Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Quotes on MOAB from John Nicholson

Classmate & Friend...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,502 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:38 PM

US Commander in Afghanistan: 'This Was the Right Weapon Against the Right Target'

moab-smoke.jpg?itok=2tKs7W7d
In this May 2004 photo, a plume of smoke rises over the Eglin Air Force Base reservation in Fort Walton Beach, Fla., during a test of the GBU-43B, or massive ordnance air blast (MOAB) weapon, which contains 11 tons of explosives. U.S. forces in Afghanistan struck an Islamic State tunnel complex in eastern Afghanistan on Thursday, April 13, 2017, with a GBU-43B, the largest non-nuclear weapon ever used in combat by the U.S. military, Pentagon officials said.

(CNSNews.com) - At a news conference in Afghanistan early Friday morning, Gen. John Nicholson, the commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, said the U.S. military coordinated yesterday's historic bomb attack on ISIS with the government of Afghanistan.

"The enemy uses tunnels and minefields to move around the battlefield and protect themselves from attacks from Afghan and U.S. forces," Nicholson said. "This was the right weapon against the right target."

Nicholson assured the Afghan people that the United States takes "every possible precaution" to prevent civilian casualties: "We have persistent surveillance over the area before, during and after the operation, and now we have Afghan and U.S. forces on the site and see no evidence of civilian casualties -- nor have there been any reports of civilian casualties."

The Afghanistan Ministry of Defense said 36 ISIS fighters were killed when the 21,600-pound bomb -- the largest non-nuclear weapon ever used in combat -- landed on their remote network of caves and tunnels, all of which were destroyed.

The bomb fell at 7:30 p.m. local time Thursday in eastern Nangarhar province, near the Pakistan border.

People living in the area described an earsplitting blast, the Associated Press reported.

The bomb, known officially as a GBU-43B, or massive ordnance air blast weapon, unleashes 11 tons of explosives.

At the White House on Thursday, President Trump hailed "another successful job" by the U.S. military.

"What I do is, I authorize my military. We have the greatest military, and they've done a job, as usual, and so we have given them total authorization. And that's what they're doing.

"If you look at what's happened over the last eight weeks and compare that to...what's happened over the last eight years, you'll see there's a tremendous difference -- tremendous difference, Trump said.

At his Friday news conference, Gen. Nicholson took some time to describe the brutality of the enemy that now has hundreds of fighters in Afghanistan:

moab.jpg?itok=jMNs7qvg
In this May 2004 photo, a group gathers around a GBU-43B, or massive ordnance air blast (MOAB) weapon, on display at the Air Force Armament Museum on Eglin Air Force Base near Valparaiso, Fla. (Mark Kulaw/Northwest Florida Daily News via AP)

"Since they arrived in southern Nangarhar, ISIS-K (the military's term for ISIS in Afghanistan) has dragged elders out of their homes and beheaded them in front of their families," Nicholson. He said ISIS has murdered men and boys, kidnapped wives and daughters, and killed or wounded hundreds of Afghan civilians.

"They have sent suicide bombers into mosques and murdered them at their prayers. And just last month, they shot and stabbed hospital patients lying in their beds.

"They are animals," Nicholson said.

He said the Afghan army, and specifically their commandos, are leading the fight against ISIS. "They're doing it on behalf of the people of Afghanistan, and indeed, they're doing it on behalf of all of us."

He said the U.S. is "united" with the Afghan government in preventing terrorists from establishing safe havens in Afghanistan.

“The Afghan army, and specifically their commandos, are leading this fight against these barbaric terrorists, they're doing it on behalf of the people of Afghanistan, and indeed, they're doing it on behalf of all of us,” the general said.

“The United States is committed to Afghanistan in this fight. We are united with the Afghan government to prevent terrorists from establishing safe havens in Afghanistan.”

#2 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:48 AM

How refreshing.  Military leaders making tactical military decisions.

#3 Chiefsfan1963

Chiefsfan1963

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:17 AM

Centralized Command, Decentralized Execution

What a novel concept.

#4 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:29 PM

It's the war that never ends...
And it goes on and on my friends...

#5 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

It's the war that never ends...
And it goes on and on my friends...

longest war in US history

I'm wondering what progress have we made... what we've accomplished?

#6 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:20 PM

I guess that depends on who you ask.

#7 Chiefsfan1963

Chiefsfan1963

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:01 PM

We've cleared out our arsenal of old MK82s, MK83s and MK84s. Better used on bad guys than dumpsters and burnt out hulks on a firing range.
  • oldtimer likes this

#8 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,502 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:43 PM

better ask the Russians...they are the guys driving everything apparently.

w

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users