Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Black Wednesday on ESPN

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:30 PM

Looks like ESPN is cleaning house..some names are pretty familiar

http://www.foxnews.c...-ed-werder.html

• maryannbr2 and robertfr16 like this

#2 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,470 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:39 PM

They won't fire the one's that need to be fired. There is so much race baiting nonsense on there anymore, I barely watch. Bomani Jones can't open his mouth without making some sort of remark regarding race. They are more worried about the social aspects of sports than what is on the field...everything is politicized. The whole network would go bye-bye in a perfect world.

#3 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:43 PM

I dont have cable so dont watch it. I do listen to 810 am  on the computer or if I can pick it up wherever I'm at and they are ESPN Affiliated .. I dont know about the Race bit but the likes of Jason Stark is almost unfathomable..fortunately many of these guys wont be unemployed unless they want to be.  I think ESPN is kinda like MTV and me..they were cool but now not so much

• West and Handswarmer like this

#4 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,658 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:00 PM

Agree....the MTV analogy is perfect.

w

• Handswarmer likes this

#5 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:47 AM

The problem with ESPN is they quickly became irrelevant at their core. There's literally no reason to watch them for Sports highlights anymore, when you can get it faster on a place like twitter with no filler.

They try to hold a sports monopoly and made some of the shittiest deals imaginable (LHN deal).

#6 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,470 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:43 AM

Another issue I have with them is the Insider feature on their website.  Is their info so spectacular that we should pay to read it?

#7 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:45 AM

The biggest problem with ESPN channels is they cost 10 times as much as any other single cable channel. They leveraged that into buying sports rights with contracts that mean they have to pay out billions every year to sports leagues.

The slide started with over the top media consumption thru apps, Netflix, Hulu etc... Cord cutters are hitting ESPN harder than any other media company. AMC can spend less on shows. ESPN can not stop paying the sports leagues.

There are 10,000 new cord cutters every day now. Every single one of them costs ESPN over 10 bucks a month.

At this rate by 2020 they will be losing money.

The question is how long will Disney be willing to spend star wars money to prop up espn. MNF comes up for renewal around then. ESPN paid 2 billion for the rights.

I think it goes back to free tv.

The on air talent and the original shows cost a fraction of sports league fees so that's just a drop in the bucket.

ESPN's pitch to cable and satellite companies about why they cost so much isn't sportscenter, it's live sports programming.

Twitter isn't killing ESPN, cord cutters are.
  • ATLchief likes this

#8 BroncoStud

BroncoStud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:12 AM

I haven't watched ESPN in years, it's just become a liberal racist POS political enterprise.  I hope they continue to suffer.

• MAUI, kcchief4lif, Handswarmer and 1 other like this

#9 Handswarmer

Handswarmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:58 PM

Millennials are driving the "Free" movement; Free Wifi, free tuition, free Internet, Free Content, Free everything.....

except Free Thinking....

• oldtimer, BroncoStud and mex like this

#10 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:49 AM

MNF is going to end up on Amazon Prime in a few years imo

#11 Handswarmer

Handswarmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:00 PM

I stopped watching it a long time ago...i couldn't stand the way they hang all over a stars nutz all the time.....

"Tom Brady popped a zit on his penis- lets go to Adam Schefter on location..."

"Guys, I can confirm that it WAS a whitehead, not a blackhead as previously thought....I can also tell you that Giselle was not, I repeat, NOT hit with any splatter. Team doctors are confident that Tom will be ready for Training Camp. Coach Bill Belichik was less forthcoming at his press conference, hastily called on the deck of his fishing boat."

Reporter - "Coach, do you think this zit popping will affect Tom's downfield accuracy?"

Coach Belichik - "Seattle"

Reporter - "Have you spoken with the leading Zit experts to find out what impact this will have on Tom's game?

Reporter - "Do you think this will affect Giselle traumatically to the point of being a distraction for Tom?"

• MAUI and oldtimer like this

#12 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:27 PM

I haven't watched ESPN in years, it's just become a liberal racist POS political enterprise.  I hope they continue to suffer.

while i don't see them as liberal or racist.  i havent watched espn in probably 6 years unless it was a live sporting event.   

so i guess you could be right but that is not why i stopped watching.  

#13 BroncoStud

BroncoStud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:24 AM

while i don't see them as liberal or racist.  i havent watched espn in probably 6 years unless it was a live sporting event.   

so i guess you could be right but that is not why i stopped watching.  

Well - chasing kids around the house also makes it harder to watch TV in general, which is really the reason I don't do it any more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users