Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

The Reason Hillary Lost

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 BroncoStud

BroncoStud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:41 PM

Outfits like this didn't help her chances:

Dress-For-the-Job-You-Want.jpg?resize=64

• West and mex like this

#22 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,818 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:14 AM

Pope Paul says good deeds alone will NOT give you a passage to heavan

#23 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:44 AM

All mainline Christian denominations teach that.  It's spelled out in the New Testament many times, but that doesn't mean that good deeds aren't important to living life to the fullest.

#24 Calichief

Calichief

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:06 AM

So do you have to mix in some bad deeds? I've done an exemplary job of that. So I'm good.

#25 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,818 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

Catholics believe there is no sin that cannot be forgiven. There are two classes of sins. Original sin and venal sin.

Right now the big debate is over abortion and homosexuality. I don't support the Vatican on either of these issues. My church no longer demands strict ad adherence to these dogmas as so many American Catholics are in the same place.

The discipline in Catholic church is pretty lax compared to 50 years ago. It is hard to understand Jesus teachings as he spoke in parables and a lot of what we know is actually based on Paul's writings.. Best way to understand is to read the Sermon on the Mount. That I think is the straight talk in how to conduct your life. JMHOP. Do you tythe to your church?

#26 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:50 PM

I give the minimal amount to the Church in the envelope.

We do provide a scholarship at a Catholic All Girls High School for a child at need. This high school has a 99% college acceptance rate and it chanegs lives...

We also contribute to two Catholic Universities....

Our idea is to give to VERY SPECIFIC causes in order to make sure the $$ is not wasted defended pedophiles.

I think St Peter will put in a good word on that.
w

#27 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:04 PM

. Do you tythe to your church?

What does that have to do with good deeds?  The tithe was demanded in the Old Testament and used by churches today as a guide for giving, but I never considered those who give less or not at all as sinners.  Churches get a bad rap for always asking for money and many deserve it.  Church leadership and especially senior pastors seem to not be very practical when it comes to finances.  Like the government, they seem to find projects and programs that exceed resources.  I've known people who were turned of on organized religion because of this.  Not being familiar with the Catholic denomination, I'd like to know if that's a big deal for them.

#28 Semo

Semo

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,785 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:10 PM

Tithing was required under Old Testament law and was only to be given to Levite Priests and widows.  It has no place under the New Testament as Jesus said to give from your heart as God has prospered you.  Not to give 10% of your gross income to your church.  To whom much is given, much is required.  And vice versa.

#29 azchief21

azchief21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:33 PM

I went to a Catholic wedding once. Very boring.

#30 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:35 PM

Tithing was required under Old Testament law and was only to be given to Levite Priests and widows.  It has no place under the New Testament as Jesus said to give from your heart as God has prospered you.  Not to give 10% of your gross income to your church.  To whom much is given, much is required.  And vice versa.

Yep, there are good people who can't or won't give much money, but give of their time very generously.  Our church runs a large food pantry and the amount of volunteerism amazes me.  Some make it a second job without compensation.  I admire those folks more than the big money givers.

• West and mex like this

#31 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:34 PM

agree. Time is our most valuable asset.

w

#32 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,818 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:40 PM

In the Catholic church time spent doing good deeds is considered part of tithing. Few parishioners I know of give the recommended 10 per cent.

There are no guarantees and I really do not know if I have lived an exemplary life. Better than a few but not as good as many others.

#33 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:20 PM

In the Catholic church time spent doing good deeds is considered part of tithing. Few parishioners I know of give the recommended 10 per cent.

There are no guarantees and I really do not know if I have lived an exemplary life. Better than a few but not as good as many others.

You were a lawyer.  That's a lot of baggage you'll have to make up for.   :lol:  :lol:

#34 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,818 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:24 PM

Worse than that...a DIVORCE lawyer. We all know what the church thinks of divorce.

#35 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:29 AM

Worse than that...a DIVORCE lawyer. We all know what the church thinks of divorce.

You'll have a lot of 'splainin' to do when you meet Pete.   You should have been a Protestant.  Divorce isn't such a sin with most of them.

#36 chiefmanZada

chiefmanZada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:22 AM

Trumps azz betta come through.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users