Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Rocky Mountain National Park

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 azchief21

azchief21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:38 PM

Headed there Saturday, anybody have any must see areas of the park? Hiking trails, lakes, moose locations?

#2 Goldbrick

Goldbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:10 AM

I don't know the west side of the park very well, but I go to the east side at least a dozen times a year.  Probably a lot more now, since I start a new job next week that's about 20 minutes from the park.

I like the drive up the Old Fall River Road.  It's a one-way dirt road up to the Alpine Visitor's Center.  You can take Trail Ridge Road back down.  If I remember right, you're a photographer, and this drive offers some great views and many photo opportunities.  There are several places to pull off and walk around, and several waterfalls right near the road.  Earlier this summer, I saw some moose on the way up.  They're not very common on the East side of the park.

You can stop at the alluvial fan on the way.  It was caused by the Lawn Lake flood when a natural dam broke that had held since the last ice age.

If you're up for a hike, you can see the headwaters of the Colorado River.  I think it's about 9 miles round trip.  I've never done this hike, but I've always wanted to.

It's been very cool and rainy here lately.  Expect highs in the 70's and overnight lows in the 40's and 50's.

Hope you have a great trip.

#3 azchief21

azchief21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:22 AM

I don't know the west side of the park very well, but I go to the east side at least a dozen times a year.  Probably a lot more now, since I start a new job next week that's about 20 minutes from the park.

I like the drive up the Old Fall River Road.  It's a one-way dirt road up to the Alpine Visitor's Center.  You can take Trail Ridge Road back down.  If I remember right, you're a photographer, and this drive offers some great views and many photo opportunities.  There are several places to pull off and walk around, and several waterfalls right near the road.  Earlier this summer, I saw some moose on the way up.  They're not very common on the East side of the park.

You can stop at the alluvial fan on the way.  It was caused by the Lawn Lake flood when a natural dam broke that had held since the last ice age.

If you're up for a hike, you can see the headwaters of the Colorado River.  I think it's about 9 miles round trip.  I've never done this hike, but I've always wanted to.

It's been very cool and rainy here lately.  Expect highs in the 70's and overnight lows in the 40's and 50's.

Great info, Gold. Thanks. Yep I'm a photographer. I love to hike but getting over a recent illness and the lungs are not back to normal. So with the altitude, I'll probably limit our hikes to 4 miles RT. That'll just give me a reason to go back. Congrats on getting a job that close but the Donkey fans have to be a little nauseating. 

#4 Goldbrick

Goldbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:57 AM

...the Donkey fans have to be a little nauseating. 

Only when the donkeys win, so it shouldn't be a problem this season.

#5 azchief21

azchief21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:59 PM

Only when the donkeys win, so it shouldn't be a problem this season.

Haha. Might have to touch down and wander through the airport in some Chief's gear.

#6 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:35 AM

We were elk hunting north of Vail one year... had moose walking right through our camp between the trucks and the tents.

Wherever you go, if you camp... remember one thing

nature rewards SILENCE

#7 azchief21

azchief21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:05 AM

We were elk hunting north of Vail one year... had moose walking right through our camp between the trucks and the tents.

nature rewards SILENCE

Great advice. I've used silence many times out in the sticks. Going with my wife so these days camping is out of the question. She used to love it, no more. We will take some hikes though. 110 for high today in AZ, 72 Saturday in the high mountains. 

#8 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,473 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:23 PM

nature rewards SILENCE

That's what I tell my wife.

• MAUI, oldtimer, azchief21 and 1 other like this

#9 azchief21

azchief21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:25 AM

Hey Goldbrick, thanks again for the info. The first pic is looking back at the Old Fall River Road after we drove up. You can see it to the left halfway up the picture. it was taken from the Alpine Center.

IMG 5089
IMG 5541
IMG 5129
IMG 5282
IMG 5449

#10 Goldbrick

Goldbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:13 AM

I think I've stopped in the exact spot of the 4th pick several times.  Is that overlooking Endovalley?

Hope you had a great trip.  Too bad it was cold and rainy while you were here.

#11 azchief21

azchief21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:10 PM

I think I've stopped in the exact spot of the 4th pick several times.  Is that overlooking Endovalley?

Hope you had a great trip.  Too bad it was cold and rainy while you were here.

Yes that's Endovalley. That is Alberta Waterfall. Actually the weather wasn't as bad as we anticipated. We got hailed on once when driving and then it poured right as were finishing a hike to Nymph Lake. The weather changes a lot in the park. If you don't like it......wait 10 minutes. Beautiful place overall.

• oldtimer likes this

#12 Goldbrick

Goldbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted Today, 05:23 AM

Tonight I'm staying at a haunted inn near RMNP.  It's only me, my girlfriend, and our 2 small dogs.  There is nobody else in the building.  I haven't seen anything strange, yet, but the night isn't over.

• azchief21 likes this

#13 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted Today, 11:55 AM

any spooks?

#14 Goldbrick

Goldbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted Today, 02:30 PM

any spooks?

I didn't see or hear anything, but I was so tired, I would have slept through anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users