Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

I hope Peters isn't reverting to his college antics

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#81 moons314

moons314

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:55 PM

I understand that. But the reality of it is different for most people. There is a perception of lack of fairness if an all white jury convicts a black teen in the murder of a white man. I've never heard of an all black jury trying a white defendant, but it would be the same either way. You don't have to agree or like it, and the jury is almost certainly doing their best to be fair, either way. But if I'm a black teen, I would prefer a mixed jury to an all white one.

It's a matter of location.  I live in a very rural county where the black population is less than 1%.  If a black man were charged with a crime that warranted a jury trial here, he's getting an all white jury, because that's what the jury pool dictates.  It would be diverse in terms of male/female, but that's about it.  That's the nature of farm country.

#82 Mloe68

Mloe68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:08 PM

Well, blacks make up 13% of the US population, so on average that is probably how a jury should look.  Throw in the other races, typically it should shake out that way.  But both sides go through extensive jury selection, so basically at the end of the day, each side has selected approximately half of the jurors for reasons they deem advantageous to their case.

The process of picking the jury from a pool of about 100 people really was not all that time consuming even though it was a case which ultimately resulted in a guy going to prison for more than a decade. They didn't get at all into education or politics. Just basic fairness stuff. I guess when you have a public defender vs an assistant AD they don't have the time or probably intellect in some cases to really voir dire a jury properly. In fact the defenses entire 3 day case was pure folly that the deliberation rules didn't even allow us to talk about. She was definitely relying on the jury to understand his plight which was nearly impossible and really irrelevant. But it probably would have been helpful if he had some folks with a similar background to build that foundation with. But again we represented an affluent educated county pretty well. There was no chance he was getting true peers where I live. But he absolutely got a very fair trial as I assume most (certainly not all) people do. 

IE: Its less about the color of your skin and more about your bank balance.

• BroncoStud likes this

#83 moons314

moons314

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:06 AM

Peters makes an ass of himself screaming at what appears to be Sutton on the sideline. All the talent in the world but coming off as a selfish headcase. Even worse for us, if he keeps the crap up his trade value plummets because teams aren’t gonna give up high picks for a problem child.

#84 BroncoStud

BroncoStud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:12 AM

The process of picking the jury from a pool of about 100 people really was not all that time consuming even though it was a case which ultimately resulted in a guy going to prison for more than a decade. They didn't get at all into education or politics. Just basic fairness stuff. I guess when you have a public defender vs an assistant AD they don't have the time or probably intellect in some cases to really voir dire a jury properly. In fact the defenses entire 3 day case was pure folly that the deliberation rules didn't even allow us to talk about. She was definitely relying on the jury to understand his plight which was nearly impossible and really irrelevant. But it probably would have been helpful if he had some folks with a similar background to build that foundation with. But again we represented an affluent educated county pretty well. There was no chance he was getting true peers where I live. But he absolutely got a very fair trial as I assume most (certainly not all) people do. 

IE: Its less about the color of your skin and more about your bank balance.

Old but remains true: the color of justice is GREEN.

#85 robgar

robgar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:39 PM

I don't like mlk

#86 moons314

moons314

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:58 PM

I've been busy this morning at work.  Any news today on Peters and what was going on over on the sidelines?

#87 moons314

moons314

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:01 PM

https://www.arrowhea...on-the-sideline

There's video of him being a dumbass.

#88 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,269 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:14 PM

I've been busy this morning at work.  Any news today on Peters and what was going on over on the sidelines?

I listened to most of Grunny's hour with Petro. I heard nothing  while I was listening. I got the impression it was directed towards Sutton but I could be wrong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users