Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo
- - - - -

Chiefs release Maclin

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#21 AlwaysChiefs

AlwaysChiefs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationSouthern Missouri

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:28 AM

What a bunch of Nervous Nellies. Relax. The Chiefs did fine last year without much of a contribution from Maclin. 

So far, Reid and Dorsey have done a fine job of consistently, though slowly, improving this roster. They have earned the right to a bit of trust. I liked Maclin fine, and he had a great year two years ago. However, this new approach by Dorsey/Reid reminds me of the successful Patriot Way. No sentiment, no holding on to players who have started to decline. Nothing personal, but this is a business. 

I really, really hope DJ is able to come back full strength. If not, we could be saying good-bye to a real fan favorite soon. I would hate that, but ya gotta move on. It's not what have you done for me lately, it's what can you do for me right now?

• KCTech and robertfr16 like this

#22 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,774 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:30 AM

I do no like this move....

Smells like they are starting a rebuild.

w

With all respect to the above posters, isn't it just possible that Dorsey/Reid know something about Maclin that we don't?  Could be injury or it could be other issues that indicate he won't help the team.  There's no receiver on the team better than Maclin WHEN HE"S AT HIS BEST.  This isn't a rebuilding move, the Chiefs have enough talent to compete this year and JM might still be effective when Mahomes is expected to play.  I trust Dorsey on this one.

#23 Calichief

Calichief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:31 AM

With all respect to the above posters, isn't it just possible that Dorsey/Reid know something about Maclin that we don't? Could be injury or it could be other issues that indicate he won't help the team. There's no receiver on the team better than Maclin WHEN HE"S AT HIS BEST. This isn't a rebuilding move, the Chiefs have enough talent to compete this year and JM might still be effective when Mahomes is expected to play. I trust Dorsey on this one.

Another voice of reason.

#24 Okiechief1

Okiechief1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:04 AM

What a bunch of Nervous Nellies. Relax. The Chiefs did fine last year without much of a contribution from Maclin.

So far, Reid and Dorsey have done a fine job of consistently, though slowly, improving this roster. They have earned the right to a bit of trust. I liked Maclin fine, and he had a great year two years ago. However, this new approach by Dorsey/Reid reminds me of the successful Patriot Way. No sentiment, no holding on to players who have started to decline. Nothing personal, but this is a business.

I really, really hope DJ is able to come back full strength. If not, we could be saying good-bye to a real fan favorite soon. I would hate that, but ya gotta move on. It's not what have you done for me lately, it's what can you do for me right now?

Yea this was a business move and no emotion. Reid was at Maclins wedding a few weeks back.

I get the move and will trust Dorsey on it but this is a better team with Maclin versus without.

#25 dhitter

dhitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:14 AM

Chiefs will definitely need a step up in production from someone. Frankly, I do not understand how Albert Wilson keeps getting listed as a starting receiver. Forget being 1,000 yard receiver in a given year. He hasn't reached 1,000 yards in the past 3 years combined.

I agree this was a cap move as much as anything. But assuming Maclin would have had a bit of a bounce back (60-70 receptions?)...where does that production come from?

#26 PhataLerror

PhataLerror

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:00 AM

Says to me they're convinced they can't win big with Alex.

http://www.nfl.com/n...r-jeremy-maclin

That's funny.... I figured if they thought they couldn't win with Alex...

...you know...

...they'd cut Alex.

*spin*

#27 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:48 AM

It's more than just the cap. He's nearing a sharp decline IMO and it might have already begun.

#28 Calichief

Calichief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:06 AM

It's more than just the cap. He's nearing a sharp decline IMO and it might have already begun.

Yep. Let me know how impactful he was last year.

#29 KC Warpaint

KC Warpaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:06 AM

hell, for all we know maybe maclin asked to be let go, probably feels he will never be used to his full potential with alex as QB so go finish his career somewhere where he can get the ball.

#30 gochiefsgo

gochiefsgo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • LocationSaint Louis, Missouri

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

They must have their eye on an impact free agent to feel they need to free up that much cap space.
But who?
  • West likes this

#31 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:53 PM

They must have their eye on an impact free agent to feel they need to free up that much cap space.
But who?

I don't think there is anyone left that would cost that much.

#32 fanatic

fanatic

Resident tool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:59 PM

According to the Kansas City Star, free agent Jeremy Maclin "looked spry" in OTA practices and ran with the first-team offense prior to his shocking Friday night release.

Cap expert Joel Corry indicated Maclin's release may have been almost entirely salary-cap related. The Chiefs' only other high-salary, cut-able veteran was Tamba Hali, but his salary is guaranteed. "They had the most cap commitments of anyone in the league for 2018 prior to the (Maclin) move," Corry said. "They’re going to have to do something else next year. They’re not in good shape, cap-wise." The Chiefs' likeliest 2018 move for cap relief is moving on from Alex Smith.

#33 fanatic

fanatic

Resident tool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

From Arrowhead Pride:

And now we’ve got Maclin, a guy they were SO SURE about that they got actual tampering charges trying to make sure they landed him and lost draft picks over the whole thing. Now, two years later? Gone. That’s absolutely crazy. They were desperate to snag this guy, and his first year with the team made it look like a great move. Now? They’re eating dead money and apparently don’t think they need him. Again, the guy they wanted so badly they tampered against league rules.

It’s not QUITE as big a disaster as Bowe’s contract because at least Maclin had one very good year. But it’s still a disaster, and not a small one.

I trust John Dorsey, but on the surface this looks like another large-scale failure to address the wide receiver spot. Now, if Conley and Hill break out and Robinson (or anyone, really) fills in very well as the third guy, fine. But there’s no other way to spin cutting a guy after two years after all they went through to get him other than a huge failure.

• oldtimer, West and kychief like this

#34 gochiefsgo

gochiefsgo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • LocationSaint Louis, Missouri

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:16 PM

Ok I looked at Alex Smiths stats last year and I am shocked. I know I should not be be but I am. I did this to figure out why the Chiefs felt it was ok to let Maclin go.
After looking at every game in the regular season it appears that Smith threw a total of 9 touchdowns to wide receivers last year. 9. He had 15 Tds and 8 picks in the regular season. Maclin had 10 tds in two years as a Chief. Just 10. Wow. It all makes a little more sense now. If Smith isn't throwing that many TD passes to his #1 WR target why pay him 11 million per year?

#35 fanatic

fanatic

Resident tool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:16 PM

Maclin.....a ton of money to sign and a tampering penalty. Believe we lost a third round pick? More dead Money. Dorsey is a good GM but has not become a great GM yet.

Very Unfortunate Signing and Now Cut. Now watch him end up in San Diego, Oak or Denver. OUCH

#36 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

That's funny.... I figured if they thought they couldn't win with Alex...

...you know...

...they'd cut Alex.

*spin*

Nope. They were going to have to jettison mac and his salary next year along with alex. Doing it as a post June 1 cut this year means they have cap relief now and cap flexibility next year when they cut alex.

It makes sense. Alex is not going to win the Superbowl this year with Godzilla at wr, so look to the future.

I trust Dorsey. Don't like this move but Dorsey knows what he's doing.

#37 Chiefsfan1963

Chiefsfan1963

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:48 PM

Why is it that so many in here always assume ex Chiefs will be picked up by SD, Denver or Oakland? Do you stay up at night worrying about that shit? Out of 31 other teams it's always assumed they will go to the AFC West teams.

Maclin has struggled lately and it's not Smith's fault.

I doubt Denver with a questionable QB situation and shitty Oline will drop everything and pay for a declining Maclin.

Oakland just picked up Beast and had a very good passing game before Carr went down so why do they need to bring in a declining Maclin?

SD, they had the best passing game in the AFC West and a top 10 overall passing game so again why would they bring in a declining Maclin?

I like Maclin and loved it when they picked him up but this move won't hurt the team.

#38 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:00 PM

Why is it that so many in here always assume ex Chiefs will be picked up by SD, Denver or Oakland? Do you stay up at night worrying about that shit? Out of 31 other teams it's always assumed they will go to the AFC West teams.

Maclin has struggled lately and it's not Smith's fault.

I doubt Denver with a questionable QB situation and shitty Oline will drop everything and pay for a declining Maclin.

Oakland just picked up Beast and had a very good passing game before Carr went down so why do they need to bring in a declining Maclin?

SD, they had the best passing game in the AFC West and a top 10 overall passing game so again why would they bring in a declining Maclin?

I like Maclin and loved it when they picked him up but this move won't hurt the team.

Guys move around in division (not just ours) so much people just expect it.

I disagree this doesn't hurt us. However we've hit a ceiling with Alex as qb anyway so it doesn't hurt us that bad, especially with Alex limited in how much he can or will utilize his outside receivers.

I just kind of figured they'd try to hang on to Mac to help Mahomies next year. Plus I'm a Mizzou honk so I really liked JMac and probably overestimate him as a player.
Guess it wasn't meant to be.

#39 KCSLC2008

KCSLC2008

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:03 PM

Nope. They were going to have to jettison mac and his salary next year along with alex. Doing it as a post June 1 cut this year means they have cap relief now and cap flexibility next year when they cut alex.

It makes sense. Alex is not going to win the Superbowl this year with Godzilla at wr, so look to the future.

I trust Dorsey. Don't like this move but Dorsey knows what he's doing.

I'm willing to bet that we would win the Super Bowl if we literally had Godzilla on our team. I mean, who would tackle him? But we probably just pitch him the ball instead of passing. Maybe a bunch of one yard passes just to make sure that him dropping the ball would not be a fumble. I actually think he is too tall to hand the ball off to. I'd like to get King Kong, too, to keep him off other teams. Mothra as well.

#40 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:07 PM

I'm willing to bet that we would win the Super Bowl if we literally had Godzilla on our team. I mean, who would tackle him? But we probably just hand him the ball instead of passing. I'd like to get King Kong, too, to keep him off other teams. Mothra as well.

Svengoolie much?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users