producers live in a New York echo chamber and don't really know the mood of the average Americans.  Also, consider who owns ESPN and it's not surprising that they try to propagandize liberal politics into sports broadcasting.  Most of us can filter out what we really want from them.

i don't listen to espn radio, don't visit their site, and don't even turn to their channel unless it is a live sporting event.  have been that way for years.

espn is complete trash.  

#66 NChiefsCorner

NChiefsCorner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts
  • LocationLiberty, Missouri

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:26 PM

That's because your listening to NPR. :D

#67 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:47 PM

Good post, Xen. In the case of ESPN, one would think that maybe the executives and producers live in a New York echo chamber and don't really know the mood of the average Americans. Also, consider who owns ESPN and it's not surprising that they try to propagandize liberal politics into sports broadcasting. Most of us can filter out what we really want from them.

I haven't turned on ESPN in 15 years with the exception of MNF.

I watch the draft on NFL network because I like rich eisen and mayock.

Otherwise all my sports info comes online.

ESPN is a dead company walking. They are rapidly approaching the point of no longer being profitable. They have more to lose by cord cutters by far than any other network. This is due to ESPN making more per viewer than any other network from cable and satellite bundles. Their current deals also prevent them from offering over the top standalone service (think the HBO GO app).

They owe billions in contracts to the sports leagues so they can't cut their costs.

ESPN gets over 7 bucks per subscriber. No other channel costs over 2 bucks. ESPN actually gets more if you factor in the other ESPN owned channels. And while ESPN still earns billions, most of that money comes from people who don't watch the channel. The bundled subribers pay for it and the majority of those subscribers don't watch sports.

Cord cutters are eating ESPN's bottom line.

Eventually it will kill off ESPN unless Disney wants to spend all that marvel and star wars money to prop it up. If they don't we'll see a lot of games return to the free networks. That will eventually lower what sports leagues are getting from tv as ESPN's bids jacked up the price of those contracts.

It's going to get messy for us sports fans.

TL;DR ESPN is fucked.
  • West likes this

#68 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:56 PM

There is no longer profitability in presenting both sides.

This is very bad news. Pun intended.

#69 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:04 AM

This is very bad news. Pun intended.

Yep. But it's the truth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users