Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo
- - - - -

Are the Chiefs a better team this year than last?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,033 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:21 PM

If the key players for KC remain healthy and productive on defense, the Chiefs will be a tough matchup for all.

We must be able to stop the run.  We could not stop the run when we had to last year.

I think the running game will be better on offense because the O-line will be better.

Our passing game will be mediocre unless one of our WR's not named T Hill, plays much better.

w

#42 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:00 PM

If the key players for KC remain healthy and productive on defense, the Chiefs will be a tough matchup for all.

We must be able to stop the run. We could not stop the run when we had to last year.

I think the running game will be better on offense because the O-line will be better.

Our passing game will be mediocre unless one of our WR's not named T Hill, plays much better.

w

Good summary. I think Logan will improve the run defense. March and Mauga and maybe DJ, too.

#43 kccrow

kccrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:50 AM

Better is a relative term.

I think the Chiefs improve in the running game. Hunt is going to add that elusive, patient, Priest Holmes-like runner that the Chiefs need to offset Ware's hammerhead style.

In the passing game, I really don't think we'll see a change in production. Hill will get more targets, and I'd imagine Albert Wilson will return to getting the targets he saw in 2015. 

Defensively, I think a healthy return of Mauga and the addition of Logan really helps the rush defense. I think the Chiefs could feel the loss of Howard, especially as a guy that could slide down to the nose. They don't really have a guy that can do that otherwise. I don't really see an adequate replacement for DJ yet, but I have at least moderate faith in Wilson that the position doesn't implode.  I don't see a fall-off on D. A healthy Houston improves everything.

#44 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:39 PM

Since there is no official camp thread, I'll put my observations in here.

-Tyreek is going to be elite, eventually.

Once he learns the whole aspect of playing his new role in the WCO, he's gonna be on that Antonio Brown level.

Because of that, I understand completely why John Dorsey released Jeremy Maclin. It was a total Ted Thompson move, a very shrewd decision. It was a moneyball decision.

He was due to make #1 WR dough and he was no longer the Chiefs #1 WR. That point must of came clear to him during OTA's.

-With that in mind, I don't see a clear choice after Tyreek. This is the year to figure out who can and can't hang though, as Alex will post his typical stats regardless. I feel the Chiefs will be WR shopping in the spring.

-Hunt has looked good, but I don't see a lead back life for him. He's more a 2 guy, which is fine. Problem is that Spencer Ware is also a 2 guy. Hunt is going to replacing Ware and they will be looking for more of a LeSean guy later on.

I think West is in danger of losing his job to CJ Spiller.

-I haven't seen enough from Escobar to make me think they will dump Harris.

-Alex is simply Alex, which is a good thing or not so good depending on your views.

Mahomes has a lot of tools, but he's not ready to take the reigns. Struggling with making sure his squad is correct+set and still has work to do with his timing and mechanics. When he flings it, it's a thing of beauty.

He'll get it eventually. No need to panic.

Bray is not good.

-Lots of shuffling at ILB, which is a bad sign by this juncture. The Chiefs are going to be weak here again, I think.

-Tanoh reminds me a lot of a young JPP. Fingers crossed they don't leave him at DE; kid looks like the actual Tamba replacement to me and needs to learn the OLB position. Definite Elephant potential.

I don't see a future for Dee Ford unless Houston doesn't bounce back.

-Mitchell is the real deal and Nelson is still god awful when they put him outside. Nothing new really from the S front.

So far I see a playoff contender, but I don't think this team is much better than a year ago. Too many question marks to make me think they could roll into Pittsburgh or Foxboro and get a W come January.
  • oldtimer likes this

#45 kccrow

kccrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:57 PM

no offense liquid, but why do chiefs fans in general like bag on Chris Conley so much. Your statement on "no clear option after Hill" kind of reinforces that notion.

Conley has been a productive player, constantly getting better. The amount he was actually open last year and didn't get the football is astonishing to say the least.

Personally, I think Hill and Conley will be very effective and I'm assuming Wilson will man the slot where he was effective two seasons ago. 

#46 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:19 AM

No offense taken.

I think Conley is just ok and was open a lot (ugh don't get me started on this lol) because of the attention that Kelce and Hill drew.

His route running still needs to improve in order for him to make a bigger impact against better secondaries. His ability to shift and shake off better defenders is lacking.

He's getting better, but he needs to take a giant leap forward this season. I didn't see it personally, yet at least.

#47 Calichief

Calichief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:53 AM

no offense liquid, but why do chiefs fans in general like bag on Chris Conley so much. Your statement on "no clear option after Hill" kind of reinforces that notion.

Conley has been a productive player, constantly getting better. The amount he was actually open last year and didn't get the football is astonishing to say the least.

Personally, I think Hill and Conley will be very effective and I'm assuming Wilson will man the slot where he was effective two seasons ago.

Travis Kelce is like having a WR. Our receiving options are fine. It's not like Maclin did anything last year. Agree with you.

#48 PhataLerror

PhataLerror

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:19 AM

Travis Kelce is like having a WR.

That didn't count in 2014.

#49 Calichief

Calichief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:22 AM

That didn't count in 2014.

He's come a long way. Has to be covered like a WR

#50 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:49 AM

No offense taken.

I think Conley is just ok and was open a lot (ugh don't get me started on this lol) because of the attention that Kelce and Hill drew.

His route running still needs to improve in order for him to make a bigger impact against better secondaries. His ability to shift and shake off better defenders is lacking.

He's getting better, but he needs to take a giant leap forward this season. I didn't see it personally, yet at least.

Conley continues his upward curve.  If he had leveled off, I would be more concerned.  It is true that he was open many times and never seen by Smith. I watched it happen.  Much of that is on Alex.  Alex looks for a primary receiver and is poor at seeing his second and third choices in the progression come open.  it does bother me to see all this disparagement of Conley, who is a great athlete. He is still learning the very difficult WCO playbook of Andy Reid.  I believe he is a solid #2.  I recall some really awesome catches in traffic last year where he fought defenders on contested balls and won.  

I have never had any love for Albert Wilson.  I don't understand why he remains in the picture.  I thought he would be released last year.  He really is just too small to fight the big defenders for the ball.

Hill is destined for stardom, but we cannot afford a major injury to him this year.  If he stays healthy, no one will remember Maclin. Also, an improved running game will help the passing game obviously.  Ware is a bull but needs a break.  He cannot carry the ball the whole game.  If he can split carries with Hunt, he will resume just crushing guys.  I love to see him just plow into defenders and make them look like they aren't even there.  He will do that again if he doesn't have to carry the ball so often. A healthy Ehinger may help with that, also. We'll see.

#51 Vonschnitz

Vonschnitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:57 AM

In Reid's offense, Kelce needs another guy who can catch.  Escobar can catch and is built like Kelce.  He just has shown nothing as a blocker.  Maybe that will change. Demetrius Harris needs to go.  A total butterfingers.  The experiment is over.  Part of the reason I think is that he still is patterned for catching a big round ball, not a football.  He waits for the ball to come in with his hands held too far apart, with his palms cupped in the shape of catching a sphere.  He was patterned for years to catch basketballs, not footballs.  Enough of that experiment.

#52 liquidfriend

liquidfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:06 AM

Alex ignoring Conley is a given because he hates throwing challenging throws, and there's a lot of tape with Conley struggling to get separation.

Alex is never going to stop doing that. I think people are just saying "Alex" and glossing over his flaws.
  • KCSLC2008 likes this

#53 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:47 AM

I noticed that Conley seems to have a lot of difficulty getting off the LOS.   Disappointing considering how tall he is.

#54 PhataLerror

PhataLerror

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:56 PM

Not what I meant. Travis Kelce's touchdown receptions didn't mean anything in 2014 because he's a tight end.

He has come a long way. If he'd stop being an airhead at the worst possible time, maybe the Chiefs could pick up an extra win or two.

#55 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,033 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:24 PM

Wilkie, I had not noticed that Conley has a hard time getting off the line.  That's an interesting take.

Good information.

w

#56 Calichief

Calichief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:22 PM

Not what I meant. Travis Kelce's touchdown receptions didn't mean anything in 2014 because he's a tight end.

He has come a long way. If he'd stop being an airhead at the worst possible time, maybe the Chiefs could pick up an extra win or two.

I see.
He needs to tighten up his behavior for sure.

#57 DieHard

DieHard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:11 PM

Conley had way more snaps than any WR on the team and finished 3rd in yards. He 818 offensive snaps. The next closest was Mac at 629. Mac had a down year dropping passes, playing hurt and missing 4 games. He still finished ahead of Conley.

Hill only had 418 snaps compared to Conley's 818. Hill still had more yards.

I think Conley can be a starter, but last year was a golden opportunity (with our clear #1 hobbled) to step up and take it. Hill did and Conley didn't. Maybe year 3 he shines. I was definitely better last year.

• fanatic likes this

#58 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:05 AM

Conley had way more snaps than any WR on the team and finished 3rd in yards. He 818 offensive snaps. The next closest was Mac at 629. Mac had a down year dropping passes, playing hurt and missing 4 games. He still finished ahead of Conley.

Hill only had 418 snaps compared to Conley's 818. Hill still had more yards.

I think Conley can be a starter, but last year was a golden opportunity (with our clear #1 hobbled) to step up and take it. Hill did and Conley didn't. Maybe year 3 he shines. I was definitely better last year.

How many of those snaps was Conley the 1st, or even 2nd read? How many were run plays? Amount of snaps is irrelevent.

#59 DieHard

DieHard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:58 PM

How many of those snaps was Conley the 1st, or even 2nd read? How many were run plays? Amount of snaps is irrelevent.

That's kind of the point. As a coach, you don't make the guy who can't get open the #1 or #2 option. If Conely is routinely the #4 option, that is not an excuse for Conely not being productive. It is proof that the coaches are seeing the same thing we are. No separation.

Like I said, he was better last year, but he needs to take another step. Explode off the line and make much sharper cuts IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users