Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo
- - - - -

Are the Chiefs a better team this year than last?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Calichief

Calichief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:12 AM

Are we comparing the 2017 team to the team the Chiefs had at the beginning of 2016 or the end? Many league rosters were better than a Chiefs team with Fulton at guard and a 3-4 defense with a completely invisible linebacking corps.

It comes down to health. I don't care about the potential of Hill or of Hunt. I do care about the known quantities that are game-changers when they are on the field, but haven't been changing games because they are not on the field.

This is absolutely true. Guys have to stay on the damn field.

#22 DefensiveMan

DefensiveMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:18 AM

This is absolutely true. Guys have to stay on the damn field.

Will Houston be back to his former self? The Chiefs season and his career hinges in 2017.

#23 Calichief

Calichief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:49 AM

Will Houston be back to his former self? The Chiefs season and his career hinges in 2017.

Yep. Side note. Mitchell is the real deal. I predict two shutdown corners this year in KC.

#24 DefensiveMan

DefensiveMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:51 AM

Yep. Side note. Mitchell is the real deal. I predict two shutdown corners this year in KC.

I sure hope so man. He played well in all of his starts. He must be - we didn't draft a CB.

#25 Calichief

Calichief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:56 AM

I sure hope so man. He played well in all of his starts. He must be - we didn't draft a CB.

In the short time he played, he was 5th in the NFL in passes defensed. Rivers Carr etc...

#26 PhataLerror

PhataLerror

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:03 AM

This is absolutely true. Guys have to stay on the *** field.

FYI -    This is the time of year we  speculate.  It's fun and relevant.  Last year is history.  Everyone knows about the team in 2016.  Seems like you are compelled to take issue with each and every post someone makes about anything.  Why is that?  But it is nice to learn what YOU care about.  We will be careful to direct our comments with your interests in mind.

I knew something was off when I upset Bil. Then Calichief agreed with me.

Now I don't know which way is up.

#27 Calichief

Calichief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:36 AM

I have agreed plenty. You choose to acknowledge what you want. I agree. Yes. Justin Houston of all people needs to be on the field.

#28 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:19 AM

Don't fret, Phatal. I wasn't really upset.I was probably peeved about something else from earlier in the day, and it carried over. My apologies. It was intended sarcasm, not judgement. Didn't come out right.

#29 Gil

Gil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:14 PM

Happy Birthday Gil

Thanks Wilkie.

#30 Chiefsfan1963

Chiefsfan1963

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:13 AM

That's sort of a loaded question. The team as a whole may win less games, or win more for that matter and it won't truly tell if the team is better. I have seen SB winning teams not make the playoffs the following year does that mean they aren't a better team? Nope it just means breaks that went their way the year before didn't go their way the following year.

I do believe the individual pieces are better but that doesn't always equate to wins.

#31 DieHard

DieHard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:23 AM

I agree. One big unknown is injuries. We were crushed by them last year. Houston, Howard, Bailey, Maclin, Ehinger, Ware, DJ, Charles. Some were playing injured, but some where simply gone for the year. It was like the year before when we faced a healthy Pats with 6 or 7 quality starters out.

Our success will be determined by health. Like everyone. But saying we lose 2 starters for the year, I still think we make the playoffs.

#32 PhataLerror

PhataLerror

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:24 AM

That's sort of a loaded question. The team as a whole may win less games, or win more for that matter and it won't truly tell if the team is better. I have seen SB winning teams not make the playoffs the following year does that mean they aren't a better team? Nope it just means breaks that went their way the year before didn't go their way the following year.

This raises the related question: Is this really about a team being better or worse, or is it more about a team not being as good as / being better than originally perceived? We tend to look backwards rather than project forward, and if the wins come first, we say that a team 'got worse', whereas if the losses gave way to wins, we say the team 'got better'.

It's all about perspective.

#33 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:20 AM

The team is better than a year ago, but the results probably won't reflect that in the W-L column.  They won some games last year with some ridiculous luck. 

I think having a talented, young back in the RB stable to keep all 3 backs fresh will make a big difference (counting on Charles last year was a huge mistake by the Chiefs).  They needed to make an effort to improve their ability to run the ball as well as stopping the run, and I think they accomplished that.

The sacks will tick up once they lower the amount of yards they give up and force teams into more dire passing instances. 

#34 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:06 PM

Remember, also. This is a brutal schedule.

#35 dhitter

dhitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:50 AM

Hard to know. I think KC wins 10 games minimum. Unless they get riddled with key injuries anything short of that should be seen as failure. The team has to be better to get there. You can't count on the Chargers blowing a huge lead late in a game. You can't count on Eric Berry picking a two point conversion attempt and essentially winning the game. You can't count on Santos' kick hitting the upright and going in again.

Regardless....I'm excited that Chiefs football is around the corner.

#36 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:32 AM

I expect the unexpected.

#37 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:37 AM

The team is better than a year ago, but the results probably won't reflect that in the W-L column.  They won some games last year with some ridiculous luck. 

I think having a talented, young back in the RB stable to keep all 3 backs fresh will make a big difference (counting on Charles last year was a huge mistake by the Chiefs).  They needed to make an effort to improve their ability to run the ball as well as stopping the run, and I think they accomplished that.

The sacks will tick up once they lower the amount of yards they give up and force teams into more dire passing instances. 

Yeah.  That will happen a lot more with Bennie Logan.  I also think that Chris Jones is going to start really showing something against the run.  I also think that DJ will again be a factor, and Ramik Wilson will continue to get better.  All of that spells more third and longs.

#38 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:58 AM

I don't expect a lot from DJ, but I think Ramik and even a total jag like Mauga is better than Ramik and some guy.

Think DJ is gonna look really slow this year.

If Bennie Logan is recovered from his injuries, he will be the biggest factor here. Poe was a poor wall last year and the linebackers suffered in result.

#39 DieHard

DieHard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:29 PM

I agree with you guys but that Bennie should make a big difference this year.

And last year when DJ went down we had nobody to put in their. Thus year hopefully we have a healthy March and if not a healthy Mauga. Either option would be an up grade over last year.

I don't know what to expect from DJ. That last achilles worried me and he came back just as productive. Hope he can do it again.

#40 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

I don't know what to expect from DJ. That last achilles worried me and he came back just as productive. Hope he can do it again.

Just from a medical perspective, the technology of tendon repair and rehab has reached amazing levels, so he could do it.  What medicine has not done is turn back father time.  DJ relies on his knowledge and instincts and physical strength more than a need to make sharp cuts.  So, I don't think his stress on the repaired area will be quite as much. The big problem is that those connective tissues have to have elasticity and stretch without popping.  Wherever there has been a repair, the scar tissue from the healed area simply does not stretch as well as the tissue on either side of that area. In a way, it is a good year to have given up our next 1st round choice, because they should be looking for the next star LB, and the second round should be a really good place for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users