Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Charlottesville riot

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#41 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:33 PM

Go argue that on another thread....

People have the right to say it WITHOUT being attacked.

Its fundamental.

w

i never said otherwise

#42 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:38 PM

One thing I do know, the Confederate Flag & Confederate War Memorials are divisive and they are not going to go away easily.

This current riot event started over the State of Virginia taking down Civil War Statues and Renaming Landmarks.

I know plenty of folks from that part of the country and they do not take things like that lightly.

This may be the new flash point.

w

#43 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:40 PM

This kind of behavior reinforces other countries criticisms of the United States.  I foolishly believed we were more civilized than this.  Makes me wonder how much progress as a people we have made in God's eyes.

#44 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:41 PM

What "behavior" are you speaking about?

Attacking Protestors?

w

#45 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:43 PM

West,   I do not believe it is necessary to remove Confederate monuments or rename history.   History is what it is and should not be a revisionist history merely to conform to 2017 version of politically correct.    

• oldtimer and Semo like this

#46 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:46 PM

I see the other side too, It represents the worst of our country and it should not be re-enforced.

Also, I think we both understand that reality and history are not always the same.  Many times the winner gets editorial rights over the loser.

w

• Semo likes this

#47 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

I went to school with some kids at WP that could trace their family lineage all the way back to the founding of the nation and the service careers of their great, great, great grandfathers all the way through to the present.  They had huge pride and IMO they operated under a ton of pressure to live up to some very high standards......

It was a relief for me to come from a family of 2nd generation teachers.  My grandfather was a bugler in the German Army during the later part of WWI and got to the US as quickly as he could when the war ended....

All I had to do was survive....

w

#48 omahacolt

omahacolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:57 PM

What "behavior" are you speaking about?

Attacking Protestors?

w

who did the attacking? I didn't see who instigated the fighting.

#49 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:59 PM

My grandfather was a member of the local KKK. I do not want his picture taken down from City Hall as a commissioner in the 1920s. It simply is what it is. I don't deny it.

#50 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:17 PM

Yeah, it is what it is.....

I think this will be the new flash point for division politics as Maui suggested early on in the thread.

w

#51 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:20 PM

Show me who I have blamed. James Fields was taken from his car at the scene and arrested. This is not political. This is fact.

James Fields, an out of state self proclaimed white supremacist has been charged with second degree murder

#52 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:25 PM

But to remove the monuments is akin to denying it.  Maybe in 2017 the exploits of Nathan Bedford Forrest should not be memorialized.   He was a cold blooded murdering Confederate cavalry general.   But when the statue of him was erected and memorialized it was a different time with different values.   We should honor the history for what it was and hope that we can learn from it.   I think removing it is like the Nazis burning the books in the Rheichstag.  It is an attempt to tell future generataions that it didn't happen.

You may be right about the next flashpoint.   But whether originally justified in protesting or not,  this in no way excuses a man from driving his car into a crowd of anti neo Nazi protestors and killing one woman and injuring 24.   I pray that nobody tries to make a martyr out of this guy.

#53 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:29 PM

He was a cold blooded murdering Confederate cavalry general.   

Same thing could be said, quite accurately, about William Tecumseh Sherman.

Yet, he is honored and revered. 

Please try to brush aside your Captain Obvious temptation to lecture us about how the victors get to write history... because we already know it.

#54 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:35 PM

William Tecumseh Sherman was a cold blooded murdering Union general.

Both men deserve their place in history.

#55 NChiefsCorner

NChiefsCorner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts
  • LocationLiberty, Missouri

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:38 PM

Maybe the British are offended by Paul Revere and his statue should be taken down in Boston.

#56 NChiefsCorner

NChiefsCorner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

God was removed first. :o

#57 Chiefsfan1963

Chiefsfan1963

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:18 PM

William Tecumseh Sherman was a cold blooded murdering Union general.

Both men deserve their place in history.

And an ancestor of mine.

Not a direct line but ancestor still the same.

#58 MAUI

MAUI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationMaui

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:03 PM

Everybody in the country will be following this because it hits everyone at a base level. Its a struggle between basic human nature and rational thinking.., To me, every thinking human wrestles with what amount of prejudice they possess..,  The trouble comes when you have outside voices, agitators and special interests trying to tell you how to think.., Everyone needs to look at what these voices have to gain by swaying, inciting and dividing people..,

To me, if we're fighting each other we not only lose, but we play right into the hands of the people that stand to gain by dividing, inciting hate and keeping people in fear and distrust of each other.., If one follows the money, the media has the most to gain by playing to base emotions.., If they keep us feeling instead of thinking then they have us by the nose.., Power rises from chaos and agitation, especially taken to extremes.., It's the responsibility of everyone of us to be smart enough to not get sucked in to someone elses power play.., If we do, we lose individually and mankind as a whole takes a giant step backward.., We have to be aware enough to not let that happen and not buy into their game..,

That's how I see it anyway..,

• kcchief4lif, oldtimer, KC Warpaint and 3 others like this

#59 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:10 PM

Wise Words My friend, wise words.

The real game is about making America a better place through unity.

Fixing Education, Taking Care of OUR poor people, Taking Care of our veterans, Building a Strong Military....

Its about time we ignore the News Media and 99% of the Politicians.

w

#60 NChiefsCorner

NChiefsCorner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:12 PM

It may turn out that the protesters from the left were attacking this kids car and he floored it trying to get away, we just don't know as of right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users