Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

our national anthem

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#101 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:43 PM

Great news on your kids MLoe. But Public schools are a HUGE problem in America. California Public Schools are a perfect example of this as they have declined for the past 30 years, Once at the top of the list, now worse than mediocre.

Of course, we can disagree on this but I sit on two college boards and have been on the Board of trustees for a school district for years. Its harder and harder to find qualified high school graduates for math and science majors.

I would add that I agree with you about STEM but the reall issue is much deeper. Public School teachers are not capable of keeping math and science classes meaningful for kid in middle school.

No algebra by the time you hit high school and STEM is just another tool that students do not use.

Bringing in Private Business to help is great, but that means education standards (Previously controlled by the Dpt of Education) must be amended to allow curriculum input.

Like every other nation I visit, we need to secure our borders.

We can argue about the defense budget, that's a function of capability vs reasonable threats.

w
PS sorry about the typos...on a portable.

We learnt the basics of algebra and trig in the 6th grade... shows you how far in the hole we have fallen in just 35 yrs

then again, our schools have been run by libs... and what have liberals EVER done well, other than whine?

#102 Mloe68

Mloe68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:59 AM

Great news on your kids MLoe. But Public schools are a HUGE problem in America. California Public Schools are a perfect example of this as they have declined for the past 30 years, Once at the top of the list, now worse than mediocre.

Of course, we can disagree on this but I sit on two college boards and have been on the Board of trustees for a school district for years. Its harder and harder to find qualified high school graduates for math and science majors.

I would add that I agree with you about STEM but the reall issue is much deeper. Public School teachers are not capable of keeping math and science classes meaningful for kid in middle school.

No algebra by the time you hit high school and STEM is just another tool that students do not use.

Bringing in Private Business to help is great, but that means education standards (Previously controlled by the Dpt of Education) must be amended to allow curriculum input.

Like every other nation I visit, we need to secure our borders.

We can argue about the defense budget, that's a function of capability vs reasonable threats.

w
PS sorry about the typos...on a portable.

I find this odd. I live in what many around the country consider to be a backwards ass state in Kansas and yet my daughter is already in Advanced Algebra 2 as a Freshman and I literally don't know anyone who isn't past Algebra 1 and into Geometry at this point. How can public schools here be so different than California? I guess my point is this may be the point to bring voucher argument back out as clearly the public school model can work.
On the other hand the college model appears to be even more broken overall. Too many attendees with no career path getting themselves into staggering student debt because of ridiculous tuitions.
I'm all for the Dept of Education to be done away with. Curriculum belongs in the hands of local educators and not politicians.

#103 BroncoStud

BroncoStud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 04:01 AM

On the other hand the college model appears to be even more broken overall. Too many attendees with no career path getting themselves into staggering student debt because of ridiculous tuitions.

I think the only way you correct this is by removing the federal government from the student loan business...?  Remove the endless stream of taxpayer subsidization to universities...

Also, I think it makes sense (at least to me) to start focusing more heavily on trades/skills.  The USA needs less attorneys and liberal arts majors and more people who can build and fix stuff - in my opinion.

#104 Biggjliv4

Biggjliv4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 04:23 AM

Instead of taking a knee during our anthem and flag, why don't they actually risk something and protest during the game or half time? Easy to take a knee when it doesn't actually cost them anything while they disrespect our flag and anthem. Put your money where your injustice is.

#105 Mloe68

Mloe68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:03 AM

I think the only way you correct this is by removing the federal government from the student loan business...? Remove the endless stream of taxpayer subsidization to universities...

Also, I think it makes sense (at least to me) to start focusing more heavily on trades/skills. The USA needs less attorneys and liberal arts majors and more people who can build and fix stuff - in my opinion.

i totally agree we need more people learning trade skills and the government out of the student loan business. Heck the Federal government has no constitutional authority to be involved in education at all.
  • West, BroncoStud and mex like this

#106 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:39 PM

the idea that everyone has to have a college degree is ludicrous

learn a trade, avoid the debt, and use that money to build a business of your own

the American dream is still alive and well

as long as we get government out of our way

#107 BroncoStud

BroncoStud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

learn a trade, avoid the debt, and use that money to build a business of your own

That's a great point actually, instead of accruing tens of thousands of dollars of debt early in your adult life just learn a trade and start a business instead. 

#108 Mloe68

Mloe68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:02 PM

One thing Americans have a hard time understanding is that you aren't really free if you have massive debt. We have a culture in this country of burying ourselves in such debt at a very early age because of student loans and the general over availability of credit. 

#109 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,193 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:16 PM

MLOE, we are in agreement about many things here. Getting the government out of the education field is very important.

And yes, public schools are in real trouble across the nation.

w

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users