Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo
- - - - -

Chiefs release Maclin

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#41 PhataLerror

PhataLerror

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:09 PM

Nope. They were going to have to jettison mac and his salary next year along with alex. Doing it as a post June 1 cut this year means they have cap relief now and cap flexibility next year when they cut alex.

It makes sense. Alex is not going to win the Superbowl this year with Godzilla at wr, so look to the future.

I trust Dorsey. Don't like this move but Dorsey knows what he's doing.

If they couldn't win the Super Bowl with Smith, they'd cut Smith.

And sign Kaepernick on the cheap to take his place. Because he's a "starting quarterback" in the NFL, if what matters to you is words and not action.

#42 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:09 PM

I'm willing to bet that we would win the Super Bowl if we literally had Godzilla on our team. I mean, who would tackle him? But we probably just hand him the ball instead of passing. I'd like to get King Kong, too, to keep him off other teams. Mothra as well.

Mothra would be a he'll of a punt returner. No good as a wr though. Neither is Godzilla. Alex can't throw that high.

#43 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:10 PM

If they couldn't win the Super Bowl with Smith, they'd cut Smith.

And sign Kaepernick on the cheap to take his place. Because he's a "starting quarterback" in the NFL, if what matters to you is words and not action.

They're going to cut Smith. Next year after they no longer need him to be a caretaker.

#44 KCSLC2008

KCSLC2008

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,056 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:12 PM

Mothra would be a he'll of a punt returner. No good as a wr though. Neither is Godzilla. Alex can't throw that high.

Yes, he can, (he is 164 feet tall, about 55 yards, and that's the top of his head, not his arms. 30 yards high isn't too far but not easy with a pass rush, I suppose) and you would get me arguing that in passing that high is a vertical passing game just like they say that throwing to the sidelines is pretty long as well. Stretches the defense horizontally and opens up run after the pass lanes.

#45 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:14 PM

Yes, he can, and you would get me arguing that in passing that high is a vertical passing game just like they say that throwing to the sidelines is pretty long as well. Stretches the defense horizontally and opens up run after the pass lanes.

lol stretching the defense vertically.

#46 KCSLC2008

KCSLC2008

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,056 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:16 PM

lol stretching the defense vertically.

It's not my words. I'm joking, even though I obviously know that they do try that.

#47 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:58 PM

It's not my words. I'm joking, even though I obviously know that they do try that.

I just like the idea of dbs trying to jump high enough to block out Godzilla. They'll have to get jetpacks.

#48 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:28 PM

They must have their eye on an impact free agent to feel they need to free up that much cap space.
But who?

They were scheduled to be possibly over the salary cap next season with 34 pending FA's.

There will be no big splash pick up. Jusy big splash cuts.

#49 Calichief

Calichief

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:16 PM

Nope. They were going to have to jettison mac and his salary next year along with alex. Doing it as a post June 1 cut this year means they have cap relief now and cap flexibility next year when they cut alex.

It makes sense. Alex is not going to win the Superbowl this year with Godzilla at wr, so look to the future.

I trust Dorsey. Don't like this move but Dorsey knows what he's doing.

Yep 10 touchdowns in two years. Not really his fault. He was wasting away with 11 anyway.

#50 Chiefsfan1963

Chiefsfan1963

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:29 PM

Yep 10 touchdowns in two years. Not really his fault. He was wasting away with 11 anyway.

Yep and in 2011 and 2012 he had 12 TDs with one more game under his belt. He has never been a major TD threat, I believe the most he had in a season was 10.

DBowe had 8 TDs in back to back season with Cassel and Smith and in the same number of games so what your saying is Maclin is just a step over Bowe which isn't saying much.

#51 DieHard

DieHard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:56 PM

Hate the move because his return healthy gives us an NFL quality starting WR. They may feel he is not healthy or it coceding a long shot run this year and play for the future.

I do believe in this leadership, but every year is 'the year" to me. They will likely prove this to be a good decision.

#52 PhataLerror

PhataLerror

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:08 AM

They're going to cut Smith. Next year after they no longer need him to be a caretaker.

Maybe that will be so. The truly fascinating thing however was that following the Chiefs' selection of Mahomes, if anyone had thought to do a poll here with the question:

Smith or Maclin: Who Will the Chiefs Cut First?

Most here would have suggested Smith. They would have been wrong.

I'm as shocked as anyone about the Maclin release; I thought he was good stuff. That being said, the Chiefs were already looking at some deep cuts, and dumping Maclin might have been the price attached to keeping Berry (which I ultimately will continue to view as one of the Chiefs' worst investments on a dollar-per-player-by-position basis). I find that distasteful: Berry over his replacement will not contribute as much to the Chiefs' defense as Maclin over his replacement would have contributed to the Chiefs' offense.

#53 gochiefsgo

gochiefsgo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationSaint Louis, Missouri

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:16 AM

Like he did last year? 12 games played 44 receptions for 536 yards and 2 tds? Those numbers suck for a WR making 12 mil per year

#54 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:56 AM

Maybe that will be so. The truly fascinating thing however was that following the Chiefs' selection of Mahomes, if anyone had thought to do a poll here with the question:

Smith or Maclin: Who Will the Chiefs Cut First?

Most here would have suggested Smith. They would have been wrong.

I'm as shocked as anyone about the Maclin release; I thought he was good stuff. That being said, the Chiefs were already looking at some deep cuts, and dumping Maclin might have been the price attached to keeping Berry (which I ultimately will continue to view as one of the Chiefs' worst investments on a dollar-per-player-by-position basis). I find that distasteful: Berry over his replacement will not contribute as much to the Chiefs' defense as Maclin over his replacement would have contributed to the Chiefs' offense.

I disagree. You can't quantify berry's play just by stats. It similar to Justin Houston. Everybody looks at sacks or tackles or int's, but those 2 guys affect how the other team plays even without racking up tons of stats (which they've also done).

No one here is a bigger maclin fan than me. But Andy has proven over his career that he can manufacture yards and points with all different types of qbs, rbs and receivers. Even though JMac was head and shoulders above our other wrs, Andy will make it work.

#55 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:57 AM

Btw the Star said they tried to trade him but no go. Didn't see anyone post that yet.

#56 PhataLerror

PhataLerror

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:02 AM

Btw the Star said they tried to trade him but no go. Didn't see anyone post that yet.

It's hard to trade that sort of contract after a down year, and he's sustained some significant injuries throughout his career while being solid but never amazing. It's not surprising that they tried to recover some of his value, and not surprising that they were unsuccessful.

#57 PhataLerror

PhataLerror

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:05 AM

I disagree. You can't quantify berry's play just by stats. It similar to Justin Houston. Everybody looks at sacks or tackles or int's, but those 2 guys affect how the other team plays even without racking up tons of stats (which they've also done).

No one here is a bigger maclin fan than me. But Andy has proven over his career that he can manufacture yards and points with all different types of qbs, rbs and receivers. Even though JMac was head and shoulders above our other wrs, Andy will make it work.

You should know by now I'm not stats-centric; otherwise how could I make any defense for Alex Smith?

Berry and Houston have not been difference-makers in the post-season. Maybe if they weren't being paid so much, the Chiefs could afford better talent at the positions top-tier opponents are attacking with consistent success while at the same time avoiding the rush end and the ball-hawking safety.

#58 azchief21

azchief21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:40 AM

AA: The Wide Receiver killer

• Calichief likes this

#59 NChiefsCorner

NChiefsCorner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationLiberty, Missouri

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:42 PM

Do you mean AS?

#60 PhataLerror

PhataLerror

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:06 PM

AA: The Wide Receiver killer

His tight ends do pretty well. They get a lot of touchdowns, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users