Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

New York Becomes Only State to Offer Free Four-Year College

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 ATLchief

ATLchief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:21 AM

“Since this is an era when many people are concerned about 'fairness' and 'social justice,' what is your 'fair share' of what someone else has worked for?”

--Thomas Sowell

• jetlord and mex like this

#22 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:12 AM

i did not express outrage. I thought it was funny.

tomato tomahto

you'll still remain silent on the new, unsustainable entitlement that will hurt your children and mine

#23 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:15 AM

i have heard of nurses getting something similar. If they work in a certain place for a specified amount of time, their tuition is paid

lots of PRIVATE entities do that

the difference is, they pay for it BY CHOICE

#24 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,575 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:19 AM

i have heard of nurses getting something similar. If they work in a certain place for a specified amount of time, their tuition is paid

You could make the same argument that the military pays for education in return for some term of enlistment or even the academies, and they're taxpayer funded.  Somehow, that doesn't seem like the same thing.  If a state pays for education in return for teaching in rural areas or doctors/dentists committing to under served areas, at least there's a purpose beyond giving everyone a free ride.

#25 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

You could make the same argument that the military pays for education in return for some term of enlistment or even the academies, and they're taxpayer funded. Somehow, that doesn't seem like the same thing. If a state pays for education in return for teaching in rural areas or doctors/dentists committing to under served areas, at least there's a purpose beyond giving everyone a free ride.

i would say there is a purpose in education.

#26 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:01 AM

tomato tomahto

you'll still remain silent on the new, unsustainable entitlement that will hurt your children and mine

i said that I am not for it the way ny is doing it. I don't think free college is necessarily a bad thing.

I don't live in ny so how will this hurt my family?

#27 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:24 PM

i said that I am not for it the way ny is doing it. I don't think free college is necessarily a bad thing.

I don't live in ny so how will this hurt my family?

NY is 5 billion in debt

just like CA

both are leading the way in the purchasing of votes for 'free' stuff paid by someone else

it's morally reprehensible 

when those states cannot handle their own budgets, who do you think will bail them out

the fact that you have to even ask that question is disappointing

#28 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:13 PM

NY is 5 billion in debt

just like CA

both are leading the way in the purchasing of votes for 'free' stuff paid by someone else

it's morally reprehensible

when those states cannot handle their own budgets, who do you think will bail them out

the fact that you have to even ask that question is disappointing

i expect the states to figure it out.

If the states population wants free college and want to pay for it through taxes then it is what it is. I can't see the future so I am not going to assume they will need a bail out

#29 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,575 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:29 PM

i would say there is a purpose in education.

There's purpose in food and sex, but I don't see the state paying for either.  As posted above, everyone who wants a higher education has a means of getting it right now without the state just making it free to all, qualified or not.  Like food stamps, there's help for those who can't provide 100% of their own funds so no one is deprived.  Look what medicare/medicaid did to the cost of medicine.  What will college cost if the state pays for it?  Learn some history.

• oldtimer likes this

#30 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,575 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:29 PM

i expect the states to figure it out.

If the states population wants free college and want to pay for it through taxes then it is what it is. I can't see the future so I am not going to assume they will need a bail out

Learn some history.  :)

#31 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:50 PM

Learn some history. :)

the past doesn't always determine the future.

#32 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:59 PM

There's purpose in food and sex, but I don't see the state paying for either. As posted above, everyone who wants a higher education has a means of getting it right now without the state just making it free to all, qualified or not. Like food stamps, there's help for those who can't provide 100% of their own funds so no one is deprived. Look what medicare/medicaid did to the cost of medicine. What will college cost if the state pays for it? Learn some history.

is there a reason we can't fix issues? Take the corporate corruption/ paid politician out of it and see if Medicaid can be fixed.

Sorry but I don't buy that if one thing is broke, everything will be broke. I also think things can be fixed instead of stating they are bad and that is it.

If I want something in my personal life, I look for ways to cut wasteful spending. The government has tons of wasteful spending. Investing in education is something I will always be interested in.

#33 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:23 PM

is there a reason we can't fix issues? Take the corporate corruption/ paid politician out of it and see if Medicaid can be fixed.

Sorry but I don't buy that if one thing is broke, everything will be broke. I also think things can be fixed instead of stating they are bad and that is it.

If I want something in my personal life, I look for ways to cut wasteful spending. The government has tons of wasteful spending. Investing in education is something I will always be interested in.

I agree with getting corruption out of Washington. The problem is, as long as lobbyists are allowed to run rampant in Washington, you will never see the corruption end. They just provide too many perks for the politicians. It's too easy.

As far as education goes, I see nowhere in the Bill of Rights that free education is listed. The department of education is already a giant money hole in the United States is barely average compared with the rest of the world regarding said education. College tuition is outrageous currently. Why? Student loans and grants. Colleges know that those tuition fees are guaranteed paid and they can charge pretty much whatever they want. On top of the tuition they are also receiving funds via the tax payer. Public universities, anyway. And now you have the liberal sect out there whining that the student loans shouldn't even have to be repaid. Lunacy. So who gets left holding the bag? As usual, the taxpayers. It will be no different in New York. And eventually, it will be the taxpayers in all states bailing them out of this so called entitlement.
  • mex likes this

#34 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

I agree with getting corruption out of Washington. The problem is, as long as lobbyists are allowed to run rampant in Washington, you will never see the corruption end. They just provide too many perks for the politicians. It's too easy.

As far as education goes, I see nowhere in the Bill of Rights that free education is listed. The department of education is already a giant money hole in the United States is barely average compared with the rest of the world regarding said education. College tuition is outrageous currently. Why? Student loans and grants. Colleges know that those tuition fees are guaranteed paid and they can charge pretty much whatever they want. On top of the tuition they are also receiving funds via the tax payer. Public universities, anyway. And now you have the liberal sect out there whining that the student loans shouldn't even have to be repaid. Lunacy. So who gets left holding the bag? As usual, the taxpayers. It will be no different in New York. And eventually, it will be the taxpayers in all states bailing them out of this so called entitlement.

so do you want to get rid of all public school because it isn't in the bill of rights?

You are clearly stating an issue with college tuition now. Fix that and you have yourself a reasonable cost for an education

#35 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,575 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:03 PM

Taking lobbyists out of government decisions is a good goal, but a separate problem.  My point is that whenever government makes something "free", the demand causes the prices to rise dramatically.  Medicare and medicaid are prime examples.  College tuition rose well above the rate of inflation in the last generation or two.  I suggest that much of that rise is because students and their families care less about the costs when guaranteed loans take care of current costs.  It would be much worse if it was made free.  Pretty simple concept and history proves it true.

#36 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,575 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:03 PM

the past doesn't always determine the future.

True, but there's a lot of problems that can be avoided or lessened if we learn from it.

• oldtimer likes this

#37 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:20 PM

Taking lobbyists out of government decisions is a good goal, but a separate problem. My point is that whenever government makes something "free", the demand causes the prices to rise dramatically. Medicare and medicaid are prime examples. College tuition rose well above the rate of inflation in the last generation or two. I suggest that much of that rise is because students and their families care less about the costs when guaranteed loans take care of current costs. It would be much worse if it was made free. Pretty simple concept and history proves it true.

i don't understand here. Tuition is high because kids don't care because the loans are guaranteed?

I don't know of many people that aren't appalled with how much universities have jacked their prices. And I think the only reason the tuitions have skyrocketed is because they can. What is out there to stop them?

#38 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,575 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:57 PM

i don't understand here. Tuition is high because kids don't care because the loans are guaranteed?

I don't know of many people that aren't appalled with how much universities have jacked their prices. And I think the only reason the tuitions have skyrocketed is because they can. What is out there to stop them?

That's my point.  If the loans weren't so available, the parents and kids would more carefully shop for the best values.  Right now, there's no brake on tuition increases because the money is always there.

#39 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:00 PM

That's my point. If the loans weren't so available, the parents and kids would more carefully shop for the best values. Right now, there's no brake on tuition increases because the money is always there.

the money is not always there. I couldn't get a student loan because I had no credit. My parents wouldn't co-sign so I was s.o.l

So you have no issue with colleges jacking up prices? You blame that on the government?

Seems pretty simple to me.

College has gotten too expensive. Who sets the prices? The college.

Price gouging if you ask me.

#40 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:22 PM

the money is not always there. I couldn't get a student loan because I had no credit. My parents wouldn't co-sign so I was s.o.l

So you have no issue with colleges jacking up prices? You blame that on the government?

Seems pretty simple to me.

College has gotten too expensive. Who sets the prices? The college.

Price gouging if you ask me.

Most public colleges don't set their own tuition rates. Tuition and fees are set by the state regents in most cases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users