Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo
- - - - -

Are the Chiefs a better team this year than last?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:17 PM

A tough question.  We get Ehringer back.  Our running back situation could be better.   Alex Smith is not over the hill although he doesn't get as many first downs with his feet.  Kelce is healthy and coming off an all pro year.   At the same time our biggest long run scoring threat who was hurt last year is gone.  2/3rds of our defensive line is gone.   Our stellar inside linebacker is in his 30s and coming off an Achilles injury.  The other inside linebacker position is not settled. One of the cornerback positions has not been solidified.   And we have no general manager.

A mixed bag of pluses and minuses.

I don't really know what to think.   I don't have great faith in a wide receiver tandem of Albert Wilson and Chris Conley.

I suspect we will fall off a level.   Oakland is a team on the rise.  Andy Reid will keep us in ballgames.  

What do you think?

• maryannbr2 and robertfr16 like this

#2 Gil

Gil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:56 PM

Not discounting the loss of Maclin by any means, but Tyreek is a better deep ball threat than Jeremy and maybe the rest of the entire league. He made magic on limited touches as a rookie. Just wait until he's featured from week one.

As big a Poe fan as I am, Logan is better against the run. Jones is a stud. Allen Bailey is back, and KPass will be disruptive in spot play. Nunez-Roches grew up a lot last year and that should continue.

Hunt is a beast and will supplant Ware in the backfield.

CB is better going into this year than last.

ILB is a concern, but JML and Wilson have another year under their respective belts and I expect them to benefit from that and Logan in the middle.

GMs don't play on Sundays.
  • AlwaysChiefs likes this

#3 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:56 PM

better? no

equal ?..time will tell

this off season has been very troublesome. I really wish we were not on so many Prime Time games..not with this team.

I'm not feeling it.

• wilkie and kcchief4lif like this

#4 DefensiveMan

DefensiveMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:38 PM

Ehinger, unfortunately won't be back until mid-season. He's not going to be ready for camp. We will have Fulton in there starting day 1. He's probably a better center than he is guard that Fulton is. His pass blocking is above average. He's no mauler like Ehinger in the running game though.

#5 DieHard

DieHard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:43 PM

Definitely better if we stay healthy. Houston was basically out for the year. DJ out for half the year. Ware dinged up the second half of the season. Ehinger.

Bottom line is that we did not lose anyone that was a major contributor last year. We added a NT, starting caliber RB and 300 pound edge rusher (if they use him there, I hope they do), a possible WR.

Logan over Poe is a big step up. I hope Poe recovers, but he was man handled the last 2 years. Bad back and over weight are a tough combination. I think Kpass over Ford will be a big step up. Maybe not is sacks, but in consoling the LOS against the run. Ford seems to offer nothing from the right side. He should backup Houston and find a starter on the right IMO.

#6 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:50 PM

Not discounting the loss of Maclin by any means, but Tyreek is a better deep ball threat than Jeremy and maybe the rest of the entire league. He made magic on limited touches as a rookie. Just wait until he's featured from week one.

As big a Poe fan as I am, Logan is better against the run. Jones is a stud. Allen Bailey is back, and KPass will be disruptive in spot play. Nunez-Roches grew up a lot last year and that should continue.

Hunt is a beast and will supplant Ware in the backfield.

CB is better going into this year than last.

ILB is a concern, but JML and Wilson have another year under their respective belts and I expect them to benefit from that and Logan in the middle.

GMs don't play on Sundays.

That's how I see it.  I think the DL will be better.  Chris Jones is unbelievable and will know his shit this year.  Logan will make a huge difference against the run.  We just got Mauga back, helping the LB's. The thing that makes for a #1 WR is being a #1 WR.  Our current guys will get a lot more yds total than last year, when Maclin was hurt or hurting, because they will get the ball a lot more.  I think total receiving yards will go up.  I also think Alex will take more chances in the passing game, since he is fighting for a big contract with another team as early as next year.  Chasson could emerge as a spot guy but will mostly be learning his routes this year. The O-line is young and will be together again, which makes all the difference.  So they will be better. Hunt will improve the running game. Colquitt is back, eliminating that uncertainty.

I also agree with your GM comment.  There is no reason to announce one now.  A GM isn't really needed until after the season, anyway.  I am pretty sure it will be Veach.  He is the best candidate out there and is a super sharp evaluator of talent.  HIghly sought after around the leage and already knows the team and Reid.   So, I think the team will be better.  But that lasts only as long as the first major injury or two, so it is always a crapshoot. But the Chiefs will be in the running for years to come, especially if Mahomes pans out.  My biggest concern is the locker room atmosphere, the way Maclin was handled.  But all the LR leaders are back, and I think they will keep the atmosphere great and on track.

The Chiefs will be a better team when they know that their GM will reward them for great play by re-signing them early in contract years instead of negotiating with them like they are unimportant and being hard nosed about it.  Leaving them franchise tagged in a sport that involves career threatening injuries is bad for the tagged players, makes them too cautious on the field, and makes them feel undervalued by management.  Overall a bad philosophy no matter how astute the talent evaluation is.  FRONT load the damned contracts, also, instead of leaving all that dead money.

Oakland is the strongest team in the division right now because of Carr.  But they paid way too much for him and will hurt them as far as trying to keep the rest of the team together.  Again, a crapshoot, because they are just as susceptible as anyone to that one or two major injury threat.  More so, because I think the Chiefs are much deeper.

• AlwaysChiefs likes this

#7 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:01 PM

A tough question.  We get Ehringer back.  Our running back situation could be better.   Alex Smith is not over the hill although he doesn't get as many first downs with his feet.  Kelce is healthy and coming off an all pro year.   At the same time our biggest long run scoring threat who was hurt last year is gone.  2/3rds of our defensive line is gone.   Our stellar inside linebacker is in his 30s and coming off an Achilles injury.  The other inside linebacker position is not settled. One of the cornerback positions has not been solidified.   And we have no general manager.

A mixed bag of pluses and minuses.

I don't really know what to think.   I don't have great faith in a wide receiver tandem of Albert Wilson and Chris Conley.

I suspect we will fall off a level.   Oakland is a team on the rise.  Andy Reid will keep us in ballgames.  

What do you think?

You have been burned for too long, like me, Wilkie.  Following a team for a half century without a league championship will make anyone a "glass half empty" person.  But I would resist that, if I were you. Look at the roster.  Look at the coach.  These are Marty years coming up.  Vermeil years.  Not Crennel.

#8 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:14 PM

Honestly,  I fear that the window is closing.   Losing Maclin was the big catalyst.   I think that given a year,  teams will figure out how to play Tyreek Hill.   He was used in special situations last year that  showcased his talent.   Do not know if he is an every down receiver.   Other big concern for me is how will DJ rebound. 

This team has a lot of pluses.   But it has more unanswered questions than any year recently.

I have been a rabid fan since 1968 but I find that this year I don't have the same interest and enthusiasm for the start of the 2017 season.   Hope its just me.

#9 DieHard

DieHard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:03 PM

I would have preferred to keep Mac and Howard for this year, but I don't see our window closing. We only have 4 players over the age of 30.

We only have 1 starting Olineman over the age of 26.  None of our potential starters are RB, WR or CB are over 25. It is my opinion that our window might not be open yet, but definitely not closed. 

The players over 30 are Colquit, Hali, Smith and DJ. Losing those 4 does not hurt us to bad if the young guys keep developing. DJ will be the biggest loss. Not sure how we replace him, but the others are not a big deal to me.

#10 DieHard

DieHard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:05 PM

I am curious if Nichols (up to 235) or Kpass (down to 280) will emerge as Hali's replacement. They have a ton of raw talent and I don't have high hopes for Ford on that side.

#11 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:08 PM

I am curious if Nichols (up to 235) or Kpass (down to 280) will emerge as Hali's replacement. They have a ton of raw talent and I don't have high hopes for Ford on that side.

I feel like Nichols is a sure thing.  I HOPE that KPass pans out.  I have always liked Ramik Wilson, and he continues to improve and has not peaked.  It is nice to have Mauga back if he is healthy.

#12 Gil

Gil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:38 PM

I think that given a year,  teams will figure out how to play Tyreek Hill.  

Yeah, it's called double-covering him. That will open up the opportunities for everyone else.

#13 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:50 PM

Yeah, it's called double-covering him. That will open up the opportunities for everyone else.

Exactly.  Especially the running game with Hunt.  Anyway, Hill can outrun any defenders, double-coverage or not.  There will be a lot more deep routes with him the next year, after Mahomes takes over. <_<

• Gil likes this

#14 PhataLerror

PhataLerror

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:10 PM

Are we comparing the 2017 team to the team the Chiefs had at the beginning of 2016 or the end? Many league rosters were better than a Chiefs team with Fulton at guard and a 3-4 defense with a completely invisible linebacking corps.

It comes down to health. I don't care about the potential of Hill or of Hunt. I do care about the known quantities that are game-changers when they are on the field, but haven't been changing games because they are not on the field.

#15 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:32 PM

Are we comparing the 2017 team to the team the Chiefs had at the beginning of 2016 or the end? Many league rosters were better than a Chiefs team with Fulton at guard and a 3-4 defense with a completely invisible linebacking corps.

It comes down to health. I don't care about the potential of Hill or of Hunt. I do care about the known quantities that are game-changers when they are on the field, but haven't been changing games because they are not on the field.

FYI -    This is the time of year we  speculate.  It's fun and relevant.  Last year is history.  Everyone knows about the team in 2016.  Seems like you are compelled to take issue with each and every post someone makes about anything.  Why is that?  But it is nice to learn what YOU care about.  We will be careful to direct our comments with your interests in mind.

#16 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:47 PM

FYI -    This is the time of year we  speculate.  It's fun and relevant.  Last year is history.  Everyone knows about the team in 2016.  Seems like you are compelled to take issue with each and every post someone makes about anything.  Why is that?  But it is nice to learn what YOU care about.  We will be careful to direct our comments with your interests in mind.

:lol:

#17 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:30 PM

Shit it takes a lot to piss Bil off. Might want to rethink your strategy Phatal.

#18 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:06 PM

Shit it takes a lot to piss Bil off. Might want to rethink your strategy Phatal.

Naaah. :lol:

#19 DieHard

DieHard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:15 PM

😆 very funny.

#20 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member