Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo
- - - - -

Are The Chiefs Still Ascending Or Is This Pretty Much It?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:33 PM

Where it's different for me is unlike Marty and Dick, the current regime is not putting player loyalty ahead of trying to be great and win championships.

That's quite an assumption.

#22 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for the backhanded compliment OT but I think that is a great question.   We all have to wonder in the back of our minds if this ascension by the Chiefs is going to continue to rise or if we have arrived at our level of competence.

Heres my take:    Stram was coach in an era when there was not much significant competition for the AFL championship.  Yes there were the Raiders and the Jets but really nobody else on a par with them.   Denver was a joke.   San Diego was a sometimes thing.   The AFC East  ( used to be just the East and the West) had little competition.   He got a lot of mileage out of that class of 1963 but when we merged with the NFL and the competition became more intense,  he was not nearly as effective.  I think he had the benefit of the times in which he coached.

Schottenheimer was the real deal.   What a great defense he put out there.   Yet a significant number of his starters had been drafted by Jack Steadman and Frank Gansz a year before he and CP took over.  I thought he was a very good coach and his record proves it.   But after Montana,  he couldn't find the right guys for the offense.  His most productive offensive years after 1995 were when Barry Word and Greg Hill were his RBs.   Just not enough.  Never got as close to going to the superbowl as that year Montana got a concussion in Buffalo.

Vermiel years were fun years.   Great offensive line in the NFL and perhaps one  of the best backs in Priest Holmes.   But,  and this was brought home to us in that New Years Day playoff,  we couldn't stop anybody.  

So here we are today.   I think this team is much more balanced than the Schottenheimer and Vermiel years.   We have more than the minimum amount of offense.  And our defense is pretty stout.   We have weaknesses of course,  particularly against the run,  but it seems like the team is maturing together.

OT is right.  The future rests with Mahomes.    Seeing him play,  his delivery down the field looks like Elway.   I am not at all saying that he anyway compares to Horseface,  but he has the gun.   Most probably the fortunes of Reid and Dorsey rest on his ability to be an NFL quarterback.

In the mean time it sure is fun to know that any given Sunday we have a chance,  and in some cases much more than a chance,  of progressing to the playoffs.  I am enjoying the ride.  But being a 50 plus year Chiefs fan still fills me with nagging doubts.   We've been on the cusp before.   Meanwhile,  lets all say a big prayer that Derrick Johnson still has gas in the tank.  He's the guy we need right now.

If Mahomes pans out, the team can build around that.  A great QB can carry an otherwise mediocre team and give them a chance to win a SB.  Plus, the Chiefs are comparatively very young.  Reid will not leave until his development of Mahomes is complete.  He wants to prove that his years developing and succeeding with McNabb were not a fluke. I don't think he is leaving anytime soon, unless he gets a heart attack from his obesity.

#23 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,059 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:16 PM

DJ is truly amazing...

w

#24 DieHard

DieHard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:49 PM

That's quite an assumption.

I think he means contract wise. They didn't sink big money into Poe or Charles or Hali or Smith. Players that played very well for us, but who's best days are behind them.

#25 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:00 PM

I think he means contract wise. They didn't sink big money into Poe or Charles or Hali or Smith. Players that played very well for us, but who's best days are behind them.

True.  And they draft a year ahead of a player's free agency.  To be successful, that is the only way to do it. I see what you mean.

#26 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,059 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:58 PM

Great QB's with a Bad O-Line generally just get their asses kicked.

Call Andrew Luck if you have any questions.

w

#27 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

Great QB's with a Bad O-Line generally just get their asses kicked.

Call Andrew Luck if you have any questions.

w

If you're set at QB, though, you can use the draft to keep the O-line really strong rather than devoting picks to finding a QB.  If Mahomes pans out, the D will become weaker because it will be needed less, since the winning formula will depend more on offense.  But I don't think a QB oriented coach like Reid will ever allow the O-line to be bad, whatever it takes.  Too much invested in Mahomes to allow that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users