Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo
- - - - -

Chiefs visiting with Alabama LB Foster

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,277 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:30 PM

I'd fall over if he fell to the Chiefs but glad to see the front office doing their due diligence.

Is he really a NFL game changer?

worth trading up for?

I watched a lot of Bama Football & he's a stud but is he all that? I dunno.

http://www.12up.com/...pre-draft-visit

With the date fast approaching, teams are now in the final stages of vetting incoming talent and filling out their priority boards. Alabama's Reuben Foster will certainly be near the top of a lot of them. 

Foster is coming off a senior season in which the next closest guy on the roster to him in total tackles still trailed him by more than 30.

And this is Nick Saban's pro-style Alabama defense we're talking about. Foster is big time, and the Chiefs are aware of his talents, which is why they reportedly hosted him on Tuesday. 

KC could certainly benefit from the addition of Foster. He's an all-or-nothing kind of guy who already has an understanding of the way NFL defense is played, having spent three seasons under Saban. 

Foster is undoubtedly a first-round talent.

Foster is one of those guys primed to make an immediate impact at the next level.

Whoever can get their hands on him will be doing their defensive coordinator quite the favor for years to come.

This guy has the potential to be a real game-changer almost immediately.

#2 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:01 PM

They may just be filling squares, getting in visits for publicity.  Foster would be huge for the Chiefs but there's no way he falls to #27.

#3 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:26 PM

They may just be filling squares, getting in visits for publicity. Foster would be huge for the Chiefs but there's no way he falls to #27.

Yep. And there's no way they trade up for him either.

#4 ATLchief

ATLchief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:36 PM

Need him to fail a piss test.

#5 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,277 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:49 PM

They may just be filling squares, getting in visits for publicity.  Foster would be huge for the Chiefs but there's no way he falls to #27.

Yep. And there's no way they trade up for him either.

so that settles it..he drops to the low/mid 20's and the Chiefs trade up to get him

#6 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:33 PM

so that settles it..he drops to the low/mid 20's and the Chiefs trade up to get him

Probably.

#7 DefensiveMan

DefensiveMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:13 PM

Would be nice to have him. ILB is very deep in this draft.

#8 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:31 PM

You kick the tires because you just never know. He's one of the few ILBs in this draft that would fit in well in this D.

#9 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:17 PM

Like the way you think, OT.   :)

• oldtimer likes this

#10 kccrow

kccrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:17 AM

Would be nice to have him. ILB is very deep in this draft.

Agree about part 1. On part 2, I don't think depth equates to quality and I'm not even sure about the "depth" part of it. The draft has been weak as fuck at ILB for years and I really don't see this year as that strong either.

I'll discuss what I see as the better players and then highlight the ones that I think are good values and might be available... Overall, this group lacks size and that isn't really a great thing if you're running a 3-4.

Reuben Foster - WILL - Rd 1 (4-3 either OLB/ILB) - Concussions?

Kid should be a really good player for as long as his head holds up. Almost certainly gone by the time KC is up.

Haasan Reddick - WILL - Rd 1 (4-3 either OLB, but probably SOLB because Pass rush)

Ideally a 4-3 rush linebacker from the strong side, but he should be able to play anywhere. Has history of being a coverage player, but not so much in college. Will be a slight project that should end up alot like Jamie Collins. Likely long gone by the time KC is up.

Zach Cunningham - WILL - Rd 1-2 (4-3 WOLB)

Concerns about his tackling, but he was all Vandy had on D and he was everywhere. Would be an amazing 4-3 WOLB but he could fit in a DJ role at WILB here. Gotta keep him clean. If you're not taking a QB in 1, I'd look really hard here.

Raekwon McMillan - SILB - Rd 2 (4-3 SOLB/ILB)

Love this kid and would draft him in a heartbeat. He's just fast enough to be a 3 down player if a team wants him to be. Gotta have him fall to 59 though, and I'm not sure he does.

Jarrad Davis - WILL - Rd 2 (4-3 WOLB) - Injury concerns

Not sure about his ability to take on a block at all. I'm talking scrape through the falling bodies type, not disengaging. Florida had a really good front his entire time there that kept him super clean. Is he durable? Shows potential to be really good on the weak side in either front, but I don't think he can play ILB in a 4-3. Talks about him going 1, which to me is completely unwarranted. If he's there at 59, sure.

Anthony Walker - WILL - Rd 3 (4-3 WOLB/ILB)

Walker might be my favorite in this class. He got a bit knicked up early this year and idiots, I mean pundits, thought it was because he was overweight. When he got over the injury, he was back to a 8-10 tackle a game guy. Kid shut down McCaffrey. He's a great weak side option and could play anywhere in either front IMO, but might be best as a weakside backer in either front.

Duke Riley - WILL - Rd 3-4 (4-3 WOLB) - Seriously undersized

Small backers are en vogue so I see Riley going pretty early despite only starting a year. Weak side cover backer that will probably isn't going to help the run defense too much.

Alex Anzalone - WILL - Rd 3-4 (4-3 either OLB, but likely SOLB) - Serious Injury concerns

Kid would be a 1st round pick if he was ever healthy. Shoulders are very worrisome. He probably falls to the 4th/5th because of it. Kind of sucks, but you can't spend a day 2 pick on the guy even, IMO. I'd bold this kid if I were getting him in the 4th or later. 

Kendell Beckwith - SILB - Rd 4 (4-3 SOLB) - Slow/2 down only

Moves like a sloth but he can thump in the run game. I have him round 4 as a best case. He's going to fall hard. I'm not sure he goes before the 6th and he's really limited.

Ben Gedeon - SILB - Rd 5 (4-3 SOLB) - Slow/2 down only?

Gedeon is more of a Mauga type to me. He has a spot at the right price.

Matt Milano - WILL - Rd 5 (4-3 WOLB) - Seriously undersized/speed?

I don't think he has the speed to be like Riley, and if you're really small and don't have speed, you're limited to a special teams at best role. Good thing he's really outstanding on kick coverage.

Elijah Lee - WILL - Rd 5 (4-3 WOLB) - Undersized/lacks speed

Just like Milano, he's small and slow. I don't see him having much of a future in the NFL.

• oldtimer likes this

#11 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:09 AM

Crow I like your breakdown but I think you're overselling McMillan. I don't think he sifts through trash well enough to play inside for a 34. Probably would be much better outside in a 43.

How do you think reddick would do in DJ's spot? I thinking has tons of potential there but I do have concerns. Versatile guy though. I think he'll be a good one in the right situation. Could be great.

I do agree that foster is a pipe dream.

#12 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:13 AM

Need him to fail a piss test.

Now that is a great plan. Somebody get on this. Do we have any Auburn fans?

#13 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:16 AM

By the way I absolutely would trade up for foster but only if he dropped past 20. Price too high otherwise.

The combine bullshit doesn't really bother me either.

#14 kccrow

kccrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:46 AM

Crow I like your breakdown but I think you're overselling McMillan. I don't think he sifts through trash well enough to play inside for a 34. Probably would be much better outside in a 43.

How do you think reddick would do in DJ's spot? I thinking has tons of potential there but I do have concerns. Versatile guy though. I think he'll be a good one in the right situation. Could be great.

I do agree that foster is a pipe dream.

I like Reddick but I don't think he'll be there. I don't see him falling past Detroit and then Miami. Should be a good player, but I'd expect growing pains year 1. 

I think McMillan is one of the better LBs in this draft at taking on blocks, but really I think that's a silly way to talk about linebackers anyhow. I mean, I do mention it at times, but the reality is that ALL linebackers suck at taking on blocks. To me, that's kind of where a LB and a DE (3-4 OLB) are separated in the development process. The fact is, if an O-lineman get their hands on a linebacker, most of the time its over. The best hope you have is a backer that has the awareness to keep himself a bit clean, extend his arms when blockers try to engage, and angle away from the block. McMillan does this pretty damn well. Show me the linebackers that recognize where the play is going and effectively attack the gap the ball carrier is going to, and you'll show me a good linebacker. 

#15 DefensiveMan

DefensiveMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:49 AM

I like Reddick but I don't think he'll be there. I don't see him falling past Miami. Should be a good player, but I'd expect growing pains year 1. 

I think McMillan is one of the better LBs in this draft at taking on blocks, but really I think that's a silly way to talk about linebackers anyhow. I mean, I do mention it at times, but the reality is that ALL linebackers suck at taking on blocks. To me, that's kind of where a LB and a DE (3-4 OLB) are separated in the development process. The fact is, if an O-lineman get their hands on a linebacker, most of the time its over. The best hope you have is a backer that has the awareness to keep himself a bit clean, extend his arms when blockers try to engage, and angle away from the block. McMillan does this pretty damn well. Show me the linebackers that recognize where the play is going and effectively attack the gap the ball carrier is going to, and you'll show me a good linebacker. 

Jarrad Davis, has that anticipate and attack the gap mentality. The Chiefs should worry about his health issues though.

All this conversation could be futile if the Chiefs draft Dalvin Cook at 27. Two mocks today have him dropping. He's definitely mid 1st round talent. I would take Foster over Cook in a heartbeat. Foster, won't drop past the Colts.

#16 kccrow

kccrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:54 AM

Jarrad Davis, has that anticipate and attack the gap mentality. The Chiefs should worry about his health issues though.

All this conversation could be futile if the Chiefs draft Dalvin Cook at 27. Two mocks today have him dropping. He's definitely mid 1st round talent. I would take Foster over Cook in a heartbeat. Foster, won't drop past the Colts.

I really like Davis' teammate Anzalone alot better but man that shoulder worries me. I think it's gonna be an issue in the pros too. He missed alot of action in 2 seasons because of it. However, when Anzalone was on the field he made more plays. I do like Davis, I just wouldn't value him at 27 like some pundits are talking. I think that's way too early because of the injury history with him too. I will say, he is that attack and deliver type that is perfect for what the Chiefs do at the position. Man, that Florida defense was loaded the past couple years. 

#17 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:12 AM

I like Reddick but I don't think he'll be there. I don't see him falling past Detroit and then Miami. Should be a good player, but I'd expect growing pains year 1.

Meh. Show me a 34 ilb who can't get to a spot and I'll show you a special teams player because he won't see the field on defense. I hear what you are saying though. Common issue with college players including somewhat with foster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users