Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

New York Becomes Only State to Offer Free Four-Year College

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#81 kcchief4lif

kcchief4lif

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:28 AM

My parents made too much money for me to get anything other than a student loan from the taxpayers. It took ten years, but I repaid every dime. I was able to get a small grant from the Masons, whom my dad has been a long time member. I had a small scholarship that pretty much just covered my books and other supplies. A full time summer job was used to pay my rent for the year on day one and a part time job the rest of the year paid for my other living expenses, including beer.:lol:

I chose a trade school and received the 2 year Associates of Technology degree. I didn't want to be stuck at a high priced university for 4 or more years. I worked hard, because, guess what, I was paying for it. That is the other problem I have with a free college education for all. Some won't give a shit and just use it as an extra 4 years to party because it isn't costing them anything.

If someone has a personal financial investment in something, they will bust ass to achieve their goal. Others, not so much.

Same boat semo. Hell i even worked loading grocery trucks from 8 to 2 at night, sometimes later, while going to tech school. You can bet your ass every night i went to that job it was a reminder of what I dont want out of life. This was also done NOT living under my parents roof.

Once i got my field job. I paid about 700 a month to my student loan to get it GONE!!

Makes me sick of the mindset of lots of people in this day and age. Gimmee gimmee gimme. It's my right!!!
  • Semo likes this

#82 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,470 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:33 AM

Same boat semo. Hell i even worked loading grocery trucks from 8 to 2 at night, sometimes later, while going to tech school. You can bet your ass every night i went to that job it was a reminder of what I dont want out of life. This was also done NOT living under my parents roof. Makes me sick of the mindset of lots of people in this day and age. Gimmee gimmee gimme. It's my right!!!

Damn right.

#83 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:15 PM

I had 2 jobs and went to college full time and every time I came home from breaks I picked up shifts at a restaurant. Started washing dishes then eventually learned to chef. Not a good chef like my brother. More of a "well, at least I probably won't food poison you" chef.
  • MAUI, kcchief4lif and mex like this

#84 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:11 PM

Okay, we figured it out.  College is too expensive because government interference allows unlimited spending on education.  Many kids don't take responsibility.  Xen is a bad cook.  OC has a reading comprehension problem.  Nothing more to say here.

#85 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,658 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:30 PM

Excellent summary Jet. :lol:

w

#86 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:55 PM

Okay, we figured it out. College is too expensive because government interference allows unlimited spending on education. Many kids don't take responsibility. Xen is a bad cook. OC has a reading comprehension problem. Nothing more to say here.

I comprehend just fine.

#87 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:50 AM

Hey asshole, I'm an excellent cook compared to you mouth breathers.

Just, you know, not compared to real chefs like my bro.

I've cooked at 5 star restaurants, I've catered even. I can do it... but that shit's hard work. It's fucking too hot in those kitchens for a delicate flower like myself.
  • West, jetlord and mex like this

#88 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,470 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:22 PM

Hey asshole, I'm an excellent cook compared to you mouth breathers.

Just, you know, not compared to real chefs like my bro.

I've cooked at 5 star restaurants, I've catered even. I can do it... but that shit's hard work. It's fucking too hot in those kitchens for a delicate flower like myself.

Does your brother still have his website where he sells the rubs?  I can't remember what it was called, but I used to order some from him.  Good stuff.

#89 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:32 PM

Does your brother still have his website where he sells the rubs? I can't remember what it was called, but I used to order some from him. Good stuff.

I don't think he still does the website. I was just talking to my dad and he was going to try and talk him into making us up a batch if he has time or barring that give us the recipe. I love that stuff. I've had a lot if bbq, not in arrowhead proportions, but still a lot. Some of the best rub I've ever had.

#90 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,470 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:47 PM

I don't think he still does the website. I was just talking to my dad and he was going to try and talk him into making us up a batch if he has time or barring that give us the recipe. I love that stuff. I've had a lot if bbq, not in arrowhead proportions, but still a lot. Some of the best rub I've ever had.

Yeah, he used a dehydrated honey in one of them.  That stuff was awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users