Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Dem Governor's War on Women

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:01 PM

this is an opinion piece but I think those who have been here long enough know how POOT & I feel about this

http://www.washingto...d-women-blocke/

Protection orders are pieces of paper that can only do so much to keep women safe from violent men. But at the end of March, Virginia’s Democratic Gov. Terry McAuliffe vetoed a bill that would temporarily allow domestic violence victims to temporarily carry a permitted concealed handgun for 45 days without a permit. This is length of time it can take to process a permit application.

Mr. McAuliffe said it is “dangerous fiction that the victims of domestic violence will be safer by arming themselves.”

Guns do make it easier to kill. But there is a simple biological fact that gun control advocates like Mr. McAuliffe ignore. Men are typically much stronger physically than women, particularly when it comes to upper body strength. Unfortunately, real life isn’t like the movies where one single woman is able to knock out and overpower several well-trained men. Men are also tend to be faster runners. Even without a gun, men can do a lot of harm to or even kill a woman.

A gun represents a much bigger change in a woman’s ability to defend herself than it does in a man’s ability to hurt her.

My research in my book “More Guns, Less Crime” shows that murder rates decline when either more women or more men carry concealed handguns, but additionally I found a woman carrying a concealed handgun reduces the murder rate for women by about 3 to 4 times more than a man carrying a concealed handgun reduces the murder rate for men.

And this message is getting across to women. Between 2012 and 2016, in states that provide data by gender, the number of women with concealed handgun permits has increased twice as quickly as the number for men.

And a poll by Pew Research Center helps to explain this. The percent of women who say gun ownership protects people from crime has been growing faster than for men.

Of course, the whole discussion completely ignores the cases where a woman may brandish a gun to prevent bad things from happening. That is a reason that research such as mine looks at the rate at which women are murdered after they have been allowed to carry permitted concealed handguns.

Mr. McAuliffe pushed for Virginia to use background checks to stop people from getting guns if they are under a two-year protective order for domestic-violence offenses. But there is little evidence that background checks stop violent crime. Michael Bloomberg’s group, Everytown for Gun Safety, praises these laws for reducing the rate at which intimate partners kill women, but the group never actually examines how crime rates change before and after laws are adopted. They look across states and ignore the fact that the states that already had low rates at which intimate partners kill women were the ones that adopted these laws. When you look at murders before and after changes in these laws, no benefit was found.

Mr. McAuliffe points out that in 2014, there were “112 family and intimate-partner related homicides.” But he pads this number by counting 46 deaths that didn’t involve guns. More bizarrely, the state data looks at homicides, not murders. Most people don’t realize this, but homicides include self-defense killings. So Mr. McAuliffe’s number includes cases where a woman legitimately used a gun to defend herself from a violent partner. Nor does the state note that many of these intimate partner homicides were cases involving prostitutes.

Democrats have long attacked Republicans for not caring about violence against women. On Friday, after President Trump declared April to be national sexual assault awareness and prevention month, Tina Fey remarked that this was “surely an April Fools’ joke.” But the president has been a strong supporter of letting women carry guns for protection.

Democrats claim that they are the true defenders of women. But they apparently don’t trust women to protect themselves.

• John R. Lott Jr. is the president of the Crime Prevention Research Center and the author of “Dumbing Down the Courts: How politics keeps the smartest judges off the bench” (Bascom Hill Publishing Group, 2013).

• MAUI likes this

#2 MAUI

MAUI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:04 PM

Mr. McAuliffe said it is “dangerous fiction that the victims of domestic violence will be safer by arming themselves.”

Man, Its dangerous fiction to even believe that..,

#3 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:23 PM

We can't have people protecting themselves.

Saw where anit-gunners are now crying about AR-15s being unfair to use in home defense, citing the 3 burglars who were killed with one last week.

manoman

#4 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:54 PM

We can't have people protecting themselves.

Saw where anit-gunners are now crying about AR-15s being unfair to use in home defense, citing the 3 burglars who were killed with one last week.

manoman

i have been researching some guns for home defense and a very good case was made for the AR15.  i am no gun nut but have always been interested in them so it was nice to get that perspective since you don't hear about them used for that much.  

• mex likes this

#5 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,485 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:04 PM

Interesting....

IMO, Home defense is all about staying calm and being confident with what you have available in your pre-planned scenarios.

The type of weapon is not nearly as important as YOUR ability to access the situation and you ability to implement a   pre-conceived defense plan you and your family have put in place.

You need to plan for various scenarios because by definition you and your family will be REACTING to a threat.

1. Middle of the Night Break In

2. Middle of the day Break In

Where are you / you spouse and kids in each instance?

An AR is a horrible weapon to have to lug around all the time.  It is also going to take you some time to get it out of a gun safe and ready.

IMO, and there are others here with solid experience, I like a 45cal pistol ( Colt) in a Nightstand Drawer safe that you can keep ready.  I like the stopping power of the weapon.  My wife prefers a glock because it is easier to handle.

In the day time, we have a gate on our driveway just to keep jackasses out and to give us both more time.

In summary, if you are interested in Defense, the gun should be the last thing, think about depth of security.

w

• MAUI and oldtimer like this

#6 MAUI

MAUI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:29 PM

Excellent post West..,

#7 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:30 PM

Interesting....

IMO, Home defense is all about staying calm and being confident with what you have available in your pre-planned scenarios.

The type of weapon is not nearly as important as YOUR ability to access the situation and you ability to implement a   pre-conceived defense plan you and your family have put in place.

You need to plan for various scenarios because by definition you and your family will be REACTING to a threat.

1. Middle of the Night Break In

2. Middle of the day Break In

Where are you / you spouse and kids in each instance?

An AR is a horrible weapon to have to lug around all the time.  It is also going to take you some time to get it out of a gun safe and ready.

IMO, and there are others here with solid experience, I like a 45cal pistol ( Colt) in a Nightstand Drawer safe that you can keep ready.  I like the stopping power of the weapon.  My wife prefers a glock because it is easier to handle.

In the day time, we have a gate on our driveway just to keep jackasses out and to give us both more time.

In summary, if you are interested in Defense, the gun should be the last thing, think about depth of security.

w

oh i agree that it wouldn't be ideal

but the article made a compelling case based on a rise (they said) in multiple person break ins and the criminals being heavily armed.  to me it didn't seem practical.  

#8 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:42 PM

West,

During the day, I usually have either a 9mm in an IWB holster or a .380 in my pocket. Like you, I have a .45 by my bed. All are loaded with Federal Hydroshocks.

I also think an AR isn't a good idea for home defense (within city limits), but not for your reasons. My problem with an AR is that it will shoot through your house and the house next door. The law is pretty plain in that you are responsible for your shot and it is one of the first things you are told in CCW training. A hollow point like the hydroshock has far less range then the .223 and will slow considerably after contact. A 12 guage is a great option over the AR, if one prefers a long gun over a pistol.

If you live in a rural area with distant neighbors, an AR is probably okay.

JMO
  • West and omahacolt like this

#9 MAUI

MAUI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:32 PM

Our last line of defense is the back bedroom.., That's where the shotgun is.., Anyone coming through that door unidentified is vaporized..,

I learned that from a really good friend of mine..,

• oldtimer, West and mex like this

#10 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:47 PM

Our last line of defense is the back bedroom.., That's where the shotgun is.., Anyone coming through that door unidentified is vaporized..,

I learned that from a really good friend of mine..,

i am leaning towards a shotgun.

i would love to hear thoughts on this because i have been looking into this for awhile and right now have in mind a glock and a shotgun for home defense.  

#11 ATLchief

ATLchief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:50 PM

Ahhhh...more fine governance from our boy Terry.

He's such a scumbag...just look at a picture of him, and you immediately think "used car salesman."

Never trust a man named "Terry".

(yeah, yeah...Bradshaw, whatever.  Wouldn't trust him either).

If anyone on this board is named Terry, my apologies, but my opinion will not change.

#12 Goldbrick

Goldbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:21 AM

i am leaning towards a shotgun.

i would love to hear thoughts on this because i have been looking into this for awhile and right now have in mind a glock and a shotgun for home defense.  

This is one of the few things I agree with Joe Biden about.  If I'm ever in a home defense situation, the first thing I'm grabbing is a shotgun.  If there's time, I'll also grab a .357 for a "New York reload."

#13 ATLchief

ATLchief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:35 AM

This is one of the few things I agree with Joe Biden about.  If I'm ever in a home defense situation, the first thing I'm grabbing is a shotgun.  If there's time, I'll also grab a .357 for a "New York reload."

Just be careful of taking all of Joe's advice...

https://bearingarms....shotgun-advice/

#14 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,485 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:32 PM

all great points....

w

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users