Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo
- - - - -

Another Perspective

Elliot Harrison

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#21 Okiechief1

Okiechief1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:33 PM

I don't understand the contention that since Mahomes isn't ready to start, he's not worth investing in. Favre wasn't ready to start his initial year or so. Even Elway didn't light it up his first year. Reid and Dorsey think Mahomes will be a starter in two (maybe one) year and took the risk to nab him. I'm not one of the Alex haters. He's helped turn this team from a consistent loser into one of the winningest regular season teams in the last four years. But two years from now, he won't be the starter and the Chiefs have two choices. Take another backup or develop a QBOTF. Mahomes has the best raw skills of this year's class. He may very well fail, but it won't be because he isn't ready to start this year. Smith will win more games than anyone else the Chiefs could come up with THIS YEAR. Now the Chiefs have a chance to win more games after Smith is gone. Pretty simple.

Yep

Rivers didn't start his first year and he was a top 5 pick. Palmer was the #1 overall pick in 2003 and didn't even have a pass attempt that year.

#22 DieHard

DieHard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:01 PM

I don't understand the contention that since Mahomes isn't ready to start, he's not worth investing in. Favre wasn't ready to start his initial year or so. Even Elway didn't light it up his first year. Reid and Dorsey think Mahomes will be a starter in two (maybe one) year and took the risk to nab him. I'm not one of the Alex haters. He's helped turn this team from a consistent loser into one of the winningest regular season teams in the last four years. But two years from now, he won't be the starter and the Chiefs have two choices. Take another backup or develop a QBOTF. Mahomes has the best raw skills of this year's class. He may very well fail, but it won't be because he isn't ready to start this year. Smith will win more games than anyone else the Chiefs could come up with THIS YEAR. Now the Chiefs have a chance to win more games after Smith is gone. Pretty simple.

Well said.

#23 dhitter

dhitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:06 PM

Dude...stop using logic and reason. It confuses those that opt for over reaction and hyperbole.
  • AlwaysChiefs likes this

#24 NChiefsCorner

NChiefsCorner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts
  • LocationLiberty, Missouri

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:31 PM

How about we just let it play out and see who turns out to be right. ;)

#25 KCSLC2008

KCSLC2008

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:40 PM

The reason they took a QB this year was because of the pressure that the Chiefs have not taken a QB in the 1st round since Todd Blackledge, so if you don't think that there is no pressure to play this kid IMO you are wrong, like I said time will tell, but Alex Smith played 9 games as a rookie.

Alex Smith played nine games in his rookie year because he was on a bad team that wasn't going to win anything that year, not even in the regular season. He was also the first overall draft pick which is a bit different than the 10th overall. No one had any support for the original starter like Smith has now. And support can be for this year only, I'm not talking about those who feel that Smith would be longer. Smith is also better than who the Niners had starting and will win more than they did. We also have a better coach than the Niners did and thirst would make better decisions than throwing him to the fire.

#26 NChiefsCorner

NChiefsCorner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:49 PM

Derek Carr was a 2nd round pick that beat out Matt Schuab and started from game one, so it is possible that the same thing could happen with Mahomes beating out Smith to start from game one or are you saying it is not possible at all.

#27 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:51 PM

It's not impossible.

#28 Calichief

Calichief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:52 PM

It's not impossible.

If he truly grinds he can fix the footwork.
I think reading the defense, playbook, and not forcing balls are what will take the longest.

#29 NChiefsCorner

NChiefsCorner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:54 PM

Fixing the footwork is a joke, the kid makes plays just like Aaron Rodgers who doesn't have the best footwork either.

#30 Calichief

Calichief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

Fixing the footwork is a joke, the kid makes plays just like Aaron Rodgers who doesn't have the best footwork either.

I'm referring the under center tech.
I agree with you on the rest

#31 NChiefsCorner

NChiefsCorner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:09 PM

Shouldn't be a problem, because not only is he talented, he's smart.

#32 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:10 PM

You know we are in weird times when even walterfootball understands

"2017 NFL Draft Accomplishments: Some former NFL players do a good job on TV, but the danger with having them as analysts is that they're too close to other players and will be biased as a result. That is why it seemed like everyone went out of their way to defend Alex Smith in the wake of the Patrick Mahomes selection. The argument is that the Chiefs are so close that they need only a couple more pieces to win the Super Bowl. That's true, but one of the needed pieces happens to be a quarterback. Smith has proven that he's incapable of winning more than one playoff game per run because of his limitations, and Andy Reid finally recognized that."

He's 100% right.
  • Calichief likes this

#33 NChiefsCorner

NChiefsCorner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:14 PM

When first asked Andy Reid didn't back Alex Smith as his starting QB going forward, the media forced him to say that he was his starting QB going forward to get them off his back.

#34 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,658 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:21 PM

Merc News blasted the Chiefs draft... and poured honey on the 9ers New Front office for fleecing the Bears.

ESPN Polling ( as of now) has 70% of fans giving the Chiefs either a  "C" or "B" score.

Sports Illustrated gave the Chiefs Draft a B.

The Sporting News gave the Chiefs a C-

The central theory was that Mahomes cost the Chiefs 2 first round picks and the Chiefs had bigger needs going into this season.

I kinda like the Mahomes pick but I am not sure he will be worth 2 first rounders?  No idea.

I am really anxious to see how he looks in the preseason and if Reid tries to get rid of all those "back foot throws"?

w

#35 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:29 PM

Merc News blasted the Chiefs draft... and poured honey on the 9ers New Front office for fleecing the Bears.

ESPN Polling ( as of now) has 70% of fans giving the Chiefs either a "C" or "B" score.

Their central theory was that Mahomes cost the Chiefs 2 first round picks and the Chiefs had bigger needs going into this season.

I kinda like the Mahomes pick but I am not sure he will be worth 2 first rounders? No idea.

I am really anxious to see how he looks in the preseason and if Reid tries to get rid of all those "back foot throws"?

w

I went into the offseason thinking we need to target a qb. I thought Watson should be the target. Then a funny thing happened. The more I watched and read, the more convinced I became that Watson was fools gold and the real gem in this class was mahomes.

#36 Calichief

Calichief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:30 PM

Giving grades before guys hit the field is just silly.

I've made that mistake.
  • Gil likes this

#37 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,658 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:32 PM

Fools Gold won a National Championship....and carried that team on his back most of the season.

I hope all you guys are right about Mahomes......The more I watch the tape on him the more I see receivers fighting for 50:50 balls....

That said, Elway had plenty of the same issues when in college.

w

#38 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,658 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:34 PM

The Real "Giving of Grades" happens before the DRAFT...and those grades are far from silly. 

The point is that there is no "consensus" right now.  All we fans have are hopes.

w

#39 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:46 PM

Fools Gold won a National Championship....and carried that team on his back most of the season.

I hope all you guys are right about Mahomes......The more I watch the tape on him the more I see receivers fighting for 50:50 balls....

w

Danny W won a title in Florida and so did Tim Tebow. McElroy won in Bama and is now a studio analyst.

Way too much stock is placed on winning in college. I'm not drafting a college football team, so why do I care?

Since you mentioned Elway, I don't think he ever played in a Bowl Game. I look at the film to see how a player projects as an NFL player and being a winner is far down the list. Aaron Rodgers couldn't beat an avg TT squad in his final bowl game.

The issue with Deshaun Watson is he projected too much like Alex Smith for my liking. Why go through all that effort to make a change at QB to do more of the same, when QB limitation was an issue?

Watson can't read the whole field like Smith, Smiths durability concerns, Smiths below average arm and his penchant to take off for no reason. Why would they part with 2 firsts for more of that?

Hell Tom Brady couldn't win the starting job at Michigan.
  • bavarianq likes this

#40 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,470 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:49 PM

w

Dorsey said that they had Mahomes graded well above any of the other QBs. That's enough for me.

Hey, guess what the last QB that KC drafted in the first round did:

Won a National Championship.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users