Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Barack Obama’s Net Worth Surges After Leaving the White House, Thanks to Wall Street

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:01 PM

Barack Obama’s Net Worth Surges After Leaving the White House, Thanks to Wall Street

Chris Riotta,Newsweek 20 hours ago

There are valid reasons to be concerned by a president’s earnings, including after their tenure in the Oval Office. Where a former commander-in-chief earns his or her income–and the company they choose to keep after serving as the leader of the free world–could speak to their basic values in a way policies and legislation cannot.

So when some Americans, including Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren, saw former President Barack Obama accepting $400,000 speeches from Wall Street, signing book deals worth $65 million and vacationing with billionaires off the coast of Tahiti in a $300 million yacht, you can bet they were perplexed.

How could it be that Obama, the smooth-talking Democratic candidate in 2008 who slammed Wall Street greed and resonated with the working class in a way his party has since been unable to authentically recreate, is living his post-presidential life like an elitist one percenter?

Obama will receive an annual pension of over $200,000, after vetoing a bill passed by Congress in 2016 that would have capped each former president’s pension to that threshold. He raked in $400,000–the equivalent to his annual presidential salary–for a 90-minute interview Thursday in midtown Manhattan, where he spoke with a presidential historian on things like income inequality and civic engagement. He’s set to earn another $400,000 for a 60-minute speech during a conference hosted by the investment firm Cantor Fitzgerald.

And he doesn’t plan on slowing down any time soon: Harry Walker Agency, which represents the former president and his wife along the speaking circuit, is scheduling new appointments for the Obamas every single week.

Virtually every single president in modern American history has earned serious cash following their time in office. In fact, their years spent serving in the White House are typically their least-paid.

"We came out of the White House not only dead broke, but in debt," former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in a 2014 interview with Diane Sawyer. "We struggled to piece together the resources for mortgages for houses, for Chelsea's education. It was not easy."

The Clintons, as well as former President George W. Bush, earned millions following their time in the peoples’ house, receiving six-figure checks for Wall Street speeches and book tours. But the Obamas are set to earn an unprecedented post-presidency income, and its alarming his critics, supporters and other Democrats alike.

"I was troubled by that," Warren said when she learned Obama was charging $400,000 for his upcoming speech. "The influence of money, I describe it as a snake that slithers through Washington."

But don’t take her word for it: Obama once told his supporters he wasn’t tied up in corporate interests or the snake-like stronghold bankers and investment firms seem to have over many elected officials in the U.S.

"I did not run for office to be helping out a bunch of fat cat bankers on Wall Street," Obama said in 2009.

Maybe that Obama should have a talk with 2017 Obama.

https://www.yahoo.co...-162810927.html

#2 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,664 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:53 PM

Wish I could have said the same for me after retirement.

#3 NChiefsCorner

NChiefsCorner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts
  • LocationLiberty, Missouri

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:39 PM

How much is enough. :wacko:

#4 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

I'm all for making money in any legal and ethical way.  It's the hypocrisy that sticks out.  Obama campaigned against Wall Street excesses and now enriches himself on...Wall Street excess.  Hillary is the champion of women but aids and abets rape and sexual harassment.  Biden speaks of the need for government to force the "lucky" to help the poor yet gives near nothing in charity.  Obama has every right to make the maximum.  He has no right to claim he's more moral than Milkan, Boesky, Ichan, and especially Trump.

#5 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,664 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:47 PM

He's retired. So a m I. So are you. Anything you can earn in retirement belongs to you. You don't represent or speak for anyone else.

#6 NChiefsCorner

NChiefsCorner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:51 PM

With all due respect, you don't either. ;)

#7 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:10 PM

I'm all for making money in any legal and ethical way.  It's the hypocrisy that sticks out.  Obama campaigned against Wall Street excesses and now enriches himself on...Wall Street excess.  Hillary is the champion of women but aids and abets rape and sexual harassment.  Biden speaks of the need for government to force the "lucky" to help the poor yet gives near nothing in charity.  Obama has every right to make the maximum.  He has no right to claim he's more moral than Milkan, Boesky, Ichan, and especially Trump.

he is easily a better person than trump.  that much is blatantly obvious

#8 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:54 PM

define "better person"

#9 NChiefsCorner

NChiefsCorner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:58 AM

Liberals believe that they are better than you, Trump is a billionaire but still feels like he's one of us.

#10 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:04 AM

"I did not run for office to be helping out a bunch of fat cat bankers on Wall Street."

#1 Hypocrat

And the dumbasses defend him.

#11 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:22 AM

Links?   :lol:

Must be nice to be so in love with your own opinions.

#12 MAUI

MAUI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:24 AM

I don't understand what the big deal is.., Wall Street can afford it, he's retired.., He's earned the right to pocket a little change.., It's the American way..,

People don't like it.., Fuck em.., It ain't like it's costing them any money..,

• mex likes this

#13 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:48 PM

It certainly is costing money. Last time I checked, they borrowed trillions to bail out those big corporations who were "too big to fail". That's Wall Street. The same fat cats obam was lambasting all those years (when it served him.)

Interest on the debt costs taxpayers almost 300 billion every single year. Every household owes 158,000. Every individual owes 61,000. Now some of those borrowed bailout dollars are going back into obams pocket. How convenient. And the rest of us are another ten trillion in debt.

Fuck obam and the useful idiots who support that garbage...
  • mex likes this

#14 MAUI

MAUI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:04 PM

Him getting $400K for a speech has nothing to do with the interest on the debt or what it costs each household.., They'd just end up giving that money to some corporate executives as bonuses anyway..,  The bailout was almost a decade ago..,

He's retired, they can afford it, so what.., If they wanna pay a guy that's been calling them names and the enemy of America for the last 8 years I say go ahead.., No skin off my ass.., Funny how his 'enemies' wanna give him money and his 'friends' wanna burn him at the stake.., You can't buy this kind of free entertainment in my opinion..,

#15 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

Him getting $400K for a speech has nothing to do with the interest on the debt or what it costs each household.., They'd just end up giving that money to some corporate executives as bonuses anyway.., The bailout was almost a decade ago..,

He's retired, they can afford it, so what.., If they wanna pay a guy that's been calling them names and the enemy of America for the last 8 years I say go ahead.., No skin off my ass.., Funny how his 'enemies' wanna give him money and his 'friends' wanna burn him at the stake.., You can't buy this kind of free entertainment in my opinion..,

Ha. That's because he was never their enemy.
  • MAUI and mex like this

#16 MAUI

MAUI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:08 PM

Ha. That's because he was never their enemy.

Good point..,

#17 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:00 PM

The hell he's retired.

#18 MAUI

MAUI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:28 AM

Another good point.., Fun to watch the DNC eat one of their own.., Still wouldn't bother me if they paid him a million.., Might even be more fun to watch.., Up to him how he wants to make his money..,

#19 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 02:06 AM

I am a capitalist....As long as Obama pays his 50% in taxes I am fine with it... :D

w

#20 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:45 AM

I am a capitalist....As long as Obama pays his 50% in taxes I am fine with it... :D

w

But the rich don't pay enough.  I'll bet that Obama voluntarily sends the IRS a little extra.  It's only fair, you know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users