Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Be sure to watch SNL this Saturday night

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:56 PM

And here I thought everyone but me was crazy.

I would like to think that I have swayed a few here towards the libertarian philosophy over the years. Mex even "wasted his vote" last time. :lol:

seems you've had a hell of a lot of influence helping me break the duopoly chains

along with xen and studly

of course I get a good dose of fiscal conservativism from jet and west... and common sense from maui and OT

it takes a village

#22 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:57 PM

I definitely went from independent to unregistered libertarian because of what I learned in the LR.

Well technically I'm a Rational Anarchist. But libertarian is close enough.

#23 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:02 AM

seems you've had a hell of a lot of influence helping me break the duopoly chains

along with xen and studly

of course I get a good dose of fiscal conservativism from jet and west... and common sense from maui and OT

it takes a village

That it does. Lots of knowledge floating around this forum.

#24 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:04 AM

Lots of knowledge floating around this forum.

Yep. That and 10 bucks'll buy you a cup of starbucks mocha latte.

#25 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:05 AM

That it does. Lots of knowledge floating around this forum.

you are all welcome
  • mex likes this

#26 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:08 AM

Thanks OC. Without you i wouldn't know that Obama is love!

Hare
Hare Obama
Obama Hare
Hare Obama
Bama Bama
Hare Hare

#27 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:10 AM

I definitely went from independent to unregistered libertarian because of what I learned in the LR.

Well technically I'm a Rational Anarchist. But libertarian is close enough.

anarchy is underrated

#28 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:11 AM

anarchy is underrated

Agreed. But I'm not an anarchist. I'm a Rational Anarchist. Big difference.

#29 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,290 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:17 AM

My opinions have changed mucho from my LR experience....I think I told you guys that I come from a LOOOONG line of Democrats....

I was the ONLY guy in my Government Class at West Point to vote for friggin Jimmy Carter....I still catch shit for that.

Mex, Seems, BS , Maui and E have had a huge impact on me as I have moved from center right to Center Libertarian.

Our government changed significantly over the past 25 years....I was a good dem, then a good puke and now I am totally against both parties.

w

#30 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:28 AM

Agreed. But I'm not an anarchist. I'm a Rational Anarchist. Big difference.

The true definition of anarchy has been obscured over the years. People think anarchists are irrational, which is bullshit. The concept of anarchy, at least to me, is the end of the political spectrum, opposite totalitarianism. anarchists do not believe in centralized authority, rather, they believe in consensual authority, where the individual can choose whom they prefer to yield authority or power,  or can choose to opt out of said authority, by choice. 

Mark Skousen (my sig quote) understood well. A society that needs to enforce order and compassion by force, has by definition failed.

I get what you mean by 'rational', my point is that adjective shouldn't be necessary, because it implies that anarchists are not rational.  Kind of like when dumbya called it 'compassionate' conservatism... 'cause we all know there's no such thing as a compassionate conservative.   :lol:

#31 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:45 AM

The true definition of anarchy has been obscured over the years. People think anarchists are irrational, which is bullshit. The concept of anarchy, at least to me, is the end of the political spectrum, opposite totalitarianism. anarchists do not believe in centralized authority, rather, they believe in consensual authority, where the individual can choose whom they prefer to yield authority or power, or can choose to opt out of said authority, by choice.

Mark Skousen (my sig quote) understood well. A society that needs to enforce order and compassion by force, has by definition failed.

I get what you mean by 'rational', my point is that adjective shouldn't be necessary, because it implies that anarchists are not rational. Kind of like when dumbya called it 'compassionate' conservatism... 'cause we all know there's no such thing as a compassionate conservative. :lol:

Not the same. I do not choose which authority to yield to because i do not yield to any authority but mine. I can explain Rational Anarchy in a few quotes.

"A rational anarchist believes that concepts such as "state" and "society" and "government" have no existence save as physically exemplified in the acts of self-responsible individuals. He believes that it is impossible to shift blame, share blame, distribute blame. . . as blame, guilt, responsibility are matters taking place inside human beings singly and nowhere else. But being rational, he knows that not all individuals hold his evaluations, so he tries to live perfectly in an imperfect world. . . aware that his effort will be less than perfect yet undismayed by self-knowledge of self-failure."

"I will accept any rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

As a juxtaposition, this is our current system, and pretty much any other system tried: "Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead — but first get permit."

I try to apply this philosophy to every issue. I take no stance on any issue unless I examine the proposed solution, which I keep separate from the problem. I try not to have an opinion unless I think about the issue first and compare it to the solution. I find that most solutions are worse than the problem. Many problems can be fixed by not worrying about them and minding your own damn business.

PM me your address. I want to send you a present.

lol compassionate conservatives. Good one.

#32 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:40 AM

Not the same. I do not choose which authority to yield to because i do not yield to any authority but mine. I can explain Rational Anarchy in a few quotes.

"A rational anarchist believes that concepts such as "state" and "society" and "government" have no existence save as physically exemplified in the acts of self-responsible individuals. He believes that it is impossible to shift blame, share blame, distribute blame. . . as blame, guilt, responsibility are matters taking place inside human beings singly and nowhere else. But being rational, he knows that not all individuals hold his evaluations, so he tries to live perfectly in an imperfect world. . . aware that his effort will be less than perfect yet undismayed by self-knowledge of self-failure."

"I will accept any rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

As a juxtaposition, this is our current system, and pretty much any other system tried: "Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead — but first get permit."

I try to apply this philosophy to every issue. I take no stance on any issue unless I examine the proposed solution, which I keep separate from the problem. I try not to have an opinion unless I think about the issue first and compare it to the solution. I find that most solutions are worse than the problem. Many problems can be fixed by not worrying about them and minding your own damn business.

PM me your address. I want to send you a present.

lol compassionate conservatives. Good one.

every bit of that is spot on

more people should try to understand the precise meaning of those quotes 

#33 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

Why don't you guys get a room. LOL

#34 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

We did. It's at your house.

#35 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:12 AM

so's your face

#36 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:04 AM

Shit.  I'm back in college.   The award for the best put down.

Why don't we adjust all admit it?   We come in here for the CHEAP LAUGHS.  

I can get my share of abuse going on any chat board or by using my left hand.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users