Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo
- - - - -

Alex "F It" Smith

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#21 sith13

sith13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:57 PM

he still has next year  on his contract  $22 Mil in all if he shows up to camp etc

Smith will want a new contract after this season, with the Chiefs or some other team. He won't risk another season and age for his final pay day. Having him under contract for another year is a nice chip for the Chiefs.

#22 PhataLerror

PhataLerror

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:21 PM

Of all quarterbacks to play during the Super Bowl era, Alex Smith ranks second in all-time win percentage in the final or most-recent 33 starts of his career. Earl Morrall was the leader with an .875 win percentage, and John Elway tied with Smith with .818. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady round out the top-five with a .758 record.

#23 KCSLC2008

KCSLC2008

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:59 PM

Between Tyreek, Kelce and Kareem defenses now are going to try and take 1-2 of those guys away and leave at least one in single coverage. And Alex is getting the ball to that guy. Heck the other WRs are getting it done too. So your exactly right we haven't had weapons that had to be accounted for like this before.
Alex is on pace for 4,500 yards, 35 TDs, 0 INTs and we are a third of the way through the season. He's just been remarkably good. This just isn't sustainable. I'll say this though. If he throws for 4,000 yards and say 27 TDs, 8 INTs. It would be the best season by a Chiefs QB ever and probably enough to win 12 plus games and have a good chance at home field advantage. Can he do this would be my question? Can he be that much better than he's ever been?

Due to sitting out the final game of two years ago, he had 23 touchdowns instead of 25 or so. But if he gets just one touchdown per game for the rest the year, he would get 22. Barring some real bad luck, he shouldn't get an interception anymore than every other game for the remainder of the season, so 5? So my conservative floor is 22 and 5. The ceiling for me is probably 33 and 4. (That's two per game. Rounding up on the interceptions due to luck and the fact that we will push at some point.) So your numbers above are reasonable, in the middle.

As far as yards go, he has 1391 already and we have 11 games remaining so 1391 + a very conservative 200 per game would be 3591. Bump that average to 225 and we have 3866, so 4000 isn't out of the question for even a down to Earth Smith. (241.5 yards per game was last year's average in 14.5 games, I think.)

#24 moons314

moons314

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:33 PM

It’s a tough comparison because Trent had 2 HOF offensive lineman and also was throwing to a HOF TE, lots of qb’s would have thrived in that offense.

He was also dropping dimes on 25 yard outs and post patterns to Eddie Kennison and Jonnie Morton.  When that offense stepped on the field, you expected them to score.  I don't mean that as any disrespect to Smith, but I'm still of the opinion that Trent is the best QB this franchise has ever had, well until Mahomes begins his HOF career.

#25 KCJohnKC

KCJohnKC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:39 PM

He was also dropping dimes on 25 yard outs and post patterns to Eddie Kennison and Jonnie Morton. When that offense stepped on the field, you expected them to score. I don't mean that as any disrespect to Smith, but I'm still of the opinion that Trent is the best QB this franchise has ever had, well until Mahomes begins his HOF career.

It's funny, I've thought about this a ton over Smiths time in KC. Last night was the very first time I was confident each and every time we touched the ball since Alex got here.

With eyes downfield, Alex is a different QB. Plain and simple. I'm **SO** excited for Mahomes but if Alex keeps this up, I'll actually get to enjoy this year and not lament letting Mahomes learn in-game. I even believe that playing like this I have winning playoff aspirations as well.

#26 PAChiefsFan79

PAChiefsFan79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:39 PM

He was also dropping dimes on 25 yard outs and post patterns to Eddie Kennison and Jonnie Morton.  When that offense stepped on the field, you expected them to score.  I don't mean that as any disrespect to Smith, but I'm still of the opinion that Trent is the best QB this franchise has ever had, well until Mahomes begins his HOF career.

It is definitely hard to compare the 2 QB's. Trent Green can do everything that Smith is doing with the exception of Smith being a more mobile QB. Unfortunately for Smith in this comparison is that Green performed for multiple years at a high level. Losing a playoff game to Peyton Manning's Colts with ZERO punts pretty much sums up how good Trent was in KC. The way Smith is playing right now, I would probably take over Green but Green was getting it done for years.

#27 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,269 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:05 PM

He was also dropping dimes on 25 yard outs and post patterns to Eddie Kennison and Jonnie Morton.  When that offense stepped on the field, you expected them to score.  I don't mean that as any disrespect to Smith, but I'm still of the opinion that Trent is the best QB ( that I have seen)this franchise has ever had, well until Mahomes begins his HOF career.

I fixed it for ya

cough cough ..Dawson

lets not get carried away

#28 soonerborn77

soonerborn77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:11 PM

He definitely was but like I said he was able to sit behind one of the best lines in football history and throw.  Also you need to give him the same criticism you give Alex, especially when you talk about the offense not taking full advantage and scoring like you were in the GDT yesterday.  Take the colts playoff loss for example, against a crappy colts D at home, we went down 14-3 in the first, ended up scoring only 24 (Hall had the other 7 on a punt return) and Green ended up 18-30 for 212 yards and 1 TD.  That line you would be lighting Alex on fire for and saying that even though the D didn't get a stop, the O should have done much more.

• KCSLC2008 likes this

#29 moons314

moons314

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:54 PM

I fixed it for ya

cough cough ..Dawson

lets not get carried away

I know the Super Bowl and everything, but I intentionally omitted Lenny because it was just such a different era.  He was great in his day, but I have doubts that a QB like him would've been able to excel in the modern pass happy NFL.  Trent's accuracy was just ridiculous.  

#30 moons314

moons314

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:56 PM

He definitely was but like I said he was able to sit behind one of the best lines in football history and throw.  Also you need to give him the same criticism you give Alex, especially when you talk about the offense not taking full advantage and scoring like you were in the GDT yesterday.  Take the colts playoff loss for example, against a crappy colts D at home, we went down 14-3 in the first, ended up scoring only 24 (Hall had the other 7 on a punt return) and Green ended up 18-30 for 212 yards and 1 TD.  That line you would be lighting Alex on fire for and saying that even though the D didn't get a stop, the O should have done much more.

Were you around the boards at that time?  I can't remember.  I was absolutely blasting the offense that day.  The Colts had a great offense, and we knew our defense was subpar anyway, so it was entirely on the offense.  I nearly had a stroke when Vermiel punted.  IIRC, I think Gonzales had a very costly drop in that game too.

#31 PAChiefsFan79

PAChiefsFan79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:15 PM

I know the Super Bowl and everything, but I intentionally omitted Lenny because it was just such a different era.  He was great in his day, but I have doubts that a QB like him would've been able to excel in the modern pass happy NFL.  Trent's accuracy was just ridiculous.  

Yes and no. I didn't watch Lenny play, I was born in '79. But from books and articles I've read, Lenny was a QB that did pass the ball more than the norm for his era. That said it still doesn't compare to today. Than again, I remember seeing some crazy stat from last season about Alex Smith, Lenny the Cool, and one other QB having an average QB rating while winning "x" amount of games. Alex Smith of last season did what Lenny was doing, but doing it in the modern era...and winning. I wish I could remember where I seen the stats, internet, TV.

#32 Mloe68

Mloe68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:28 PM

Question is how are teams going to adapt to how we are playing. To me Alex is really putting pressure on defenses when he gets outside of the tackles. In the past it was simply because he could run, but now he's using that time to make plays down the field. As such shouldn't we expect teams to start to try and keep him in the pocket and force him try and beat one on one matchups on the outside? If i was playing us, that's what I would do. 

#33 oldtimer

oldtimer

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,269 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:30 PM

well her is food for thought for you post Lenny guys who might thave " doubts that a QB like him would've been able to excel in the modern pass happy NFL"

14 game seasons  where the DB's had almost no restraints on them  from 1962-67 he passed over 2200 yrds in all but one year. you give him 2 more games  and the WR favorable rules like today he's 3K + 7 years in a row

but here is a chart so you can study the facts not what you think. He was Joe Namath's Idol..said he practiced walking out to the Huddle like Lenny

http://www.nfl.com/p...662/careerstats

#34 moons314

moons314

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:44 PM

Question is how are teams going to adapt to how we are playing. To me Alex is really putting pressure on defenses when he gets outside of the tackles. In the past it was simply because he could run, but now he's using that time to make plays down the field. As such shouldn't we expect teams to start to try and keep him in the pocket and force him try and beat one on one matchups on the outside? If i was playing us, that's what I would do. 

If teams start doing that, Hunt is going to gash them.  

#35 dksww

dksww

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCaslte Rock, Co

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:59 PM

Were you around the boards at that time?  I can't remember.  I was absolutely blasting the offense that day.  The Colts had a great offense, and we knew our defense was subpar anyway, so it was entirely on the offense.  I nearly had a stroke when Vermiel punted.  IIRC, I think Gonzales had a very costly drop in that game too.

Boerighter had the TD drop.

Morten Anderson missed an easy FG

TG was wrongly called for OPI on a 40+ yard TD reception.

refs cost us 7, we shot ourselves in the foot cost us 7 points

#36 jetlord

jetlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:15 PM

Things that have made Smith better this year:

a. Hunt

b. Hill

c. Mahomes

d. Reid

Hunt is such a threat to rip off a first down that the defense has to account for him no matter the down and distance.  It opens up lots of options for the Chiefs' complicated offense.

Hill is the defense's worst nightmare.  Just being in motion draws an extra defenders attention.  Notice where the safety is playing with Hill in the lineup compared to where they did with Maclin.  Like Hunt, Hill opens up the play book even when the ball isn't coming his way.

Mahomes seems to have lighted a fire under Smith.  Maybe not the competition for the starting job, but just the creative throws while on the move and the deeper passes look more like we expect Mahomes to be than what Smith was in past seasons.

Reid has been exceptional.  He has brought in and used the tools to make this offense very hard to cover.  Those who think the Chiefs took a step backward when Maclin was let go just aren't paying attention.  They are making more first downs, more 20 yard plays, keeping the defenses off balance, and WINNING.  Injuries haven't killed the offense yet and the defense is making do without Berry.  Give credit to the coaching and planning.

• bavarianq likes this

#37 azchief21

azchief21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:22 PM

a. Hunt
b. Hill
c. Mahomes
d. Reid

Hunt is such a threat to rip off a first down that the defense has to account for him no matter the down and distance.  It opens up lots of options for the Chiefs' complicated offense.

Hill is the defense's worst nightmare.  Just being in motion draws an extra defenders attention.  Notice where the safety is playing with Hill in the lineup compared to where they did with Maclin.  Like Hunt, Hill opens up the play book even when the ball isn't coming his way.

Mahomes seems to have lighted a fire under Smith.  Maybe not the competition for the starting job, but just the creative throws while on the move and the deeper passes look more like we expect Mahomes to be than what Smith was in past seasons.

Reid has been exceptional.  He has brought in and used the tools to make this offense very hard to cover.  Those who think the Chiefs took a step backward when Maclin was let go just aren't paying attention.  They are making more first downs, more 20 yard plays, keeping the defenses off balance, and WINNING.  Injuries haven't killed the offense yet and the defense is making do without Berry.  Give credit to the coaching and planning.

Great post Jet. Those winters in AZ are paying off!

#38 Dablueguy

Dablueguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:34 PM

Trent never had the plate of weapons Alex has been given by Dorsey over the last few years at the WR position.    Until this year, Alex just didn't take full advantage of the weapons around him.   For whatever reason, Mahomes/F-it, New Contract, this year he's using the full plate and not limiting them.   If Alex consistently played like this years ago, there would have been no call to replace him, no trade up for Mahomes.   

Now, he's playing for his next mega contract, and hopefully a nice high pick for us.  

Lenny was an all time great, in a different era.   But in his era, he had the highest QB rating for quite a few years after he was gone, until he was finally surpassed as the game changed.  

#39 Mloe68

Mloe68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:28 PM

a. Hunt

b. Hill

c. Mahomes

d. Reid

Tim Grunhard said today that after breaking down film of every game that Andy Reid is "putting on a coaching clinic" and has several plays he's used every week where he has just toyed with the opposing defenses. Andy's been the best coach in the NFL this season as he finally has a RB that can make plays again to make the whole thing work. 

#40 Biggjliv4

Biggjliv4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:57 PM

Watching this team play and the talent put together on the field that Reid has coached up really makes the firing of Dorsey tough to swallow. Sucked with contracts, but damn he found talent.
  • Dablueguy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users