Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

China and Robots......

We spoke of this in the past.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Goldbrick

Goldbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:45 PM

The real issue in math education is getting the kids through Algebra.....if they stop before Algebra, they are done.

The issue there is teachers do not understand how to make math exciting and fun.  They need the ability to make interesting for 12 year olds.  That's a tough game.

Real-life applications would go a long way towards keeping them interested.  When they ask, "When am I ever gonna have to use this," there needs to be a better answer than, "Tonight when you're doing your homework."

#22 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:37 PM

Yet still people rail against common core mathematics which is meant to accelerate understanding of maths and allow students to leap forward in their abilities as it relates to things like programming and computer science.

I never railed against common core

don't know enough about it to rail for or against

that said, I larnt cipherin' just fine... with good ol' math books from the 1960's. Even larnt a little calculus in high school

enough that I can do anything necessary in life, and it didn't take much other than knowing my dad would beat my ass if I flunked

#23 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:41 PM

Real-life applications would go a long way towards keeping them interested.  When they ask, "When am I ever gonna have to use this," there needs to be a better answer than, "Tonight when you're doing your homework."

why? I hated algebra... who wouldn't in the 6th grade?? doesn't mean I didn't learn it

I never explained squat to my kids... told them to learn their shit... or else

that's the problem today... these little snowflakes can't accept that sometimes you gotta do something for your own good

you don't need an explanation, you just need to git r done

#24 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,697 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:28 PM

This issue with "Common Core" is not about Academic Standards.

The issue with Common Core is that the Federal Government should not be involved in setting the standards for Universal Education.

w

#25 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:13 PM

My mistake.  I shouldn't have said "common core math".  What was really meant is the system of teaching basic arithmetic operations is such a way that the parents and kids have no clue about how it really works.  A simple multiplication problem turns into a fourteen step process.  Kids don't care because everyone has a calculator in their pocket, but bypassing an understanding of what they're doing cut their chances of grasping higher math.

• West and mex like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users