Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Trump Defeats the NFL

Kaepernick Sucks

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 BroncoStud

BroncoStud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:28 AM

Recent polls suggest the NFL is now viewed less favorably than MLB (LOL)...  Viewership lost is now at record numbers, and Goodell is waving the surrender flag, the Donald wins another political war:

NFL Commish Tells Owners ‘We Believe That Everyone Should Stand’ For Anthem

In the wake of the ongoing imbroglio surrounding NFL players protesting during the playing of the national anthem — something that gained renewed steam this past weekend when Vice-President Mike Pence walked out of an Indianapolis Colts game due the players kneeling — NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has informed NFL owners that the league believes players should stand.

With Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Miami Dolphins head coach Adam Gase already telling athletes that they have to stand, and President Donald Trump congratulating Jones for his statement, it was reported that owners are looking at implementing a league-wide policy. Goodell’s letter seems to confirm that an NFL rule surrounding the anthem will be forthcoming.

https://www.mediaite...and-for-anthem/

#2 Mloe68

Mloe68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

Trump is such an egomaniac that's been worked over by the NFL for years, there was no doubt he was going to take antagonistic approach to this whole thing. It's not hard in this country to appeal to ignorant nationalism at all costs. And that stunt by Pencr this weekend was so laughably shortsighted and immature I find it almost hard to fathom.
In the end there's no League in this country that's more protective over its money than the NFL. If people just trust capitalism to run its course, the issue would be solved without the national embarrassment of our President flaming the fire.

#3 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:33 PM

Well Done Mr. President.

There are a million ways to get something done, disrespecting the flag and the anthem is not one of them.

w

#4 azchief21

azchief21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:14 PM

Who gives a rip......Go Chiefs!!!!

#5 azchief21

azchief21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:29 PM

Trump's tweet "not accurate"

http://thehill.com/b...rs-stand-during

#6 xen

xen

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:52 PM

Fake news

#7 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:44 PM

I heard on the news that the league will mandate players will stand...

W

#8 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:04 AM

Goodell today said no rule until owners players meeting next week.

#9 12go4kcinva

12go4kcinva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:46 AM

If it is not mandated...the NFL will continue to lose $$$$$...it is losing dollars..millions...sponsors who support the NFL are pulling out because they are losing millions of dollars. Give the players who wish to kneel the choice...stand...or leave...its real simple.

#10 Nibiru

Nibiru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:29 AM

Damn same they cant get anything thru congress
Actually I take that back
Good thing they can't pass any legislation, that is bound to hurt more people than the 1,600 or so NFL players

#11 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

Patriotic gestures should not be forced on anyone. I am rather certain that the Jehovah's witnesses who do not stand for anything feel pretty much the same about their country as the rest of us. If players conduct offends you don't watch it. It is the owners who have the right to demand certain conduct of the players. If the owners do not weigh in then that is their decision. Either way this is a tempest in a teapot that will go away on its own.

Way more important things to worry about than this.

#12 BroncoStud

BroncoStud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:53 PM

Patriotic gestures should not be forced on anyone. I am rather certain that the Jehovah's witnesses who do not stand for anything feel pretty much the same about their country as the rest of us. If players conduct offends you don't watch it. It is the owners who have the right to demand certain conduct of the players. If the owners do not weigh in then that is their decision. Either way this is a tempest in a teapot that will go away on its own.

Way more important things to worry about than this.

Yeah but there is already a rule in place that dictates players must stand for the National Anthem.  An ENFORCEABLE contractual rule.  The NFL has a real PR nightmare on their hands.  It's not as simple for them as "if you don't like it don't watch it", you know, since they're a business and all....................

#13 West

West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

Employers can prove that the workers are causing a "loss of revenue" due to their behavior and the courts say the owners CAN set rules that change the behavior.

Come on Wilkie, you are an attorney. You know all about this.

w
  • oldtimer likes this

#14 Mloe68

Mloe68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:21 PM

Yeah but there is already a rule in place that dictates players must stand for the National Anthem. An ENFORCEABLE contractual rule. The NFL has a real PR nightmare on their hands. It's not as simple for them as "if you don't like it don't watch it", you know, since they're a business and all....................

Incorrect. There is NO enforceable rule. But expect the league to come up with one that applies to the next CBA. The NFL is so much different than any other league just by the sheer number of roster players alone. The racial inequality issue really only applies to the NFL and NBA because this is where 90 percent of black athletes play. It's no coincidence they are the leagues where activism is most prevolenr.
Meanwhile lost on the media and many folks is how a sport Trump lauded for its Patriotisn (NASCAR) is having its worst playoff ratings EVER this year. While the NFL ratings have risen since Trumps rant and yet we have confused people believing this is some sort of Trump victory.
Reality is I doubt most people cared about a handful of players kneeling until the media again made it a much bigger issue than it should be. This drives ratings. It's why they promote polarizing meaningless issues like transgender bathrooms and avoid tangible important issues like the national debt.
But I'm just like anyone else, sick of hearing about it. That's what drives people away. Not the kneeling but the reality our temporary escape from reality is being stolen. This is where and why the NFL has to find a solution. Everything else is irrelevant.

#15 BroncoStud

BroncoStud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

Incorrect. There is NO enforceable rule.

You're correct about this, I was wrong, but there IS a policy in place and has been for years:

The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the NFL League Rulebook. It states:
"The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.
"During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition...
...It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.

#16 azchief21

azchief21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:35 PM

Hey BS & West, check out this video at around the 17:30 mark. Thoughts?

#17 Mloe68

Mloe68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:46 PM

You're correct about this, I was wrong, but there IS a policy in place and has been for years:

There is no mention of the national anthem in the actual NFL rulebook. There are no pages A62 or A63, either.

Page 62 deals with a “Foul committed during passing play,” “Foul during a backward pass or fumble,” “Foul during free kick play” and “Four during scrimmage kick play.” Page 63 continues with the scrimmage kick play, and then deals with a “Dead ball foul and foul between downs.”

This actually sounds a lot like the Code Red section of the Marine handbook at Guantanamo Bay. 

#18 mex

mex

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:36 PM

As a good libertarian, I could care less if they stand or kneel.

As a good American, I hope the players receive the 'attention' they've been asking for, in the form of a free market response

#19 Mloe68

Mloe68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:11 AM

As a good libertarian, I could care less if they stand or kneel.

As a good American, I hope the players receive the 'attention' they've been asking for, in the form of a free market response

Specific to the NFL is like to see them donate a good chunk of change towards the issue and develop a committee led by players on how to use it. A statement that the league supports its players and wants to be at the forefront of any needed social change and likewise work hand in hand with the police to find tangible solutions. And in return the players stand at attention and are willing to add it to the CBA which would allow for fines and or suspensions for non compliance.
This is not about kneeling or not. I could also care less because we do live in a free society. I'm just sick of hearing about it. It disrupts the entertainment value of something I love to indulge in as a distraction from reality. This game is about bringing fans together, not tearing us apart.
  • mex likes this

#20 wilkie

wilkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationShagri La

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:09 AM

Employers can prove that the workers are causing a "loss of revenue" due to their behavior and the courts say the owners CAN set rules that change the behavior.Come on Wilkie, you are an attorney. You know all about this.w

It is the owners call not the NFL. It has to be in the players employment contract. Owners have not spoken out enough masse. Jerry Jones knelt with his players. So there is no consensus. BUT IT IS NOT DONALD TRUMPS BUSINESS. What the players are doing is not illegal. Forcing players to stand who don't want to stand is not a show of patriotism. Let them play football. This symbolism is like when we stand for the pledge of allegiance. We should stand to show respect. But if we don't stand it shouldn't affect you. If you choose to be offended, then you will be offended. Like those in my church who attend MASS but choose not to take communion. Priest dose not deny trappings of the church for those who don't take communion. Their choice. Does not affect my choice in the slightest. Called live and let live. Decide for yourselves if this is offensive behavior but don't decide it for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users