Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

New York Becomes Only State to Offer Free Four-Year College

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:48 AM

Most public colleges don't set their own tuition rates. Tuition and fees are set by the state regents in most cases.

i haven't found anything that says that. Not saying you are wrong. Just haven't seen it.

https://www.usnews.c...ces?context=amp

I did find this that backs up some of what jet was saying. Although it didn't say it was fact. It did clarify what he was saying so I understand his point better.

Pretty shitty how this works

#42 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:01 AM

https://mobile.nytim...ts-so-much.html

This was interesting as well

#43 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:07 AM

i expect the states to figure it out.

If the states population wants free college and want to pay for it through taxes then it is what it is. I can't see the future so I am not going to assume they will need a bail out

that's a cop out

the problem is, the people who want the freebies are NOT the people who are paying for it

look it up

typical case of 'we want it, and we want others to pay for it'

it's what the founders warned us about

they could 'see the future' 250 years ago, and you can't see it in front of your own face

#44 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:14 AM

What is out there to stop them?

if they stopped government backed student loans, and allowed the free market to actually work, vigorous competition between schools would keep prices down, like it does with every other good or service

• West likes this

#45 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:23 AM

that's a cop out

the problem is, the people who want the freebies are NOT the people who are paying for it

look it up

typical case of 'we want it, and we want others to pay for it'

it's what the founders warned us about

they could 'see the future' 250 years ago, and you can't see it in front of your own face

you pay for school up until 12th grade. Adding 2 or 4 more years isn't as absurd as you keep trying to make it out to be.

You don't think the people should have a say where their tax dollars go? How is that a cop out?

#46 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:23 AM

i haven't found anything that says that. Not saying you are wrong. Just haven't seen it.

https://www.usnews.c...ces?context=amp

I did find this that backs up some of what jet was saying. Although it didn't say it was fact. It did clarify what he was saying so I understand his point better.

Pretty shitty how this works

I probably shouldn't paint with such a broad brush. It varies by state. In some states the college board for that university sets the rates but in the majority of states it is set by a state board or the regents. A few are set by the state legislature or the state dept of education. New York is one of the latter.

#47 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:28 AM

so do you want to get rid of all public school because it isn't in the bill of rights?

You are clearly stating an issue with college tuition now. Fix that and you have yourself a reasonable cost for an education

I want to get rid of the DOE definitely. Public education should be left to the states.

What do you consider as a reasonable cost for education?

#48 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:29 AM

Students could always be smart and shop colleges to get the best deal. Or even smarter, get the first 2 years done at a low cost community college and live at home.
  • West and mex like this

#49 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:39 AM

you pay for school up until 12th grade. Adding 2 or 4 more years isn't as absurd as you keep trying to make it out to be.

You don't think the people should have a say where their tax dollars go? How is that a cop out?

at 18K per semester you goddam well should have a say where your tax dollars should go

do you think we're getting our money's worth in k-12?

if you do, you're disqualified from this debate

• West likes this

#50 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:49 AM

at 18K per semester you goddam well should have a say where your tax dollars should go

i say no based on everything I read about it.

Although I have been impressed with my daughters first year. Credit where it is due and all. They seem to be doing a good job there.

#51 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:58 AM

I want to get rid of the DOE definitely. Public education should be left to the states.

What do you consider as a reasonable cost for education?

good question. I don't know. But not this.

Higher education is crippling young kids and families. It isn't affordable. And you can't afford not to go. I am sure you could go back to say 1980 and find a fair cost that is in line with wage increases and such. It won't be close to what it is now.

Plus they drag the parents into it. Some 18 year olds are on their own.

#52 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:59 AM

and that is an absurd price. I am sure nobody is wanting to pay that.

#53 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:02 AM

Students could always be smart and shop colleges to get the best deal. Or even smarter, get the first 2 years done at a low cost community college and live at home.

an article I just read stated how colleges don't work as a free market. (Sorry mex)

They all want to be the same. Because that is a status and doesn't infringe upon people applying.

#54 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:18 AM

i say no based on everything I read about it.

Although I have been impressed with my daughters first year. Credit where it is due and all. They seem to be doing a good job there.

do yourself a favor and compare the cost of your daughter's first year to your first year

then compare the cost of your first year to someone's first year from the 1960's adjusted for inflation

prepare for some disappointment

oh and fyi, taxes that fund schools primarily come from property taxes

lots of people pay zero property taxes

so you can't say everyone is already paying for education because they aren't

and the NY taxes to fund college will be on only the wealthy

so not only did they have to pay their own college, they have to pay everyone else's now

is that fair? is that freedom?

#55 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:19 AM

an article I just read stated how colleges don't work as a free market. (Sorry mex)

They all want to be the same. Because that is a status and doesn't infringe upon people applying.

never said colleges work as a free market

in fact I said the opposite

your comprehension needs a tune up

#56 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:20 AM

and that is an absurd price. I am sure nobody is wanting to pay that.

dude please

18K for a semester is a COMMON price at many colleges

http://phillips-scho...f-college-list/

#57 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:26 AM

if they stopped government backed student loans, and allowed the free market to actually work, vigorous competition between schools would keep prices down, like it does with every other good or service

this isn't you saying the free market works? If you aren't saying that then I guess I really need to go back to school.

Because to me this reads like you are saying free market will keep prices down

#58 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:27 AM

dude please

18K for a semester is a COMMON price at many colleges

http://phillips-scho...f-college-list/

and that is an absurd price. That needs to change

#59 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:33 AM

do yourself a favor and compare the cost of your daughter's first year to your first year

then compare the cost of your first year to someone's first year from the 1960's adjusted for inflation

prepare for some disappointment

oh and fyi, taxes that fund schools primarily come from property taxes

lots of people pay zero property taxes

so you can't say everyone is already paying for education because they aren't

and the NY taxes to fund college will be on only the wealthy

so not only did they have to pay their own college, they have to pay everyone else's now

is that fair? is that freedom?

i have never lived in a place that didn't have property taxes. Where? Like Florida or vegas? Who are these lots of people? I want to go there.

Every article I read says the cost of college has skyrocketed since the 60's. Yes with inflation. My daughter is 6. While she is smart I don't think she is ready for college.

How would the taxes for college only be on the wealthy? Did I miss that somewhere?

#60 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:33 AM

this isn't you saying the free market works? If you aren't saying that then I guess I really need to go back to school.

Because to me this reads like you are saying free market will keep prices down

you need to go back to school

it says that the reason college costs have gotten out of hand (see link in previous post) is because government backed loans have removed market competition for prices. There is competition between colleges for students, but many of those students are not compelled to shop around. Heck I'll just get a loan, and when I graduate with my Women's Studies degree, I'll be making 120K and will pay it off.

As in healthcare, there is very little MARKET competition keeping the costs down for all. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users