Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo
- - - - -

Looks like Mel Kiper got the message

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 DieHard

DieHard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:28 PM

So you think they are going to pay Alex Smith 20 million next year?

No they won't. But if there is not a better option at QB available they will extend him to get his cap number down.
  • kychief likes this

#22 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:31 PM

No they won't. But if there is not a better option at QB available they will extend him to get his cap number down.

So you think they will extend a QB that's in his mid 30's and declining? I can't see that being a good use of resources.

The only good, clear path I see for the Chiefs getting out of near cap hell in 2018 will be paying their starting QB peanuts vs the 20 mil that Even Steven Smith is due.

Now I'm not saying that it's impossible for Alex to play himself into an extension, but it's not likely. I think this year is it.
  • KCSLC2008 likes this

#23 DieHard

DieHard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:39 PM

Yes. If they don't have someone better to put on the field. 33 is not old for a QB. Lots of SBs have been one by QBs older than that.

I get that Alex if not what we want and I hope they find a better option. Just saying if they don't, they will extend him. Unfortunately we live in a world where Sam Bradford is worth a 1st and 4th round pick. It sucks that there are so few good QBs.
  • kychief likes this

#24 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:23 PM

33/34 may or may not be old, depending on the QB.  If they've been good at avoiding hits, than no not at all by any means.

Alex doesn't fit that profile, so I'd say the hits over the years (and injuries) are starting to take its toll.  He's already declining; no way I would extend another contract.

#25 DieHard

DieHard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:28 AM

Agreed. I am not lobbying for him, just saying no coach wants to field a losing team. Hopefully we land a better QB and it is mute point.

#26 kychief

kychief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationDaniel Boone National Forest.

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:13 AM

Yep.

#27 dhitter

dhitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:58 AM

Well there is so much that is going to factor into it. Anyone thinking Alex Smith absolutely cannot be a QB option beyond 2017 is fooling themselves. You obviously have not been paying attention to the kind of coach Andy Reid is. 

Say we do draft a 1st round QB this year. Hallelujah!!...we have our QBOTF!! Maybe. He might not be ready after one year. What if it takes 2 years before Andy Reid thinks he is ready? What are you going to do in that interim 2018 season? Put in Bray? Cut Smith and bring in a journeyman? Most likely Smith's contract will be restructured somehow. 

Anyone think differently?

#28 DieHard

DieHard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:53 AM

You are exactly right. It makes no sense to dump a QB that has contributed to the best 4 year stretch since the 90s. It just won't happen unless have suitable replacement.

Smith is probably not a guy that can play until he is 38, but he passed for more yards each year of his thirties

Better hope for better blocking and better running this year. And that the QB we draft can develop in just one year.

A receiving weapon early would not surprise me and would be a waste. Average QBs can't over come multiple drops and lack of separation.

#29 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:46 AM

Well there is so much that is going to factor into it. Anyone thinking Alex Smith absolutely cannot be a QB option beyond 2017 is fooling themselves. You obviously have not been paying attention to the kind of coach Andy Reid is. 

Say we do draft a 1st round QB this year. Hallelujah!!...we have our QBOTF!! Maybe. He might not be ready after one year. What if it takes 2 years before Andy Reid thinks he is ready? What are you going to do in that interim 2018 season? Put in Bray? Cut Smith and bring in a journeyman? Most likely Smith's contract will be restructured somehow. 

Anyone think differently?

Yeah.

I don't see any reason to believe he would take a massive cut or that he won't continue to decline.

#30 dhitter

dhitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

Yeah.

I don't see any reason to believe he would take a massive cut or that he won't continue to decline.

Okay so given the scenario....1. We draft a 1st round QB to be the QBOTF, 2. After the first year he isn't quite ready to start in 2018.

You say the Chiefs cut Alex Smith and either let Bray start for a year and hope your budding QBOTF isn't set back by watching a scrub or we go out and pick up a Colt McCoy or Brian Hoyer and hope our QBOTF isn't set back by watching a scrub. Hmmmm. Nice options there.

#31 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:39 PM

Okay so given the scenario....1. We draft a 1st round QB to be the QBOTF, 2. After the first year he isn't quite ready to start in 2018.

You say the Chiefs cut Alex Smith and either let Bray start for a year and hope your budding QBOTF isn't set back by watching a scrub or we go out and pick up a Colt McCoy or Brian Hoyer and hope our QBOTF isn't set back by watching a scrub. Hmmmm. Nice options there.

Maybe the Chiefs start their QBOTF a little before he's ready and let him take his lumps.  If the line is solid, the QB could develop sooner while playing even if more games are lost.

#32 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:37 PM

I think sitting a QB for 2 years is stupid unless they are a total project and people are overestimating how long they need to simmer.

Eventually a kid has to learn by playing.

#33 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:57 PM

I think sitting a QB for 2 years is stupid unless they are a total project and people are overestimating how long they need to simmer.

Eventually a kid has to learn by playing.

Unless you're Aaron Rogers.  Of course, BF refusing to go away may have been a factor there.   :)

#34 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:09 PM

Unless you're Aaron Rogers.  Of course, BF refusing to go away may have been a factor there.   :)

That and Favre turned it around and played some of his best football after they took Aaron. Think he would of been starting earlier otherwise.

#35 DieHard

DieHard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:43 AM

Yeah.

Not sure we have seen a decline with his yards and long completions going up each of the last three years. He even missed some time and had some effects from the concussion. And he didn't have Mac playing up to par. Still had more passing yards than any other year in his career. Don't get me wrong, I hope we can upgrade, but evidence of decline is not there right now.

#36 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:03 AM

His ability to gain yards on the ground fell off a cliff.

#37 DieHard

DieHard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:51 AM

True. I don't really want running QB. I want to get a ballsy guy that moves around in pocket and throws. I am kind of Leary about Jackson. He reminds me a little of Smith. With his deep throws and running I mean. I think he will win games but running really shorts careers it seems.

#38 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,470 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:10 AM

Who's Jackson?

#39 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members