Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo
- - - - -

Was Mahomes worth trading up for?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,737 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:12 PM

Well, unlike Boller, who could throw a ball 60 yds from his knees, thru a goal post, Mahomes improved his completion percentage every year - 57, 64, 68...Td to Int rate was very good.

Hope he transitions well....KC is due....

Boller had a gun. I thought he would be a better pro coming out of college.

#22 dhitter

dhitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:27 PM

Me too.

#23 Handswarmer

Handswarmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:37 PM

Thats all he had....47-48% completion rate in Tedford's system at Cal....which produced Rogers at 64%

#24 KCSLC2008

KCSLC2008

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,056 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:24 AM

AFC Notes: Chiefs, Ravens, Fins, Titans
May 8th, 2017 at 7:03pm CST by Connor Byrne
As the Chiefs were preparing to trade up 17 spots in the first round of this year’s draft to select Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes 10th overall, they reached out to starting signal-caller Alex Smith to make sure he’d be OK with it, general manager John Dorsey told the NFL Network on Monday (via Conor Orr of NFL.com). “You know, Alex is the consummate professional,” said Dorsey. “He’s been through these types of situations before and we made sure we communicated with Alex leading up to the draft that we may make a move like this. And when we were on the clock and traded up with Buffalo, we made sure we again got in contact with Alex and he’s all on board with this.” Even after the addition of Mahomes, Smith knows the Chiefs are “his team,” per Dorsey, who praised the 33-year-old for owning “the fourth-winningest record” among QBs since his KC tenure began in 2013. The Chiefs have indeed posted an excellent regular-season mark (41-20) with Smith at the controls, but they’ve managed only one playoff win in three trips. Now, thanks in no small part to the Chiefs’ investment in Mahomes, Smith appears unlikely to last as their starter for much longer. The 12-year veteran’s contract will expire after the 2018 season

Normally, I would call bull shit, what else are they going to say, but I believe this one. Now, do I think the Chiefs would have avoided Mahomes if Smith wasn't on board? Nah, but I do think Smith is confident, professional, and can help us.

#25 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:31 AM

Very true...taking all the different factors into consideration, do you believe the Chiefs to be a Qb away from continued success and the playoffs

They were already there with a below average QB, but they have to change the identity of the team to maintain that high level.

The world class D is dipping a little bit and Even Steven Smith is never going to advance to make the team more balanced.

The way this team ran feom 2013 to now isn't what Dorsey and Reid are used to. They both were in programs that had wide open big play potential Offenses with a Defense that could play with a sizable lead and just pin their ears back and rush the passer, with little regard to run stuffing.

The Mahomes move is a signal of them wanting to steer back to that, IMO. They want that natural identity back.
  • Smoulder likes this

#26 dhitter

dhitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

I get a kick out of those that keep referring to "the steep price" the Chiefs paid to move up to get Mahomes. Moving up from near the bottom of the first round (and a lot of "experts" refer to the bottom of the 1st and top of the 2nd as "not much different" in talent pool) to the Top Ten is a significant leap. I can understand them questioning based on the fact many didn't think Mahomes was worth a Top Ten pick...but what we paid to move up to that spot...I don't think was that outrageous as some have stated in the media.

• Gil and Smoulder like this

#27 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:49 PM

the only way it becomes a steep price is if the Chiefs fall on their face and end up with atop 15 pick next year.. that'll really hurt & I'm not so awfully sure it wont happen that way

#28 Gil

Gil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:52 PM

I get a kick out of those that keep referring to "the steep price" the Chiefs paid to move up to get Mahomes. Moving up from near the bottom of the first round (and a lot of "experts" refer to the bottom of the 1st and top of the 2nd as "not much different" in talent pool) to the Top Ten is a significant leap. I can understand them questioning based on the fact many didn't think Mahomes was worth a Top Ten pick...but what we paid to move up to that spot...I don't think was that outrageous as some have stated in the media.

Agreed. Giving up draft picks to move up isn't nearly as steep a price as having a shitty losing season and already being in the top 10.

#29 BroncoStud

BroncoStud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:33 PM

I keep saying it, I love Mahomes.  He is a gamer and a throwback to the gunslingers of the 80s and 90's, dude has poise and is fun to watch.  If nothing else he will entertain the KC fans who go to games and watch on TV.

• Smoulder likes this

#30 dhitter

dhitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:04 PM

the only way it becomes a steep price is if the Chiefs fall on their face and end up with atop 15 pick next year.. that'll really hurt & I'm not so awfully sure it wont happen that way

OT...when are you changing your board name to "The New Wilkie"...lol.

• oldtimer likes this

#31 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:10 PM

Even if we fall flat on our face and end up with the number 1 pick, I like Mahomes over the qbs next year anyway so I'm still good. His potential is through the roof.

There was one throw in the Oklahoma game that Gruden called the best throw he's ever seen, college or pros. I agree.

#32 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:14 PM

OT...when are you changing your board name to "The New Wilkie"...lol.

Wilkie tries to be me LOL..

#33 Calichief

Calichief

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:51 PM

Absolutely worth it. Tell me, who in this draft would be taking us to the Super Bowl?

#34 Handswarmer

Handswarmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:45 PM

Even if we fall flat on our face and end up with the number 1 pick, I like Mahomes over the qbs next year anyway so I'm still good. His potential is through the roof.

There was one throw in the Oklahoma game that Gruden called the best throw he's ever seen, college or pros. I agree.

SHAMELESS BALLWASHING

• omahacolt likes this

#35 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:50 PM

SHAMELESS BALLWASHING

Without a doubt I like his tape over next years crop. We shall see who's right in a few years. There will be ups and downs with mahomes like any qb but the kids got a good shot. And there are no qbs in the NFL right now with the exception of Rodgers who can make that throw. And yes that includes your buttplug, Flacco.

#36 Smoulder

Smoulder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • LocationKCMO

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:21 PM

I knew going into the draft that we had plenty of capital to move up, and didn't doubt they'd pull the trigger considering 10 draft picks was too many to keep on. Mahomes was the only one I wanted, and it was a thrill to see my team not only make the big move, but to do it for my guy.

Was it worth it? Hell yes. Coupla glorified 2nd round picks and some change to leapfrog 4-5 other teams to snag an epic gunslinger? Might be an epic flop for all I know, but way to make a move! If it pans out, this could well be the greatest move in KC sports since the Royals moved up to snag George Brett. 👍
  • oldtimer and West like this

#37 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:41 PM

I knew going into the draft that we had plenty of capital to move up, and didn't doubt they'd pull the trigger considering 10 draft picks was too many to keep on. Mahomes was the only one I wanted, and it was a thrill to see my team not only make the big move, but to do it for my guy.

Was it worth it? Hell yes. Coupla glorified 2nd round picks and some change to leapfrog 4-5 other teams to snag an epic gunslinger? Might be an epic flop for all I know, but way to make a move! If it pans out, this could well be the greatest move in KC sports since the Royals moved up to snag George Brett.

although  GB was selected in the 2nd round I agree. I was thinking Tony G  but yea

#38 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,131 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:08 PM

Agree as well.  Mahomes is the perfect pick for the "Gotta Be Aggressive" and get a Franchise QB Now community.

KC was not going to get one via trade and they are not going to go 2- 14 any time soon.  This was the year and Mahomes is the right guy to try on.

That said, none of us know what Mahomes will be other than he is a competitor, smart and dedicated to football.  That automatically moves him out of the Ryan Leaf crowd.

He could be anywhere in the range of Philip Rivers .....Gunslinger, but no Super Bowl ....to John Elway....Gunslinger with  multiple SB's.

Time will tell and Mahomes is lucky he has Andy Reid.

w

• KCSLC2008 likes this

#39 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:05 AM

Agree as well.  Mahomes is the perfect pick for the "Gotta Be Aggressive" and get a Franchise QB Now community.

KC was not going to get one via trade and they are not going to go 2- 14 any time soon.  This was the year and Mahomes is the right guy to try on.

That said, none of us know what Mahomes will be other than he is a competitor, smart and dedicated to football.  That automatically moves him out of the Ryan Leaf crowd.

He could be anywhere in the range of Philip Rivers .....Gunslinger, but no Super Bowl ....to John Elway....Gunslinger with  multiple SB's.

Time will tell and Mahomes is lucky he has Andy Reid.

w

i agree

the best thing mahomes has is andy reid.  

#40 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,131 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:37 AM

I wish Mahomes was Andrew Luck.....but you have to be lucky to really stink up the joint in the right year.

The Colts have the right guy to build around, if he does not get killed in the process.

w

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users