Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Good Day..,

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MAUI

MAUI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:41 AM

Was on my way home and my good brother called me and asked if I could give him a hand.., Said he shot a big ass deer and he needed help.., Being the human that I am I said I'd be right there.., Over 250, 30" antlers, just coming out of velvet.., It was grazing in his lower field.., .270 Wetherby mag, solid copper bullet.., Shot was about 200yds.., Broke its heart in a thousand pieces..,  When I got there he'd already gutted it so we threw it in the loader, drove it up to the house, drank beer and butchered meat.., Easiest hunting I ever did.., The freezer is full and life is good..,  Had a picture of me with the deer but that wouldn't be right.., This is the real killer..,

Axis deer are such beautiful animals..,

Bobby_s_deer.jpg

• Semo likes this

#2 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:25 PM

Wow..thats a big Buck I can see why he needed help.. He shot it with a Full Metal Jacket? Does an Axis taste any different than a Whitetail?

#3 MAUI

MAUI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:33 PM

The solid copper is actually soft point, no steel jacket.., Not sure the name but begins with a 'B' I think.., Very slight hollow point so it mushrooms really nice but stays intact and maintains energy.., He swears by them.., His Wetherbt Mag puts it out there pretty fast too.., He put $3000 in the Bank of Denver in 1980 for 5 years and they gave him the Wetherby with a 3x9 Wetherby scope and all he had to do was leave his money there for 5 years.., He's killed a lot of critters with that free weapon.., Been my hunting partner for 30 years..,

Axis is the best game meat I've ever tasted.., Maybe if I ever killed an Elk I would have something reasonable to compare it to..,

#4 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:33 PM

BTHP's..Boat-tail Hollow points..Yep great Round design for about anything . I remember those deals..put $$ in a bank and let sit and then get a free weapon. They had the same deal on an M-1 Garand if I remember correctly. I never had enough $$ at the time to do something like that. Glad it worked out for him..bet those rounds aren't cheap and I bet it kicks like a sumbitch.

Next time your in Colorado just go buy some damned Elk steaks . Probably wont taste as good as if you killed it yourself..while your at it bring some here and we'll pretend we're in the Mtns :lol:

#5 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:38 PM

That's awesome Maui... beautiful deer... are axis bucks in perpetual fawn colors?

#6 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:39 PM

Heh looks like ol' rover is enjoying some proceeds too

#7 MAUI

MAUI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:57 PM

He has about 5 dogs.., They were in heaven.., My 2 gained about 5 lbs today when I was prepping and bagging the meat.., My new best friends.., They wouldn't even look at the wife..,

Yep.., They have dots all their life.., The beauty is the big bucks get a nice black stripe down their back.., Beautiful.., You can kinda see it in that pic..,

Shit OT.., I've had elk and buffalo and even moose in Colorado restaurants..,  it ain't the same.., When its yours from the kill to the table, nothin tastes better.., I may not have dropped it, but I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of it :lol: .., It's just nice to have a bunch of venison in the freezer again..,

It's starting to get dry again.., I think the deer are gonna start moving down.., Like brother Bobby said yesterday.., 'You come on my land, your ass is mine".., :lol:

• mex likes this

#8 MAUI

MAUI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:01 PM

BTHP's..Boat-tail Hollow points..Yep great Round design for about anything . I remember those deals..put $$ in a bank and let sit and then get a free weapon. They had the same deal on an M-1 Garand if I remember correctly. I never had enough $$ at the time to do something like that. Glad it worked out for him..bet those rounds aren't cheap and I bet it kicks like a sumbitch.

Next time your in Colorado just go buy some damned Elk steaks . Probably wont taste as good as if you killed it yourself..while your at it bring some here and we'll pretend we're in the Mtns :lol:

I can probably do that..,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users