Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo
- - - - -

Cutting Maclin

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:34 AM

Cut Houston, Jones and Peters. Then we have some cap space to work with.

lol. Then the hard work begins of finding a good young corner and dlineman. We'll need to find a great pass rusher too. Preferably one hitting his prime. It's not like teams let those type of players hit the street ya know.

If only we knew where to look.

#22 PhataLerror

PhataLerror

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:24 AM

Cut Houston, Jones and Peters. Then we have some cap space to work with.

That's hardly what I suggested.

Are you sure Houston is ever going to be the Houston we knew from 2013?

#23 DieHard

DieHard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

I was pleased with what I saw from him last year when he returned. I think he was over used when he returned and suffered a set back, but I think he looked really good in the playoffs. Granted they didn't use him as a pass rusher much probably to avoid the pressure on his knee, but he was moving very well. Chasing Brown down 30 yards down field is something a LB doesn't do with a gimpy knee.

As bad as we needed him sacking Ben, it was probably the right move for his career. I am very confident that he will be could to go this year. DJ I am worried about, but not Houston.

#24 KC Warpaint

KC Warpaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:18 PM

lol. Then the hard work begins of finding a good young corner and dlineman. We'll need to find a great pass rusher too. Preferably one hitting his prime. It's not like teams let those type of players hit the street ya know.

If only we knew where to look.

you mean they don't grow on trees???

#25 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,059 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:20 PM

All the silliness aside, I sure hope Justin Houston comes back strong this season.

w

#26 DieHard

DieHard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:23 AM

I would be stunned if he didn't. If we can get him and DJ playing the way they play, look out. And with Alex in a make it or break it year. It comes down Oline. That is my big concern. I don't want to have depend on screens and the RB having to beat 2 guys before the LOS. The plus is every Olineman that took a snap is back. I think we can improve there which was a bigger problem than Smith.
  • KCSLC2008 likes this

#27 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:27 PM

Maclin had a groin injury.  Groin pain is a bitch and lasts for months.  To judge Maclin from last year is a form of insanity.

As for corners, it wouid be wise to not conclude that Gaines is "injury prone" or "fragile."  Maybe so, but I have a hard time accepting that.  Shit happens to people, and the law of averages does not run in smooth fashion.  Injuries happen in streaks, just like wins and losses in life.  Gains was an excellent corner once, and he easily can be again. The only kind of injury that slows people down more permanently is brain inury (concussion). Possibly those double Achilles ruptures can leave a player tentative.  But that is about it.  It's usually age that creeps up that causes decline.  Only kids can play a sport like NFL football, and Gaines is still a kid.

#28 Calichief

Calichief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:28 PM

Maclin had a groin injury. Groin pain is a bitch and lasts for months. To judge Maclin from last year is a form of insanity.

As for corners, it wouid be wise to not conclude that Gaines is "injury prone" or "fragile." Maybe so, but I have a hard time accepting that. Shit happens to people, and the law of averages does not run in smooth fashion. Injuries happen in streaks, just like wins and losses in life. Gains was an excellent corner once, and he easily can be again. The only kind of injury that slows people down more permanently is brain inury (concussion). Possibly those double Achilles ruptures can leave a player tentative. But that is about it. It's usually age that creeps up that causes decline. Only kids can play a sport like NFL football, and Gaines is still a kid.

My problem last year was all the drops. Groin pain doesn't extend to his hands. I've has enough with WR who drop balls in KC. Hope he has a great bounce back year.

#29 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:35 PM

My problem last year was all the drops. Groin pain doesn't extend to his hands. I've has enough with WR who drop balls in KC. Hope he has a great bounce back year.

Remember, pain destroys concentration and catching passes rewuires incredible concentration.

#30 Calichief

Calichief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:10 PM

Remember, pain destroys concentration and catching passes rewuires incredible concentration.

Fair enough. I hope for a big year from him.

#31 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:42 PM

Fair enough. I hope for a big year from him.

Me, too.  With the development of Hill, Conley, and probably an improved running game, he will get fewer chances, because we will hold the ball longer.  So, his stats may not look like they might have a couple of years ago, when Smith had limited targets and less posession time.

#32 KCSLC2008

KCSLC2008

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:26 PM

Me, too. With the development of Hill, Conley, and probably an improved running game, he will get fewer chances, because we will hold the ball longer. So, his stats may not look like they might have a couple of years ago, when Smith had limited targets and less posession time.

Holding the ball longer, if not sacked, could mean more intermediate passes to Maclin a bit deeper, relatively speaking. Just talking Maclin's targets, not overall by much.

#33 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:25 AM

Holding the ball longer, if not sacked, could mean more intermediate passes to Maclin a bit deeper, relatively speaking. Just talking Maclin's targets, not overall by much.

Yes.  I realized that I stated that poorly.  By holding it longer, I meant with the running game.   That would mean fewer passes in general, if there are more runs.  But longer drives would do exactly what you said and maybe would not change the total number of passes one way or another.  I guess it would depend on opposing defensive capabilities in any given game.

With a strong running game, defenses would have to pick their poison.  That is the kind of thing that a QB like Alex Smith could really thrive in.

#34 DieHard

DieHard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:07 AM

I agree. We have two really good RBs now. If the line progresses like I think they will, we will be a handful as a pound it and play action team. It is not Andy's strength but he has shown some tendency to do that at times. Trouble is when he doesn't feel confident in the line we get to screen happy.

It would be nice if Mahomes took over a top rushing team in 2018. Then look out. What I like about him in the highlights is his scramble to throw rather than scramble to run.

#35 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:21 AM

I agree. We have two really good RBs now. If the line progresses like I think they will, we will be a handful as a pound it and play action team. It is not Andy's strength but he has shown some tendency to do that at times. Trouble is when he doesn't feel confident in the line we get to screen happy.

It would be nice if Mahomes took over a top rushing team in 2018. Then look out. What I like about him in the highlights is his scramble to throw rather than scramble to run.

I like what McNabb said about Mahomes' arm in a recent article.  "He can throw the ball through a carwash, and it it won't get wet." He can throw with finesse or a 60 mph bullet, depending on what is needed, across his chest and on the run. Like Farve.  He needs at least a year to learn the pro game.

#36 DieHard

DieHard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:32 AM

Yes, it would be sweet if he had 2 years, but we need him pretty bad unless Smith really stands in the pocket and fires it this year. I think it would take a SB victory to make him the starter in 2018. We will see. But stand in there or you are gone may make him throw caution to the wind. Hard to change at his age. The tragic part for him is that he can deliver down field. He has just learned to bail because of protection and ended up perceiving pressure when it wasn't there at times last year.

I think he is broken.

#37 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,059 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:54 PM

2017 Hopes:

1. Oline Continuity will really help

2. Oline Maturity and Gained Experience will really help

3. Conley and Wilson will improve

4. Hill requires Deep Help from the Safeties

5. Kelce requires deep help from the safeties.

6. Hunt can catch the ball out of the backfield.

7. Smith needs to step up his game....

I am optimistic.

w

• azchief21 likes this

#38 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

Despite having followed the Chiefs avidly for the last 45 years, I am always optimistic.  I guess that's why we are called "fans," a short form of the word, "fanatics."  There is no reason involved in it, is there?  I think we are a very strong team right now, and the O-line development, I agree, is a major part of that optimism.  I have heard that Hunt CAN catch the ball out of the backfield.  Not brillient, but good. This biggest unknown for me is point 4 and 5, about deep help from Safeties.  Since Hill was a Rookie, I think he will continue to improve his route running.  Kelce has pretty much shown what he has there.  But the opposing safeties are going to have to move back on obvious passing plays. They will have to move up on obvious running downs.  It will be up to Smith to fool them about that often enough to make them tentative. Actually, Reid will make a lot of those calls, and I hope he is a little more deceptive and throws deep on 3rd and 2 and runs hard on 3rd and 5.  At least twice per game.

• West likes this

#39 DefensiveMan

DefensiveMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:05 AM

Despite having followed the Chiefs avidly for the last 45 years, I am always optimistic. I guess that's why we are called "fans," a short form of the word, "fanatics." There is no reason involved in it, is there? I think we are a very strong team right now, and the O-line development, I agree, is a major part of that optimism. I have heard that Hunt CAN catch the ball out of the backfield. Not brillient, but good. This biggest unknown for me is point 4 and 5, about deep help from Safeties. Since Hill was a Rookie, I think he will continue to improve his route running. Kelce has pretty much shown what he has there. But the opposing safeties are going to have to move back on obvious passing plays. They will have to move up on obvious running downs. It will be up to Smith to fool them about that often enough to make them tentative. Actually, Reid will make a lot of those calls, and I hope he is a little more deceptive and throws deep on 3rd and 2 and runs hard on 3rd and 5. At least twice per game.

Bilyous, is that you??
  • oldtimer likes this

#40 DefensiveMan

DefensiveMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:05 AM

2017 Hopes:

1. Oline Continuity will really help

2. Oline Maturity and Gained Experience will really help

3. Conley and Wilson will improve

4. Hill requires Deep Help from the Safeties

5. Kelce requires deep help from the safeties.

6. Hunt can catch the ball out of the backfield.

7. Smith needs to step up his game....

I am optimistic.

w

I think putting a little pressure on Smith will amp his game. Should be an exciting season ahead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users